New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    sino ba naka-car personal computer dito? patingin naman ng pics how you set it up...

putting serious thought into getting one into my long distance driving vehicle. i need to check e-mails kasi lagi, and then create emails on-the-go (parati na kasi pinapadala sa far flung regions ng luzon eh, minsan may ro-ro travel pa, i dont like to fly). my average driving time for branch office travel is 5-8 hours.

sayang yung oras. so with me in the passenger seat, connect via portable usb internet stick, then fire off a couple dozen emails. tapos palit kami ni wife sya naman (we get lots of emails).

additional bonuses would be the integrated video playing, music capability, GPS and car diagnostics in real time via software connected to the ECU.

pagbaba sa kotse, yung umpcs naman namin gamitin, hehe.

so, in a nutshell, ganito iniisip ko na set up (do give your opinions kung feasible or not), ghetto setup lang on a budget, nothing fancy. all in one solution lang so i wont have to buy multiple devices pa:

1. base pc unit, 2nd hand laptop na pent 4, mounted under the seat or under the dash or in the rear compartment.

2. touch screen lcd, connected to the laptop, velcro mounted sa dash.

3. sound interface via wireless.

4. keyboard interface via wireless.

5. scantool connecting to obd2 ecu

6. garmin gps for PCs and cheap china receiver mounted sa rear windsshield

7. powered by inverter straight to batt

8. front end would either be roadrunner or windows 7 ultimate na media center

opinions naman po...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Get a motorola milestone na lang sir. May GPS, games and also sync emails instantly.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    There was a time that I wanted to go this route. Ang sarap magbasa sa MP3car.

The only discouragement for me is that most of the important stuff aren't available locally... PSU, 2-DIN touchscreen, etc. Not to mention the item and shipping cost of having those items sent here is outrageous, and then some.

I'm a bit of a purist kasi so if I wanted it done, I would do it properly. So I didn't consider using laptops or notebooks as the CPU. I wanted the CPU to be modular so upgrades can be done incrementally.

In my disappointment, I just went mainstream and bought a quality 2-DIN Kenwood with all the bells and whistles I need.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually you can just use a NETBOOK PC for all your on-the-road computing needs.

I would suggest NOT to have the PC fixed to your vehicle. Just have a portable clip-on table or lap-table for convenient netbook placement.

Do note that even some netbooks have built-in 3G functionality so a 3G internet USB dongle might not be needed if your netbook had that feature.

Keep GPS navigation function separate from the PC. Although it might be fun to integrate everything into the PC's functions, it would be better and safer to have this particular function into it's own device like a GARMIN nav unit on the dashboard or a GPS enabled mobile phone (iphone, nokia smartphone, etc) with mobile phone holder.

As for powering the netbook, any off-the-shelf DC-AC in-car inverter will do. Just make sure the car's DC-socket fuse will have enough AMP rating for it not to burn out.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Probably your biggest challenge here is the integration with the engine management through OBDII. That will require additional hardware and the software front-end. GPS navigation could also be an issue, since the locally available free map only runs on Garmin devices and software.

The basic idea behind a carputer is that the integration of all features should be seamless.... like it was part of the car when it came out of the factory. For instance, at the minimum, the computer should start up and go into standby gracefully with the turn of the key, hence, the necessity to use a specialized DC-DC PSU that supports ACPI to control the computer's power states.

Sarap sana mag-setup.. if only I had the time and resources.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    *OJ

dude nagppunta din ako sa mp3car dati, hehe. sarap tignan nung mga builds nila dun kaso mos of them would cut into the dash to fabricate a frame for the touchscreen. yoko yata nun. pero i've found touchscreen lcds sa raon, quiapo, and while medyo mahal, parang nakaka enganyo. mura rin lang lang yung 2nd hand na scantool/scanguage, may adapter na rin. dont know lang kung obd2 yung ecu ko (cefiro 98 model 2.0 v6 vq20).

*GH

yup, netbooks will do... but nice sana if i can have a computer that i can leave in the car all the time almost fully integrated into the vehicle itself. like having my own knight rider style KITT vehicle, hehehe. i'd love to have my wife or kids just surf the web while i drive, maybe update their facebook accounts while the're at it, without having to boot reboot a netbook... i'd just switch off the multimedia interface and open the browser and BAM fully functional PC...

*ronsalvador

i'll look that up. motorola milestone... meron ba dito nyan? teka...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    try this.

pwede ka naman mag XPC setup small siya or intel atom based mini-pc. tapos inverter lang ang problem mo lang is san mo ilalagay (mount) yung screen, keyboard and mouse.

kung typing and surfing = atom ka nalang kasi size wise kasing laki lang ng libro. encyclopedia.

pero if you want all in one try looking for MSI, LENOVO, ASUS. meron silang mga pc na parang nasa likod lang ng screen yung cpu nila.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    *OJ

dude nagppunta din ako sa mp3car dati, hehe. sarap tignan nung mga builds nila dun kaso mos of them would cut into the dash to fabricate a frame for the touchscreen. yoko yata nun. pero i've found touchscreen lcds sa raon, quiapo, and while medyo mahal, parang nakaka enganyo. mura rin lang lang yung 2nd hand na scantool/scanguage, may adapter na rin. dont know lang kung obd2 yung ecu ko (cefiro 98 model 2.0 v6 vq20).

*GH

yup, netbooks will do... but nice sana if i can have a computer that i can leave in the car all the time almost fully integrated into the vehicle itself. like having my own knight rider style KITT vehicle, hehehe. i'd love to have my wife or kids just surf the web while i drive, maybe update their facebook accounts while the're at it, without having to boot reboot a netbook... i'd just switch off the multimedia interface and open the browser and BAM fully functional PC...

*ronsalvador

i'll look that up. motorola milestone... meron ba dito nyan? teka...

Well, a couple of netbooks and a 3G modem/router in your car powered by the in-car inverter.

If you want a "built-in" look, you can have the netbooks in sleep mode (for that instant-on), with external LCD screens and USB keyboard and mouse.

The actual netbooks can be mounted under the car seats. Each seat can have it's own netbook or using a PC share system (but this compromises performance).

You could even save some money by purchasing the older 8.9inch netbooks as second hand units since many people are upgrading to bigger netbooks or faster notebooks.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badaboom View Post
    try this.

pwede ka naman mag XPC setup small siya or intel atom based mini-pc. tapos inverter lang ang problem mo lang is san mo ilalagay (mount) yung screen, keyboard and mouse.

kung typing and surfing = atom ka nalang kasi size wise kasing laki lang ng libro. encyclopedia.

pero if you want all in one try looking for MSI, LENOVO, ASUS. meron silang mga pc na parang nasa likod lang ng screen yung cpu nila.

Instead of building an intel atom based mini-pc, save the time and effort by buying a used netbook PC. Many are already selling their Asus, MSi, Acer, Lenovo, etc netbooks at low prices.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    *OJ

Actually, that's the reason ang hinahanap ko is yung 2-DIN na touchscreen. Most cars have provisions for 2-DIN HUs using aftermarket dashkits so wala nang sisirain.

You can't use the ScanGauge to hook up to a carputer. You will need a PC-based hardware+software solution like Digimoto or blaZt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
patingin naman ng Car PC setups nyo