New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    im finally upgrading my stock head unit ( 2013 honda city) to pioneer avh 1550. currently i have jbl seps at front and jbl coaxials at back being powered by jbl 640 watts 4 ch amp...since im going to get a HU that has bulit in amp, im planning on having the HU power 1 pair of the speakers ( front or back?) then ill have channel 1 and 2 for the other pair of speakers and have channel 3 and 4 bridged for a 10-12 inch sub...does this make sense? which is better powered by the amp ( and the HU) the front or the back speakers or does it matter at all...finally for my subwoofer issue im not planning on joining any competitions or need a booming setup. just that needed punch to complete the sound experience. should i get a 10 or 12 inch sub, single or dual voice coill? sealed or ported enclosure? please bear in mind the limitation of the amp to be used to power the sub since im not open to purchase another amp just to power a subwoofer...

thanks guys

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Just the back. For rear fill only. 10" w/ DVC should be fine (but wait what car, and what's the objective?).

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for that wildthing...the car as stated above is a 2013 honda city. sq setup.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    just the basic setup will do sir. ch 1 and 2 separates then ch 3 and 4 bridged for the sub. I still like the accuracy of svc for sq setup, it's not hard hitting, more on the mellow throw.

12inch para ramdam yung bass pero 10 pwede rin just to complete the sound.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ^ + 1. Now about the sub, check your amp if it has enough juice to power a sub. BTW, check out marcopilyo subs in sulit. Got an enclosure from him before for a 12" sub powered by a small 60w x 4 JBL CS series amp. And I tell you the bass is more than enough. The only downside is the trunk space.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by extrarice311 View Post
    im finally upgrading my stock head unit ( 2013 honda city) to pioneer avh 1550. currently i have jbl seps at front and jbl coaxials at back being powered by jbl 640 watts 4 ch amp...since im going to get a HU that has bulit in amp, im planning on having the HU power 1 pair of the speakers ( front or back?) then ill have channel 1 and 2 for the other pair of speakers and have channel 3 and 4 bridged for a 10-12 inch sub...does this make sense? which is better powered by the amp ( and the HU) the front or the back speakers or does it matter at all...finally for my subwoofer issue im not planning on joining any competitions or need a booming setup. just that needed punch to complete the sound experience. should i get a 10 or 12 inch sub, single or dual voice coill? sealed or ported enclosure? please bear in mind the limitation of the amp to be used to power the sub since im not open to purchase another amp just to power a subwoofer...

thanks guys
    Front: Separates (Channels 1&2 JBL GT5-A604)
    Rear: Coaxial (Head unit)
    Sub: Sub (Bridged channels 3&4 JBL GT5-A604)
    JBL GT5-12 with 1 cu.ft. sealed box should set you back less than 5,000php.

10 vs 12 - Increasing the displacement only increases the decibel output (around 3dBs) given the same subwoofer model. Other than that, you have to take account linear xmax (google it) and power.

SVC vs DVC - dual voice coils simply allows more creative ways on how to wire the subwoofer. For simplicity sake, just get a SVC 4ohms version. Sound quality stays the same, even if there's an increase in THD, you won't hear it as subwoofers throw out gobs of distortion to begin with.

Sealed vs Ported - generally, sealed needs a smaller enclosure but ported yields a huge decibel boost at its tuning frequency. As you're without an EQ, you can't tame the peak of the ported one.. so stick with sealed.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; June 1st, 2013 at 03:25 PM.