New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi..Tanong kulang kung kailan pwidi or saan ninyo ginagamit ang feature ng active cross or amplifier ang "PHASE 0-180 degrees"? TIA

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian_joyaxx View Post
    Hi..Tanong kulang kung kailan pwidi or saan ninyo ginagamit ang feature ng active cross or amplifier ang "PHASE 0-180 degrees"? TIA
    used for bridging the amplifiers to provide more power output.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The setting is used so that the sub or group of subs running on different amplifiers won't cancel out each other or the separates. If they cancel out, the phenomenon is what's called a standing wave. When that happens, volume seems to diminish right about the area where the standing waves are.

You can control where the standing waves would be or eliminate it altogether by adjusting the phase setting. The ideal outcome would be that the sound volumes are the same throughout the whole cabin. Moving or re-orienting the sub drivers were the old method for mitigating this problem. When the feature was added to amplifiers and/or crossovers, it made it possible to permanently attach the drivers and just tweak the phase settings.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The setting is used so that the sub or group of subs running on different amplifiers won't cancel out each other or the separates. If they cancel out, the phenomenon is what's called a standing wave. When that happens, volume seems to diminish right about the area where the standing waves are.

You can control where the standing waves would be or eliminate it altogether by adjusting the phase setting. The ideal outcome would be that the sound volumes are the same throughout the whole cabin. Moving or re-orienting the sub drivers were the old method for mitigating this problem. When the feature was added to amplifiers and/or crossovers, it made it possible to permanently attach the drivers and just tweak the phase settings.
    i doubt that this feature in the amplifiers or active crossovers can totally prevent acoustical cancellation unless the devices provide fine adjustments. In the amps or crossovers, the control for the phase inversion is a switch. It is only possible to do a 180 phase inversion and not any value in between 0-180.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OyiL View Post
    i doubt that this feature in the amplifiers or active crossovers can totally prevent acoustical cancellation unless the devices provide fine adjustments. In the amps or crossovers, the control for the phase inversion is a switch. It is only possible to do a 180 phase inversion and not any value in between 0-180.
    My dad uses a Blaupunkt THb-210 powered sub (pic shown below) in his Starex. The phase setting is continuously variable from 0 to 180 degrees and does have a perceived effect to the listener. I would guess that phase cancellation is happening between it and the front seps due to the relatively long cabin of this particular van for the sub frequencies to travel to.

I do agree however that the setting you mentioned (phase switch of either 0 or 180) is used as correction to make sure that all drivers are working together and not against, since different system amps or processors would probably invert the signal in any of the audio stages.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian_joyaxx View Post
    Phase is so that the sound from your sub reaches you at the same time as the sound from your speakers. If your getting an echo set your phase to 0. They are usually adjustable from 0 to 180 degrees.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    That added feature is called slopes.

-6dB/octave = 90 degree phase shift
    -12dB/octave = 180 degree phase shift
    -18dB/octave = 270 degree phase shift
    -24dB/octave = 360 degree phase shift

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Crossover cutoff frequency are there to filter frequency not to pass to your speaker, however it is not cutting off frequency totally after the set cutoff, it has a gradual reduction in db.. e.g if your LPF cutoff frequency for the sub is 60hz meaning only 60hz is going to yor sub but it still plays some tones a bit higher than 60Hz but is controlled by your slopes. If you set at a -6db slope it will reduce at a rate of -6b/ octave, -12db/oct and so on and so fort..

This is a feature to control cancellation on crossover frecuencies of two drivers like tweeter and midrange/ midbass to sub.. An RTA is used to see the cancellation of frequencies, most often it can be corrected by adjusting the slopes on cutoff frequencies.

Some crossover and amp put them in degrees of phase shift to control your slopes.

HTH

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    My dad uses a Blaupunkt THb-210 powered sub (pic shown below) in his Starex. The phase setting is continuously variable from 0 to 180 degrees and does have a perceived effect to the listener. I would guess that phase cancellation is happening between it and the front seps due to the relatively long cabin of this particular van for the sub frequencies to travel to.

I do agree however that the setting you mentioned (phase switch of either 0 or 180) is used as correction to make sure that all drivers are working together and not against, since different system amps or processors would probably invert the signal in any of the audio stages.

talbog ako dito. i take back my word. this is the first time i saw this feature. this can actually help reduce acoustical cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Phase is so that the sound from your sub reaches you at the same time as the sound from your speakers. If your getting an echo set your phase to 0. They are usually adjustable from 0 to 180 degrees.
    the inside cabin of a short vehicle wont be able to create a percievable echo. kahit na 180 degrees out-of-phase yung signals from the front speakers compared to the rear speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    That added feature is called slopes.

-6dB/octave = 90 degree phase shift
    -12dB/octave = 180 degree phase shift
    -18dB/octave = 270 degree phase shift
    -24dB/octave = 360 degree phase shift
    hmm.. i dont get the relationship between these two unit of measure db/octave vs. degrees phase shift.

Phase 0-180 degrees ?