New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    hey guys i just bought a pair of new 2007 kicker cvr 12's. i have 2 amplifiers but not sure which amp to use. the sub needs 400 watts RMS which is 800 watts RMS for both. audio gurus please help me out?

Kenwood KAC-7252

# two-channel car amplifier
    # 170 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (250 watts x 2 at 2 ohms)
    # 500 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
    # high- and low-pass filters (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave high and 24 dB/octave low) per octave)
    # variable bass boost with wired remote (0-18 dB, 40-100 Hz)
    # MOSFET power supply
    # Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
    # CEA-2006 compliant
    # cooling fan
    # preamp- and speaker-level inputs
    # preamp outputs
    # THD 0.08%
    # fuse rating: 40A x 1
    # 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
    # 15"W x 2-1/2"H x 11-5/16"D

OR should i use this one

Crunch pzi 250.2

* RMS * 4-Ohms: 250W x 2-Ch
    * RMS * 2-Ohms: 500W x 2-Ch
    * RMS * 4-Ohms: 1000W x 1-Ch
    * Dynamic Music Watts
    * SEPP A/B-Class PZi Amplifier Designs
    * Bridgeable Designs
    * Illuminated, Large New Design Crunch Logo
    * PZi. MOSFET Pulse Wave Modulated Power Supply For Instant Maxx Current Output
    * 2-Ohm Capable A/B Class
    * Rugged MOSFET Audio Outputs
    * PZi Amp Protection with System Diagnostics LED's That Protects Against:
    o Current / Amperage Overload
    o Short Circuits
    o Thermal Overload
    o DC Offset
    * Hi-Level Speaker Lead Inputs
    * Silver Preamp Level RCA Inputs
    * Daisy Chain Line Outputs
    * Versa Cross™ Sound Shaping Controls:
    o Mono/Stereo Switch
    o HP/LP/Full-Pass Freq. Selections (30 Hz to 250 Hz Low-Pass)
    * Input Level Control (0.2 to 5V)
    * Oversized Speaker Terminals
    * THD 0.05%
    * fuse rating: 30a x 2

what does THD mean? the higher the number the better? i know kenwood is CEA-2006 compliant but only has a 40 amp fuse(which is about 4-500watts). the kenwood manual say its 1000 watts max. but i dont believe the max of anything just the RMS. i think the specs are more real compared to crunch. the crunch amp has two 30 amp fuses(which is 6-700watts). heard that for every 10 amps on the amp fuse is about 100 watts. so im not sure which amp to use because they both say 1000 watts max but have different size fuses. i like the kenwood because i know they shoud have better quality. on the other hand i think the crunch has more power. i need 400 watts for each sub. please let me know what would be my best amp choice. thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Those are 2 ohm DVC subs, right? If thats the case, given your amps, I'll wire each sub using one voice coil only. Each sub will be 2 ohms. One sub per channel. I'll use the Crunch. Each sub will get 500 watts, assuming crunch's figures are accurate. Your subs will be a little over powered but nothing to worry about.

THD is total harmonic distortion. Its a measurment of the sound distortion. Its a complex mathematical formula. You can look it up in wiki if you want. Rule of thumb, you wont notice or hear anything less than 1%. IMO, you can basically forget about this with subs.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Those are 2 ohm DVC subs, right? If thats the case, given your amps, I'll wire each sub using one voice coil only. Each sub will be 2 ohms. One sub per channel. I'll use the Crunch. Each sub will get 500 watts, assuming crunch's figures are accurate. Your subs will be a little over powered but nothing to worry about.

THD is total harmonic distortion. Its a measurment of the sound distortion. Its a complex mathematical formula. You can look it up in wiki if you want. Rule of thumb, you wont notice or hear anything less than 1%. IMO, you can basically forget about this with subs.

i got the 4ohm dvc subs. im goin to wire it in series to have my amp run at 2ohm. so u think the crunch would be better?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    you have to wire in parallel to get 2 ohms. Series wiring will give you 8 ohms.

The Crunch should be better given the ratings. The Kenwood will only put out 250 watts per channel at 2 ohms. Your sub can take 400 watts. I am basing my opinon on the ratings as I have no experience with either of your amps.

If you want max power, wire the 4 voice coils in series parallel. Wire both subs in series, giving you 2 8 ohm subs, then connect the 2 subs in parallel. Bridge your amp and it will see a 4 ohm load. You'll get 1000 watts from your Crunch. Even if its a bit overrated, you should still have lots of juice.
    Last edited by userfriendly; November 1st, 2007 at 10:43 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    JBL601.1 or kicker na rin

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    you have to wire in parallel to get 2 ohms. Series wiring will give you 8 ohms.

The Crunch should be better given the ratings. The Kenwood will only put out 250 watts per channel at 2 ohms. Your sub can take 400 watts. I am basing my opinon on the ratings as I have no experience with either of your amps.

If you want max power, wire the 4 voice coils in series parallel. Wire both subs in series, giving you 2 8 ohm subs, then connect the 2 subs in parallel. Bridge your amp and it will see a 4 ohm load. You'll get 1000 watts from your Crunch. Even if its a bit overrated, you should still have lots of juice.
    opps i meant parellel. i have dvc 4ohm subs.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toolightz View Post
    JBL601.1 or kicker na rin
    what??? im not sure what ur saying bro.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi730 View Post
    hey guys i just bought a pair of new 2007 kicker cvr 12's. i have 2 amplifiers but not sure which amp to use. the sub needs 400 watts RMS which is 800 watts RMS for both. audio gurus please help me out?

Kenwood KAC-7252

# two-channel car amplifier
    # 170 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (250 watts x 2 at 2 ohms)
    # 500 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
    # high- and low-pass filters (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave high and 24 dB/octave low) per octave)
    # variable bass boost with wired remote (0-18 dB, 40-100 Hz)
    # MOSFET power supply
    # Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
    # CEA-2006 compliant
    # cooling fan
    # preamp- and speaker-level inputs
    # preamp outputs
    # THD 0.08%
    # fuse rating: 40A x 1
    # 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
    # 15"W x 2-1/2"H x 11-5/16"D

OR should i use this one

Crunch pzi 250.2

* Dynamic Music Watts
    * SEPP A/B-Class PZi Amplifier Designs
    * Bridgeable Designs
    * Illuminated, Large New Design Crunch Logo
    * PZi. MOSFET Pulse Wave Modulated Power Supply For Instant Maxx Current Output
    * 2-Ohm Capable A/B Class
    * Rugged MOSFET Audio Outputs
    * PZi Amp Protection with System Diagnostics LED's That Protects Against:
    o Current / Amperage Overload
    o Short Circuits
    o Thermal Overload
    o DC Offset
    * Hi-Level Speaker Lead Inputs
    * Silver Preamp Level RCA Inputs
    * Daisy Chain Line Outputs
    * Versa Cross™ Sound Shaping Controls:
    o Mono/Stereo Switch
    o HP/LP/Full-Pass Freq. Selections (30 Hz to 250 Hz Low-Pass)
    * Input Level Control (0.2 to 5V)
    * Oversized Speaker Terminals
    * THD 0.05%
    * fuse rating: 30a x 2

what does THD mean? the higher the number the better? i know kenwood is CEA-2006 compliant but only has a 40 amp fuse(which is about 4-500watts). the kenwood manual say its 1000 watts max. but i dont believe the max of anything just the RMS. i think the specs are more real compared to crunch. the crunch amp has two 30 amp fuses(which is 6-700watts). heard that for every 10 amps on the amp fuse is about 100 watts. so im not sure which amp to use because they both say 1000 watts max but have different size fuses. i like the kenwood because i know they shoud have better quality. on the other hand i think the crunch has more power. i need 400 watts for each sub. please let me know what would be my best amp choice. thanks in advance.
    sorry my bad
    both amps you where referring are overrated!!! but in your case ill choose the crunch!!!If you really want to use both subs wire it unto 2ohms and be ready to sacrifice your cabin space assuming your gonna use a 2,2cft each subs!!!

BTW: in what car are you goin to use this subs?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toolightz View Post
    sorry my bad
    both amps you where referring are overrated!!! but in your case ill choose the crunch!!!If you really want to use both subs wire it unto 2ohms and be ready to sacrifice your cabin space assuming your gonna use a 2,2cft each subs!!!

BTW: in what car are you goin to use this subs?
    im putting them in my nissan sentra series 3.

which amp should i use for kicker cvr's?