New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hey guys any feedback on this will be appreciated... BTW I was going to test drive an x1 earlier today but there was an obnoxious person who holds the keys kept on shout requirements for the test drive... too bad the SA was accommodating.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I believe the V60 is more of a station wagon and the X1 is basically a small crossover (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    Also, IMO, BMW and Volvo are not in the same league - Volvo is more at par with Acura, Lexus and Infiniti.
    However, like those brands, they usually give you better value for your money (more standard equipment, etc). And since X1 is BMW's entry-level X-model - it's also expected that you'll get less standard equipment (or you may have to pay more money for more options).

Being said that - you need to test drive and compare these two and see which you prefer more.
    Some people expect BMW 1 series or X1s to be very luxurious only to get disappointed after a test drive. You have to acknowledge the fact that X1 is their cheapest X-model.

Here in the US, BMW buyers who buy X1/X3/X5 or 1-series up to 6-series actually buys them because they are driver's cars. Meaning, they are more sporty than luxurious. And that's why BMW drivers are stereotyped as wreckless drivers (or something to that effect).

3. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    haha thanks for the response sir, yeah it's an SAV or whatever that's supposed to mean... I own a transportation business here in the Ph, and ride comfort is always number 1. One of the factors is the resale value since We dispose our vehicles every 4 years or 5 years max... We're leaning towards the x1 because of the resale value even though volvo is giving a whooping 300 grand discount. That said the c class for me is cramped and the b class for me is even more odd looking or just bland than the x1... the volvo however is spacious but they are releasing a new model just next year... I haven't test drive both maybe tomorrow(i'll be buying tomorrow)

4. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I didn't want to sound biased and different people have different priorities (i.e. some people value performance over looks, some people prefer practicality and resale value and some people like it sporty and some like it to ride like a Cadillac). I think the X1 will serve you well plus since it was introduced in 2009 as a 2010, the next generation X1 is not due until 2016 as a 2017 model.

I'm also looking to get an X3 for the wife in the next couple of years but she's been dreaming about the Z4.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    I envy you, when I watch car reviews and they bring out the price 30,40,50,60Gs it's so cheap to buy there. Well anyways I will test drive both tomorrow and see which is best suited. Good luck with the Z4, and as you described bimmer drivers there... haha

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I think the advantage of driving a nice car back there is that - you don't see them every where.
    So its more "exclusive" if you will. Over here, people who likes cars have nice cars too. And people who are not into cars don't really care what you drive.

Good luck with your choice. Please share some pictures here so share some of that excitement too!

Quote Originally Posted by jonzjitsu View Post
    I envy you, when I watch car reviews and they bring out the price 30,40,50,60Gs it's so cheap to buy there. Well anyways I will test drive both tomorrow and see which is best suited. Good luck with the Z4, and as you described bimmer drivers there... haha

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    I will... have a good one!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    *x_outpost I gave the down earlier today, Will test drive tomorrow to finally get a feel... but the 320d came up on the option and maybe the x3 if worse comes to worse haha.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The X1 is small and a bit stiff. The old X3 was very stiff, but I haven't driven the new one.

I'd consider the 320d over either. The 3-series is a great car.

As for "sporty" driving... while the X- series handle better than most crossovers, they're still crossovers. Not really anything amazing... and they've been getting softer over the years. If you really want driving dynamics from a BMW nowadays, you're looking at getting a 3-series or a 1-series.

-

The Volvo that compares to the X1 and X3 is the XC60. It's a nice car, available in diesel, and undercuts other competitors in this segment on price by a whole lot. But in the price range, I'd take a look at the Lexus RX. I personally don't favor it, but you said you wanted comfort, and it's very comfortable.

I'd suggest the Evoque, as that has an awesome interior and great comfort (despite the lack of headroom in the rear), and is fantastic to look at... but it's way out of the price range.

-

Contrawise, you could go down a class and look at large crossovers and SUVs from the mass market. Which would give you better resale, less running costs, and more bang for your buck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    thank you niky, yeah evoque here is waaaaaaay too overpriced while in the US it's just 10grand more expensive than the x1... if ever I go wrong at least the resale is high... lol

BTW the new x3 has adaptive suspension and is more comfortable to drive na "daw" I've yet to test drive it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast