New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    I'm planning to buy a car and I saw this car in a nearby auto center. It is a 1997 BMW 325i. The color is green. I checked everything it was in good shape (I got my some checklist from the internet). but i'm just a teen. 17 years old actually, but i'm really into cars like seriously into cars. I was thinking if this is okay as my first car. and also may I know statistics of fuel consumption? THANK YOU!

PS:

I also prefer to buy used car, because i'm planning to overhaul it. From head to toe. That's why. It's like modifying this whole thing. and any other car suggestions ranging from 200-350k? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    I mean a BMW 320i '97 e36.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Funny we have similar inquiries, hope some people would give us some info.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrel View Post
    I'm planning to buy a car and I saw this car in a nearby auto center. It is a 1997 BMW 325i. The color is green. I checked everything it was in good shape (I got my some checklist from the internet). but i'm just a teen. 17 years old actually, but i'm really into cars like seriously into cars. I was thinking if this is okay as my first car. and also may I know statistics of fuel consumption? THANK YOU!

PS:

I also prefer to buy used car, because i'm planning to overhaul it. From head to toe. That's why. It's like modifying this whole thing. and any other car suggestions ranging from 200-350k? Thanks.
    The 320i E36 is a very good car and very reliable. Just make sure you're getting a good one and not a neglected one. Have a 100 point check up before purchasing so you will have an idea on the car's condition and so that you will know the parts that you need to replace and their price. For sure, it would be better if you change all the fluids (since you don't know the history) and have all suspension parts checked. Once you get it into a really good condition, it should be fairly easy to maintain. Parts are easy to source and there are also surplus parts for those parts that need not be brand new.

As for the consumption, I usually do 6-7 city driving.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010

PS:

Hmm, wasn't able to read your whole post. I think you meant just modify and not "overhaul". Modified cars for me lose a lot of value since you will be using a lot of after market parts, plus if your modifications are expensive but not aesthetically pleasing, you'll just end up being "baduy" or you'll get "sayang binaboy yung oto" reactions instead of impressed reactions.

I suggest you start with a jap car to modify, if you start with a euro car you might burn a hole in your parent's pockets, or they might spend your college money on your modifications hehe.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    If you are just looking for a car you can modify, then get a civic or something. Remember that modifying a Japanese car is way easier than a European one.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

PS:

I strongly suggest you choose a different and preferably japanese car because BMW parts in the Philippines is very expensive.

BMW cars themselves are good cars but they are still machines and all machines will require maintenance and spare parts to operate properly in the long run. If we live in europe, parts will be much cheaper and even surplus parts available. But in the Philippines, such BMW parts are much harder to find and more than twice more expensive than it's japanese counterpart.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I strongly suggest you choose a different and preferably japanese car because BMW parts in the Philippines is very expensive.

BMW cars themselves are good cars but they are still machines and all machines will require maintenance and spare parts to operate properly in the long run. If we live in europe, parts will be much cheaper and even surplus parts available. But in the Philippines, such BMW parts are much harder to find and more than twice more expensive than it's japanese counterpart.
    I beg to disagree, but you are misinformed. Parts for BMW are not as expensive as everyone thinks it is. In fact, they are almost on the same level as Japanese parts. You just need to know where to buy them. :P Information is a powerful thing.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

BMW cars themselves are good cars but they are still machines and all machines will require maintenance and spare parts to operate properly in the long run. If we live in europe, parts will be much cheaper and even surplus parts available. But in the Philippines, such BMW parts are much
    harder to find and more than twice more expensive than it's japanese counterpart.
    I dunno with the new Japanese cars but parts for a Mercedes is definitely cheaper. Used to own a 316i E36 and then replaced it with a W202 C180.

BMW parts are usually more expensive than Mercedes-Benz parts and quite harder to find, but many driveline and electrical parts are interchangeable with some Japanese cars.

In a worst-case scenario, you can always do an engine swap and throw a 4JB1 into it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast