New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Is there anyone using a class G amplifier? How does it compare to a more mainstream class A/B and class D types?
    I saw Ground Zero GZRA 4.100G and it seems to be an interesting purchase for a beginner's set-up.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
    Is there anyone using a class G amplifier? How does it compare to a more mainstream class A/B and class D types?
    I saw Ground Zero GZRA 4.100G and it seems to be an interesting purchase for a beginner's set-up.
    A Class G amplifier is pretty much a mix of Class A/B and D. It has something to do with how they switch rails and etc. if I were to simplify it. Think of it as a highly efficient Class A/B amplifier.

My verdict? I'd still stay away from them. Circuitry designs of Class G topologies aren't common and this means there's less good "generic" schematics out in the internet. Although Ground Zero is a well reputed brand, I'll still stick with the more conventional Class A/B amplifiers because they're more mature (getting a bad circuitry design is rare).

I do believe that Class D topologies are the future of car audio due to its efficiency. However, my favorites aren't cheap (it starts with Alpine's PDX series and at the top stands JL's HD900/5) and low-cost Class Ds aren't really all that great although most people won't really hear the "difference".

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    A Class G amplifier is pretty much a mix of Class A/B and D. It has something to do with how they switch rails and etc. if I were to simplify it. Think of it as a highly efficient Class A/B amplifier.

My verdict? I'd still stay away from them. Circuitry designs of Class G topologies aren't common and this means there's less good "generic" schematics out in the internet. Although Ground Zero is a well reputed brand, I'll still stick with the more conventional Class A/B amplifiers because they're more mature (getting a bad circuitry design is rare).

I do believe that Class D topologies are the future of car audio due to its efficiency. However, my favorites aren't cheap (it starts with Alpine's PDX series and at the top stands JL's HD900/5) and low-cost Class Ds aren't really all that great although most people won't really hear the "difference".
    Thanks for this input Sir Jhnkvn.