New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Audio pips, i bought a kicker ZR120 amp a while back and never got around to installing it (was suppose to use it to power my rear fill, but later decided not to have rear fill anymore). Im thinking about just giving this old, but brand new amp to my kid brother, who just recently got bit by the car-audio bug. He started buying his components piece by piece, like most of us did after saving our allowances/salaries, and he already has seps for his front stage, coaxials for rear fill and an amp for the seps. Hes planning on getting (1) JL Audio sub next, specifically a 12w0 or the new 12w1. My question is, will the amp im planning to give him be enough to power either model sub (12w0 or 12w1)? The Kicker ZR120 amps specs are:
    4 ohm bridged mono = rms 120
    2 ohm bridged mono = rms 180
    If not, i may just sell the damn thing. Anyway, hope you can give me advice and thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    that amp should be enough to power the sub.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlryds
    that amp should be enough to power the sub.
    Thanks sir kewlryds! By the way, im assuming you meant both subs when you said the amp has enpugh power for it. Quick question lang ulit, Have you heard both subs na? Which one sounds better? Is there a huge price difference between them? Thanks!

IMO 12W1 will sound better, and it has more Power Handling capabilities. However subjective naman yan, and its a JL, sigurado akong malambot ang bayo niyan. Get an amp that is 2 or even 1 ohm stable for your sub with at least 200 watts RMS. Look for old school amps -> Soundstream, Orion, Precision Power, Alphine, etc.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    IMO 12W1 will sound better, and it has more Power Handling capabilities. However subjective naman yan, and its a JL, sigurado akong malambot ang bayo niyan. Get an amp that is 2 or even 1 ohm stable for your sub with at least 200 watts RMS. Look for old school amps -> Soundstream, Orion, Precision Power, Alphine, etc.
    2ohm stable yung amp na bibigay ko sa utol ko (Kicker ZR120) but its output is only 180 watts RMS, he'll be using it to power either 12W0 or 12W1v2. How do i wire the sub to the amp para maging 2ohm yung load? Kasi pag dual voice coil na sub like the 12W6v2 which i have, parallel ko winawire to get the 2 ohm load. Pano ko wiwire yung sub to amp kung single voice coil like the W0 and W1v2?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    for me i dont think na kakayanin ng kicker ZR120 yung 12w1v2....

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baurtwellXUV
    for me i dont think na kakayanin ng kicker ZR120 yung 12w1v2....
    What about the W0?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    your amp is rated at 120watts * 4ohms and 180watts *2ohms. factor in that the zr line is one of those amps that are under rated by the manufacturer...it actually puts out a little more than what's quoted. the subs on the other hand are rated in the 125-150watt range. you're amp is within the ideal power range to drive the subwoofers.

Quote Originally Posted by psych_on
    2ohm stable yung amp na bibigay ko sa utol ko (Kicker ZR120) but its output is only 180 watts RMS, he'll be using it to power either 12W0 or 12W1v2. How do i wire the sub to the amp para maging 2ohm yung load? Kasi pag dual voice coil na sub like the 12W6v2 which i have, parallel ko winawire to get the 2 ohm load. Pano ko wiwire yung sub to amp kung single voice coil like the W0 and W1v2?
    Sir for your reference:
    JL 12W1
    http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W1_BDS.pdf
    Continuous Power Handling = 125 watts
    Nominal Impedence = Single 4 Ohms

sorry 4ohms pala yung 12W1

Based on the specs, your amp should be able to handle the power requirements of the Sub.

JL 12W0
    http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pd...2_15W0_MAN.pdf

Nominal Impedence = Single 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms
    Last edited by ILuvDetailing; July 13th, 2005 at 01:05 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    Sir for your reference:
    JL 12W1
    http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W1_BDS.pdf
    Nominal Impedence = Single 4 Ohms

sorry 4ohms pala yung 12W1

Based on the specs, your amp should be able to handle the power requirements of the Sub.

JL 12W0
    http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pd...2_15W0_MAN.pdf

Nominal Impedence = Single 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms
    Maraming salamat sir! The diagram in the link you sent was exactly what i was looking for!

Amp and SUB compatibility