New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I've just recently installed 2Subwoofers and 2Amplifiers but feel that there isn't enough cleanliness in sound reproduction nor enough "bump" in my bass.

Just want to know if Active Electronic Crossovers help reduce "hi freq/ alternator whining noise". I already had installed a generic RCA Ground Loop Noise Isolator but could still faintly hear the whine.

Any suggestions?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wala bang kasamang Xovers yung amp? baka kelangan nalang ng fine tuning/tweaking sa settings :D

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Originally posted by Tiny
    Just want to know if Active Electronic Crossovers help reduce "hi freq/ alternator whining noise". I already had installed a generic RCA Ground Loop Noise Isolator but could still faintly hear the whine.

Any suggestions?
    simple answer is....no. the ground loop noise isolator does the job of a stop-gap solution but i doesn't cure the problem. you'll have to go over your system to try to find the reason or sourse of the whine.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what are you using for your mids and highs? stock speakers ba, 3-way, or separates? if you have high-end amps and subs, but have anything less than high-quality separates up front, that could account for the lack of 'cleanliness of sound'.

what subs do you have? i personally found subs under 10" to not be adequate for truly deep bass that hits hard. if you have a large enough sub, the problem could also be not enough power with your amps.

equalizers and active x-overs are nice-to-haves, imo, but not necessary. i have built a couple of systems that hit very hard (as in audible down the street) without requiring either.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for all the replies, I think it's the usual alternator whine in addition to not knowing what settings to put LPF, HPF, XOver, Gain in. (I just used my ears in tuning)

HU - Pioneer DEH-P2500 (not sure ehehe)
    Speakers
    6.5 - Stock
    6 X 9 - Stock
    12" - Blaupunkt TSw1200 (RMS 200Watts)
    Amplifiers
    Alpine (fake) 1000 watts only not the new one

Thanks for the info, and I think from the replies I'd probably have to upgrade the whole 9 yards. =)

Regards,

Emerick

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by M54 Powered
    what are you using for your mids and highs? stock speakers ba, 3-way, or separates? if you have high-end amps and subs, but have anything less than high-quality separates up front, that could account for the lack of 'cleanliness of sound'.

what subs do you have? i personally found subs under 10" to not be adequate for truly deep bass that hits hard. if you have a large enough sub, the problem could also be not enough power with your amps.

equalizers and active x-overs are nice-to-haves, imo, but not necessary. i have built a couple of systems that hit very hard (as in audible down the street) without requiring either.
    have you tried or heard the 8" kicker subs? whats your stand on them?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by notEworthy27
    have you tried or heard the 8" kicker subs? whats your stand on them?
    have never owned them, but kickers put out a lot of quality bass for their size. no wonder you see them in all the audio competition

but don't have too high expectations for 8's...you'll get awesome sound and bass response within your cockpit, but if you're looking to be heard down the block hirap sila....

disclaimer...i'm not a pro or anything, just a 'reformed' audio enthusiast that spent waay too much on components over the years :D

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    so what your saying is, mejo mahina pa rin kung 8's ang kuhanin ko to get the right bayo if going to be heard outside?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    a single 8 MIGHT not be enough to if you want to be heard several feet away while coming down the road. using multiple 8"s could ge the results you want. some of you might say, why not just use a bigger sub instead of using multiple smaller ones. in some installs, it's easier or practical to use multiple smaller subs due to space constrains or it just plain looks more impressive.

on another note, i have seen and heard an 8" sub play loud enough to be heard across the street on fairly busy street. it was a single 8" ryan audio sub enclosed in a ported box installed in a renault twingo.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    What are the amps they could have used? I've compared the RMS/peak values of the subs. It seems the solobarics have been so far the highest. something like 1 solobaric = 2 subs. I want to get bigger subs, but just as you said, space constrain is a one reason why. I could remove the back seats, but that really takes off the use of a second cab. hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Active Electonic Crossovers