New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hello mga sirs,

I am considering to buy a 2003 318i Executive or Msport. I'd love to have a BMW but I'm a little skeptical about the mixed reviews of its maintenance and parts price. Some said it is very expensive and some say they do not.

I would like to ask several questions to those who also own an e46.

1. How many km have you travelled and what parts you already replaced together with its cost.
    2. How much are the suspension bushings and shock absorbers?
    3. How much are the 318i's ECU?
    4. What are the common problems of an e46?

Please also indicate any tips you would want to tell me before I buy. Thank you in advance. I badly need your help.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hey buddy. good choice, you cant go wrong with the badge. Is this gonna be your daily driver or weekend/porma car? My first e46 was a 318i, though not as slow as a 316, you may still find it a bit slow if youre into performance.

In my opinion/experience, for the "Ultimate Driving Machine" experience, you may wanna check out a 325i at least(if money doesnt matter). Maintenance is more expensive than usual japanese cars, though you can save a little if you dont go to a casa for minor service or even more if youre into DIY. Some parts are readily available but some have to be ordered first from Germany.

as for your questions, ill try to answer some: mine is a 325 but most components are pretty much the same,

1.50,000kms on my 325i, here are some of the repairs/maint. windshield washer pump replaced 4-7k, evaporator 50-80k!, brake pads 8k, fuel filter. thats all i can remember for now.

2.I have now idea on these yet but if you go OEM, more expensive.

2.No idea on this yet but for an ECU, its gonna be expensive.

3.Common problems on e46's are window regulators, VANOS(if you have 6cyl.), windhield washer pump, taillight socket issues, airconditioner(final stage), vapor barrier, suspension, water pump, headlight cover lenses tends to peel protective coaating.

Tips:check service history, check airconditioner for even cooling on all vents, check for mushy/watery smell in the interior(v. barrier) and most of all, Test Drive it thoroughly, youll be the best judge.

Hope this helps a bit, these cars have personality so take care of it, some TLC etc. but dont dont be afraid to push it aswell, these are high revving engines and they acutally like it sometimes Good luck on your quest on the E46.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Thank you sir. This will be my daily driven car. My typical route would be Makati to Manila, Makati to Cainta and Makati to Bulacan. I am just afraid of the maintenance cost. I am currently driving a 1.6L Altis. I am happy with its reliability but safety and performance are my concerns. I like to push cars... I am leaning towards a 318i or a 318i Msport. I am just afraid of the maintenance costs...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i'd pick the 318i over the m-sport
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Whyhe 318i over the Msport?

Let me ask, what's the problem in Vanos of 6cylinder engines?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    i'd get the 318i msport over the non m sport models kasi it has the nicer bodykit, better interior, better taillights, lower ride,and the nice 17" rims on it. till this day the e46 318i m sport still makes me drool especially on color blue or red. :D i was thinking of getting a 2nd hand msport b4 before settling on the mazda 6. :D
    Last edited by kyle618; December 29th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    318 E46 is a smooth ride. once you drive it, you'll fall in love with the very solid feel, and good response. true, i would love a 325 if i could afford it. but the 318 is good enough for me. 146HP, but has good torque for city and highway driving. u drive to bulacan you say -- sarap sya sa NLEX, you won't feel tired.

the M variant looks better, but it's all looks, and even slightly heavier with the 17"wheels. i prefer the exec variant, which is a little but more low-key.

maintenance-wise, it's definitely more expensive than japanese cars. but that's the price you pay for the exclusivity and driving experience. common things to watch out for:
    1. be picky with gas stations to ensure you have good, clean 95+ RON fuel. the fuel filters and pump can be expensive
    2. use it often - it's actually better for the electronics and other electricals when it's used as a daily driver
    3. avoid dents and dings - you will just feel bad kasi :")

good luck!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Normally what is the price range of an E46?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ateneoboy View Post
    Normally what is the price range of an E46?
    for 2003 and up, range would be 900k to 1.4k -- thereabouts. it depends on the condition.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey_wrench
    the M variant looks better, but it's all looks
    How come? Do Philippine Msports have standard suspensions?

IMO with the sport suspension the (lower and stiffer) E46 feels and drives way better than the standard one. Yun nga lang, as sushiboy pointed out ... the springs (both standard and sport) break easily. I had mine replaced with Eibach Pro's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Considering to buy e46 318i