New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Since most subwoofer talk is partial to size and power, let me go the other way.

I just noticed that most computer subwoofers are really small, usually the size of a shoebox. (i.e. the one for the logitech z-640)

I have already have a subwoofer, but it robs the backseat of 2 passengers (it's a pickup truck). A subwoofer the size of a small box would tuck nicely in a corner. I might inquire at araneta auto center if they can fabricate such a subwoofer.

I've considered powered subwoofers, but decided against it, since I already have an amplifier.

I really don't care if it can't boom outside, since I'm more concerned about interior car entertainment.

What would be a suggested brand of compact subwoofers out there? I'm guessing it'll be 10 inches or even less.

Would a subwoofer of such dimensions be better of being sealed or ported?

and what would be the tradeoff for the size, aside from the loss of volume?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    this is an old Sony subwoofer ... mere 80 watts but works good enough for me

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Dude,

The size and design of a sub influences the sound quality and characteristics. Most subs get their low frequencies from a series of chambers within the sub's housing. Whether it's a ported or sealed design, what's impotant are the frequencies it can deliver to a given area.

Actually you can use a home sub woofer from a PC system for so long as the driving speaker is perfectly or closely matched to the amp. Parameters such as power (Watts), Impedance (Ohms) and Voltage(if powered) Should be observed. A controlled signal source is important so it is synchronised with the other speakers when the volume is adjusted.

I once used a top-mount sub from a Sony Trinitron (KV-FX25 i think) and mounted it on the ceiling of my Kia Pride ala Kenwood of the CRV Limited.

The unit worked well. I was able to get a Sony ES series HU with a sub out and wired it. The sub required 12 volts so I also had to provide +12 volts (ignition controlled) to it.

The only problems were the decreased head room for the back seat passengers and the Kia, being a crappy car that it is, had rattling door panels and windows! You could actually feel the glass of the tailgate resonate!

The advantage I had with that particular sub unit is that it was flat ( about 3-3.5 inches thick) so it saved space. The new owner of that kia later moved it to mount on the rear side of the back seat with velcro straps and detachable wiring so it's removable when he needs to fold down the seat for cargo.

You can convert a good branded home sub to work in your car. Problem most of the time is aesthetics and durability. Most plastics used in home systems aren't made to be exposed to hi temp. There are good branded subs (Altec, JBL, etc) in a lot of 2nd hand US surplus stores you can get for cheap. At least di ka manghihinayang sirain yung unit. That is way better than having one fabricated that's not even engineered for sound quality. Puro Hula-Hula (not the hawaiian kind)... In short, a plywood box wrapped in non woven fabric with a gigantic woofer.... Very Banawe hehehehe....

Hope this helps

Boyd

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    That's a very informative post, sir boyd.

just a question, with the power being supplied independently from the amplifier, would there still be a use for the amplifier? or would the output be straight from the head unit?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    sakin AVT compact sub, 8 inches sya and i placed it under the driver's seat. amplified na din and produces 180W kaya ok na sakin since i'm just after sound quality

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by recklus View Post
    sakin AVT compact sub, 8 inches sya and i placed it under the driver's seat. amplified na din and produces 180W kaya ok na sakin since i'm just after sound quality
    saan mo nabili ang AVT compact sub mo? How much also?

Thanks

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    Since most subwoofer talk is partial to size and power, let me go the other way.

I just noticed that most computer subwoofers are really small, usually the size of a shoebox. (i.e. the one for the logitech z-640)

I have already have a subwoofer, but it robs the backseat of 2 passengers (it's a pickup truck). A subwoofer the size of a small box would tuck nicely in a corner. I might inquire at araneta auto center if they can fabricate such a subwoofer.

I've considered powered subwoofers, but decided against it, since I already have an amplifier.

I really don't care if it can't boom outside, since I'm more concerned about interior car entertainment.

What would be a suggested brand of compact subwoofers out there? I'm guessing it'll be 10 inches or even less.

Would a subwoofer of such dimensions be better of being sealed or ported?

and what would be the tradeoff for the size, aside from the loss of volume?
    Try those Amplified subwoofer like V12 and NBN size would be 10" it really saves a lot of space.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    First things first, you gotta check the amount of space you have to work with bro. Might want to bring your ride to a good installer and let him check it out so he can discuss the options with you.

There are a ton of good 10" subs but if space is really too tight, you also have a few good 8" sub options now as well.

(as for the type of box - sealed boxes are quite a bit smaller than ported boxes so when space is a major issue, that might really be your only option. Only way to know for sure is to discuss with your installer after he checks out your ride )

compact subwoofer?