New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hello. Need some feedback regarding the price, value for money, performance, clarity and bass response of the ff. 6.5" separates:
    - MB Quart 218.03CX
    - Infinity Kappa 65.5CS
    - DLS (dunno which is the comparable model)
    - Boston Acoustics RC620
    - Focal Polykevlar 165 K2

I currently have a set of Boston Acoustics RC61s installed on an Expedition. I find the bass response and clarity from them to be just right, and the tweeters, though not as bright as MB Quarts, also to be just right. Now, I'm looking for another set for another install and unfortunately, the RC61s are no longer around.

Which of the 5 would be best overall? Which of the 5 would sound closely like the RC61s.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'd choose the focal polykevlar or the bostons(yan ba yung rally series? if those are rally series, maganda yan! ive listened to them na!)

as for the kevlars, a famous installer said that the 165k produces better midbass than the 165k2. however, the 165k2's have higher powerhandling and has more emphasis on "voices". pricewise, 165k2 is around 4-5 thousand more expensive. the better buy would be the 165k!
    8)

hope this helped!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks rain18!

yup, those bostons are the new rally series. would you know where i can audition a set?

a friend of mine has polykevlars, 165k2. he did mention that the midbass on them wasn't as good as on the 165k, but that he'd have a sub to compensate for them anyway. as to vocal clarity, the 165k2 was much clearer than the 165k, yun nga lang you'd need a good amp for them.

any other comments guys?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i can speak for the rc's since meron din ako nyan. you can audition them at autosport in megamall. however, they hook it up to a simple alpine HU and 20w alpine amp. not enough to really appreciate the seps. if you're planning to put em on your exped, get the rc820. kasya yan sa factory locations ng exped. its 5x7 woofers. neodymium din yun tweets nya like the pros and the woofers are new with AMD cooling tech stuff. also, there are additional slots on the xovers for two neo3r ambience tweets to raise the soundstage in case you mount them on kickpods. i find them very very good. the woofers sound great and the tweets do not bite.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks cardovr6!

Actually, I've got the RC61s on the Expedition, being driven by a DEH-P7450MP. Just had a spacer made to seal the oval hole. They're ok, but I would assume adding a 65w or 85w per channel amp will give them the power to do justice to their capabilities. What amp/wattage would you recommend for the RC61s?

Re the RC620s, I plan to put them in the Camry. Again, what amp/wattage would you recommend for them?

Btw, whatt RCs do you have, and what amp are you using for them?

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ah ok.

anyways, i've got them(rc620) attached to an RF700X. 87.5w x 4 ata yun. they're attached on the rear deck. i also have the .5 pros on the front. i think anywhere from 75 - 100w will make them really nice. i started out with an mtx with only 20w, then upgrade to Lightning audio bolt 75w. and now RF. they're very nice seps and i suggest u give a clean powerful amp like alpine(orig), JL, xtant, soundstream, RF etc.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks again cardovr6!

So around how much were you able to get your RCs? Your Pros? Layo ba sobra ang diff? Would you recommend the Pros?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    yup, malayo ang diff. masmaganda talaga. power handling alone is big. pros are 20-400w(it can handle more power than some subs out there) and they are 3ohms. so you should get a 2ohm stable stereo amp. yes, i would totally recommend them! no doubt they're one of the best(imo) although some might argue for it's price(a little more) is close to others like JL Audio XR's, DynAudio's etc. but i think it all depends on your listening taste. well, you can audition them if you want at Autosport. i think autoplus have a demo car with the XR's. They're nice too. The tweets have a surround to dampen those unwanted highs. And the xovers are audiophile parts. and very versatile yun xovers nya, you can program them or biamplify them too. Dyn's are one of the best too. RC620 - 11+K, PROS(2WAY) 18+K, JL XR's(23k not sure), Dyn's(220) 22-25k.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i see. so those prices you posted were at Autosport in mega?

6.5" Separates Comparo