New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Dear All

First off a big hello to everyone as i am a newbie to this site.

Secondly

I wonder if anybody could help me with a problem I have on a Japanese imported Pajero, 2000 x reg DiD lwb which I only took delivery of on Friday. I am in the UK

The problem is with the radio, basically it is a top of the range unit with a separate LCD screen, below it in a separate unit is the controls for the unit, (all buttons in Japanese not too much of a problem) press one of the buttons on the top right of the unit and the front comes down to reveal a tape unit, under the dash is a separate mini disk player and under the passenger front seat is a cd/sat nay system... as you can appreciate I am reluctant to get rid of this set-up as it also controls the air conditioning and the compass and temp gauge as well as the TV and rear reversing camera, My problem is that apart from the radio buttons being in Japanese most of what is seen on the LCD screen is in Japanese as well i have had a radion band expander installed so i can get the Radio in the UK ok apart from the frequency being 20 out and also the CD works fine.

I do not have a manual for the Radio and don't even know what make it is, but what I need is a name of someone that maybe can convert this system to English for me.

I was wondering if any other users of this forum have had similar problems and how they have overcome it, or even if anybody could throw some light as to a maker and model number of this radio.

I would really be grateful for any help or advice you could give me, I have also included a photograph of the unit just in case.

http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/76/67/7787667.s.jpg?ch=1&rr=15:51:14

http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/76/66/7787666.s.jpg?ch=1&rr=15:51:14

i do not know if the above will work but basically they are of the radio with the LCD screen above and one of the radio control buttons.
    I have put both the image and the hyperlink so fingers crossed you will be able to see the images.

Thank you all in advance

Kind regards

Martin

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Martin,

Im not familiar with your problem. May I ask how much you bought your Paj and where? 4 door? And how its doing? Thanks

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi and WELCOME!!!!

Looks like a 1DIN unit to me. I guess you could have it replaced with an aftermarket HU. Have you had it checked by your local Car Stereo store?

If you were in the Philippines, that wouldnt be a problem at all considering the sheer number of 'electricians' we have.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even if you replace your head unit with an aftermarket one (which has its own display), you can still keep the OEM LCD screen for use with your climate control and the other information display.

Problem is, most of what is displayed is in Japansese. You may have to swap out parts (at the dealer) to get it to display in English.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Originally posted by xox
    Martin,

Im not familiar with your problem. May I ask how much you bought your Paj and where? 4 door? And how its doing? Thanks
    Good morning and thank you for the post,

I paid £18000 for the Pajero, which in all honesty is a fair price, i did look around before i bought it and it only has 30000 miles on the clock, it has every extra on it except leather, it is also diesel which helps in the UK.
    i bought from a local dealer in London they are quite big, called Autoplanet, i could have bought one privately but at least i have the dealer backup even if i did pay about £300 more, and i got a years warrenty as well, which helps.

The saleman did make me aware of the radio, but being a computer programmer logic dictates and i cannot belive that this radio cannot be rechipped for English or at least have a menu option somewhere to change the language set, lets be fair everything else modern these days does even my toaster, i mean the car is only 3 years old, i think it is just a matter of finding someone who has already done this or get a number or email of Mitsubishi technical department in Japan which noone seems to know .

The car is fantastic very clean for its age not a mark on it and it drives brilliantly.

As for a radio model number i have found one behind the front cover which comes down to reveal the cassette slot,
    It says Mitsubishi motors YO90

Anyway sorry to prattle on

I hope the above helps

Kind regards

Martin

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Dear All

Thank you all for the help

I have found a model number for the radio it is

Mitsubishi motors YO90

Does this help at all

Kind regards

Martin

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Martin,

your problem seems to be very unique...i'm affraid the best bet is to have Japanese reading people doing the translation for you (maybe befriending a japanese from their embasy would help).

As for the screen, I'm afraid there is no easy fix for that because the chip used in there were all japanese version. Japanese LCD display units are usually not convertible to english. You'll have to learn kanji or nipongo to read that.

even here in the philippines, we avoid a japanese car stereo (even if it is that hi-tech as yours).

Maybe emailing mitsubishi would do some help too.

my 2 cents.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    hi po.. tagalog po ba kayo? sana po tagalog kayo. kasi di po me malunong mg english..
    pero po kng babasahin lng po japaniz wala po prob para sakin..dun po kasi me lumaki.. kaya lng po kasi maliit un pic. nyo.. un menu and back lng po nakita ko.. wala po kayo mas malaki pa pic.? or,, tapos na po itong issu na to..??
    Last edited by tagalog grl; February 3rd, 2005 at 03:38 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think the issue has been solved since the post prior to yours was dated 04-07-2004.

Japanese import Radio Problem