New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hi mga tsikoteers,

Sorry but I already tried reasearching thru search engines, forums and the like to answer my question.

Im not even sure if my 'term' is correct...

What is the difference between a 'powered' speaker (speakers with amps) and a 'non-powered' speaker (speaker connected directly to the HU)??

Im in the process of starting to upgrade my sound system and I have heard about the seps and coaxial speakers to have amps as well.. (like the subs) so I was wondering if those speakers are different in any way? or is it the same?

I went to a shop that told me they have this speaker that can be connected to my HU... then I asked 'how about kung lalagyan ko ng amp din?' they said pwede din daw.. so strangely.. as far as I know. pag may amp.. lalakas siya.. buti hindi sumasabog yung speakers diba? kasi 50watts lang yung sa HU ko.. tapos lalagyan ko pa ng amp yung speakers.. eh di mas mataas ang watts na lalabas..

Thanks sa makakapag explain.. highly appreciated!

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    all speakers are powered. it needs electric current to be able to produce vibrations to create the sounds we hear..

the best example i can cite is,, for example you have a car that is only 1.0,that would produce enought power to push your car along.. but a 3.0 car will have more power..

so in effect your head unit has an amplifier already.. kaya lang 50watts lang.. so by adding a external amplifier you are therefore increasing the wattage.. lets jst say on average amp are 500watts, so it therefore has more power to produce a more stable supply to your speakers..

the othing you should look at is the wattage rating of your speakers.. xempre if your speaker are only rated for 25 watts and you connect it to a 500watt amp.. i think the outcome is obvious..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Powered or active speakers technically refers to speaker systems which has an integrated amplifier. Integrated meaning, the amp is built right into the speaker housing and have connectors for AC/DC power + line audio input. This is usually the case with small to mid-sized PA systems.

In cars, I believe the correct term would be inboard vs outboard amplification. Inboard means that the speakers are powered by the HU's built-in amp. Outboard; when you use an external amp to drive the speakers.

Which one is better depends on usage. The latter in most cases will provide you better sound quality and clarity even if you push the system. Weaker amps tends to distort when cranked up.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Sir, with amp means mas mabibigay ng speakers mo ang todo niya. Like for seps, usually ang RMS nila is 50watts pero ang max is 300 watts. Mas lalakas ang sigaw ng speakers mo with the amps. Hindi naman siya sasabog kung pipiliin mo yung amp na compatible sa speakers mo in terms of watts.

#1 rule, wag titipirin ang wires and RCAs para sa amp mo kung ayaw mong masunugan ka ng kotse. try sticking with stinger, though medyo pricey it'll save you money in the long run.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    so if I understand it correctly.. for example i have a 600 watt 4 channel amplifier. I need I high watt speaker so it will be compatible with the amplifier and it will sound good and louder..

If i use the same high watt speaker without any amplifier... it will sound weaker with just the head unit powering it up?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    a powered (or active) speaker has a built-in amplifier inside its enclosure

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by olidotcom View Post
    Hi mga tsikoteers,

Sorry but I already tried reasearching thru search engines, forums and the like to answer my question.

Im not even sure if my 'term' is correct...

What is the difference between a 'powered' speaker (speakers with amps) and a 'non-powered' speaker (speaker connected directly to the HU)??

Im in the process of starting to upgrade my sound system and I have heard about the seps and coaxial speakers to have amps as well.. (like the subs) so I was wondering if those speakers are different in any way? or is it the same?

I went to a shop that told me they have this speaker that can be connected to my HU... then I asked 'how about kung lalagyan ko ng amp din?' they said pwede din daw.. so strangely.. as far as I know. pag may amp.. lalakas siya.. buti hindi sumasabog yung speakers diba? kasi 50watts lang yung sa HU ko.. tapos lalagyan ko pa ng amp yung speakers.. eh di mas mataas ang watts na lalabas..

Thanks sa makakapag explain.. highly appreciated!

pare ganito kasi yun,,, pag ang speaker mo ay kinabit sa HU mo mahina diba?????
    at diba kaya nga mag uupgrade ka ng car audio dahil wala sa quality ang audio mo o kaya cguro nahihinaan ka sa audio ng car mo,
    wla nmn speaker na nasabog pare, nasusunog lang po yan pag mas mataas ang watts ng amplifier mo kesa speaker
    at sa watts naman mas maganda tunog kung mas mataas at syempre sa quality ng speakers mo,
    yung sa speakers naman na tanung mo iba iba ang klase ng speakers kasi lahat sila may corresponding na frequency
    tulad ng subs un yung nag nagbibigay ng bass
    at yung coaxial speakers naman ay un yung sa vocal, mid and tweeter yan ang 3way speaker at isa pa hindi mo yan pwedeng ikabit sa iisang linya lahat ng yan dahil kailangan pa niyan ng crossover network para maghiwahiwalay ang frequency na lalabas sa amp mo kung walang crossover ang amp mo

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    now i got it.. much clearer now. thanks po sa mga nag reply.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    thanks po ulit sa mga sumagot.. mods you can lock this thread now.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    mga sir tanong lang po,. ilan watts po kya maganda sa front nd rear speaker ng crosswind xuvi?
    nasira po kz parang may sabog ang sound.. my ampli na po ako na alpine 12' at NBN sub wooper w/built in ampli din..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Difference between Powered and Non-Powered Speakers