New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    I have an BMW E90 320, which means no trunk space for spare. Switching to non-RFTs for performance, better fuel economy, less road noise/feedback, and cheaper / easier to fix/vulcanize compared to RFTs. Also if you have to replace your tire, not a lot of shops carry RFTs and would have to order it for you which means if your tires are really shot your car will stay in your garage for weeks.

Buy good performance tires, Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline are a good choice, not so expensive or try Michellin tires.

If you dont have space for a spare buy a mobility kit, which is basically a fix-a-flat with an air compressor. Bridgestone shops sell a can of fix-a-flat, I bought mine at Dubshop/Minerva wheel Gallery at Alabang. You can buy an air-compressor from car accessories shop, these will all fit in your trunk. I dont want to bother with a spare if I cant tie it down, in case of a high speed crash, the spare wheel could fly into passenger area if not secured properly.

RFTs are a half-baked technology right now, BMW didnt have to make us guinea pigs as here in the Philippines you wont find RFTs in every neighborhood tire shop. Heck even the big auto accessories shops dont have it on stock. Or if you want buy it from the local BMW stealer at double the cost.... (30k!) WTF!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I have an e90 325, and I recently changed all my RFT tires to regular tires since i had to replace 1 of the RFT's. So i decided to just replace all 4 to regular tires and just bought a flat tire kit (the sealant).

I will say this, i couldn't be happier with the results. Car handles better and feels less "chunky".

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    bridgestone located in the fort has the facility to fix RFT. you might want to check it out. my e90 also has that black rims with cover too, i hope i can find someone who can offer similar sized mags for my RFT.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEPER View Post
    I have an e90 325, and I recently changed all my RFT tires to regular tires since i had to replace 1 of the RFT's. So i decided to just replace all 4 to regular tires and just bought a flat tire kit (the sealant).

I will say this, i couldn't be happier with the results. Car handles better and feels less "chunky".
    did exactly the same and bought a continental comfortkit (tire sealant and inflation system in one) without exaggeration at walang halong biro never na ako mag RFT. nakatipid pa ako. Akala ko may sira akong stab link o bushing pero nung napalitan yung tire nawala yung crashing at harsh bumps ng suspension pag nalubak.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    finally, the time has come to replace my RFT tires ... unfortunately, but not surprising, the nearest Bridgestone dealer do not stock RFT's

would anybody know a Bridgestone dealer who have RFT's? in particular Turanza ER300 RFT 195/55R16, as I prefer same model of original tires

however, I'm open to suggestions for other RFT brand/models (same size, of course)

thanks

6. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    After five years and 41,000 km, my 1 series finally suffered a flat tire, as indicated by a large red icon, and worse, its night time so no vulcanizing shop. As it has no spare tire, but equipped with Run-Flat-Tire, i had no choice but to run flat 20 km to home, thinking well, this is the time to see how RFT works.

Manufacturer says the tire is capable of running 80kph for 100 km, after which the tire would have to be replaced. Knowing an RFT could cost P15k in banawe (P30k at BMW casa!), I'm not inclined to abuse the flat tire, determined to have it vulcanized tomorrow, I drove an average 50 kph (peaked at 70kph) for the short 20km. Reached home without incident and checked the tire again. It does not look so flat after all!

Matigas pala talaga ang sidewall nito. Sana nga pwede pa mavulcanize bukas.

you must have other cars to drive coz 41,000 km for 5 years is soooo unused. its either marami kang kotse or sobrang na baby mo ang BMW mo. usual kasi 15,000 to 20,000 km per year eh. sabi ng taga BMW pag di masyado ginagamit masisira din mga joints dahil di napapractice kaya gagastos din. mabuti pa gamitin para sulit ang gastos....just my point of view lang naman. but on the RFT bilib ako sa BMW. medyo matagtag lang pero yong akin ginawa kong 28 psi from 31 psi, so far satisfied naman ako sa ride.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEPER View Post

Makes me wanna switch to nonRF performance tires asap! :D I recon i can change rims and all tires and still save.

Btw, does the can of compressed air w/sealant work as well as the one with the compressor? Of course, you can reuse the compressor, but in terms of how they work on a per flat basis, how do they compare?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    *17M ... yes, the big red icon came up ... but before that, i already noticed something must have struck my tire due to its noise, travelled some distance till i can safely check the tire

i did not find the nail at that time (even if i find it, there is not much i can do) and it didn't look flat ... when i drove again, after some 300 meters, the icon showed up with corresponding audible alarm ... i stopped again to confirm the flat, knowing that the RFT can take the beat, i just drove home slower than usual

in your case, the puncture was a slow leak ... 5 psi difference is not enough to trigger the alarm ... given more time for pressure to drop, the alarm would have shown, at which time you are already running flat

the sensor is not pressure based ... it is rotation based ... with an RFT, it takes substantial pressure drop for the difference-in-rotation to be detected

there is a TPMS in the tire (inside of tire connected to the valve) that is pressure based but the alarm will sound if the loss is 1 bar(around 15psi).

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Question...gagamitin niyo ba BMW with runflats sa long drives like Pagudpud? IF ever kasi maflat ang tire or masira mismo ang tirewall ay mga 1-2 days din kayo maghihintay before magamit ang kotse.

Kasya ba fullsize tire sa trunk ng 3 series?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    Question...gagamitin niyo ba BMW with runflats sa long drives like Pagudpud? IF ever kasi maflat ang tire or masira mismo ang tirewall ay mga 1-2 days din kayo maghihintay before magamit ang kotse.

Kasya ba fullsize tire sa trunk ng 3 series?
    Kasya ang fullsize spare sa trunk ng 3 series but it would take up a lot of space. Baka di na magkasya ang mga bagahe because of the spare.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Running flat an RFT