New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Hello everyone,

Would you advise in buying a 2nd hand BMW, specifically yung 316i 95-99 model? I've been seeing around sa net na madaming nag bebenta nito and saying na nothing to fix or in good running condition. Is it really true? I'm planning to buy one soon but just want to make sure I gey my money's worth. Probably I can also get feedback here who has bought one (2nd hand bimmer) and could tell how was thier experience and was it really worth it kahit used na sya. Thanks in advance on whatever advise you can share and appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    its way too old and underpowered (bad fuel mileage). higher maintenance (bmw spare parts are way overpriced). you are better off getting a newer japanese sedan. if you really want a bmw don't get the 316, para masabi lang naka bmw ka.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    There was a time na I thought about getting one of those mid 90's BMW 316i but then my logic got the best out of my emotions. Tama si boyscout na mahal ang parts ng BMW, and since medyo luma na yan impossible walang checkups ang kailangan sigurado meron yan. Its not exactly fuel efficient too since lumang modelo na and underpowered nga. Yun nga din sinabi ng tatay ko sakin, gusto mo bumili para masabi mong naka BMW ka In the end I didn't buy! And think about it? Why are these peeps selling it at an attractive price (mga P300K++ lang ata) for a European car no less a BMW?

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    I agree with the previous post. Along with that old car are definite problems, so logically, it's really not a good buy unless you got money to throw out on re-conditioning it...I mean it's a nice car, but it's not as good as efficient as the newer machines out there at the same price range..

may pre-owned selections na inoffer sa akin ang klassik-bmw(kasa to ha)

x3 2.0d SAV, 6MT, 2007 model, 8850kms, black... from 3.1M down to 2.9M w/ 12-months warranty.

should i test drive it?

tapos mayroon ding pre-owned X5 2 sila, both 2002 models 3.0d, silver and black, not na covered ng warranty

silver - 61150kms, 2.5M
    black - 119530kms, 2.6M

kung kayo papapiliin, anu kukunin nyu?

meron pa mga used BMW models dito sa listahan na binigay sa akin.

anywayz, about the 316i - totoo mabagal to dahil sa bigat ng kaha, well, drive it sparingly, you'll be surprised na matipid to, pero dont expect na makakaovertake ka ng madalian,

pero nasa sayo yan...

kung for show lang, alisin mo nalang 316i badge di na malalaman yun... atleast di ka mababranded na "rice" on the road naman, the average motorist will say-- sana meron din ako hehehe

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    peeps,

para sa akin kung namamahalan kayo sa presyo ng BMW parts maybe you

don't deserve the car....better get newer jap kung wary kayo on maintaining

a euro car. BMWs got character unlike other cars na considered "appliances"

Kahit ano mangyari, benz at bmw pa rin yan.... Hondas are so expensive to

maintain also pag inabot ka ng mga woes

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiman View Post
    peeps,

para sa akin kung namamahalan kayo sa presyo ng BMW parts maybe you

don't deserve the car....better get newer jap kung wary kayo on maintaining

a euro car. BMWs got character unlike other cars na considered "appliances"

Kahit ano mangyari, benz at bmw pa rin yan.... Hondas are so expensive to

maintain also pag inabot ka ng mga woes
    Awww!!! SNAP!!!

Pero I agree with yetiman -- kahit anong sabihin mo, BMW pa rin yan. Eh nasa tao yan what his purpose is for buying a bimmer. Whether purpose nya is for self-gratification or to impress other people, so what? Choice nya yun. Don't tell me people buy SiR's purely for the engine? Sometimes, it's also for the "pride" na "naka SiR ako". So how is it different from buying a 316?

Some facts here: Sa E36 body, there are no manual tranny's except for the 316. I happen to prefer manual over matic, so I got the 316. If there was a 320 na manual, why not? Binabayaran mo rin kasi dyan yung little things na wala sa jap sedans of the same year -- dual digital climate control, ABS, airbag, dual vanity mirror, foglights, etc. And the handling is actually very very good. Medyo stiff ng onti yun steering for better control.

Regarding fuel economy, I would say it degrades over time -- just like any other car. Actually, I know of a lot of GLi's and Accord's na mas malakas ang consumption sa kanya. You really can't expect a fuel consumption na parang XL ka lang.

It has also cross my mind before if I would have been better off sticking to a jap sedan (I had a 98 VTEC before). There are advantages and disadvantages. You just have to consider all your needs and wants. For now, the BMW serves my purpose.

Regarding maintenance costs, para ka rin lang nag maintain ng same year Accord. Honestly. I changed my front shocks earlier this year for about 5t. (No kidding), plus labor of course. It's just okaaaay.. not great.

Anyhoo, to the original poster, my advice would be to try out one for yourself. Mahirap kasi magdecide ng nde mo pa nakikita kung ok talaga o nde. If you decide that you like it enough to buy one, then that's the time to be more cautious about what you'll be getting.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Reading this thread might help din:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52559

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    may pre-owned selections na inoffer sa akin ang klassik-bmw(kasa to ha)

x3 2.0d SAV, 6MT, 2007 model, 8850kms, black... from 3.1M down to 2.9M w/ 12-months warranty.

should i test drive it?

tapos mayroon ding pre-owned X5 2 sila, both 2002 models 3.0d, silver and black, not na covered ng warranty

silver - 61150kms, 2.5M
    black - 119530kms, 2.6M

kung kayo papapiliin, anu kukunin nyu?

meron pa mga used BMW models dito sa listahan na binigay sa akin.

anywayz, about the 316i - totoo mabagal to dahil sa bigat ng kaha, well, drive it sparingly, you'll be surprised na matipid to, pero dont expect na makakaovertake ka ng madalian,

pero nasa sayo yan...

kung for show lang, alisin mo nalang 316i badge di na malalaman yun... atleast di ka mababranded na "rice" on the road naman, the average motorist will say-- sana meron din ako hehehe
    mahal yung binebenta sa iyo na x3 2.0diesel: sa newspapers, may binebenta na 07 x3 2.0 diesel mt, 2.05M lang, 12k kms na tinakbo,

as for the 02 x5, masmahal pa, sa newspapers may mg 03 to 04 models being sold for sagad 2.2 to 2.3m, lowe mileage pa. when buying 2nd hand bmws, dapat maging barat ka. kasi mamanahin mo yung high cost ng maintenance, lalo na kung medyo high mileage yung bmw, if low mileage, better so makatipid kayo sa repair costs.

if you buy sa casa, mahal pa din, ang selling point lang nila ay warranty pa daw nila, but if you know how to look sa used bmw, the warranty is not an issue. bmws are built tough so as long na di laspag, you shouldn't encounter and serious problems with a used bmw.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pnat
    I've been seeing around sa net na madaming nag bebenta nito and saying na nothing to fix or in good running condition. Is it really true?
    Just like any other used car, I'm afraid it's up to you to find out. Just because it's a BMW doesn't mean it's always the truth. Caveat emptor.

I'm planning to buy one soon but just want to make sure I gey my money's worth.
    You don't buy a bimmer for practical reasons. For reasons other than that, a lot of people think it's worth it - including myself.

Probably I can also get feedback here who has bought one (2nd hand bimmer) and could tell how was thier experience and was it really worth it kahit used na sya.
    I still have my 1991 E36 320i sedan (with a manual tranny ). Yep, it's one of the earliest E36's and is already 17 years old. I bought it 7 years ago and it has done 200Tkm+. It has never let me down.

I don't care about prestige (my pockets won't let me do that), so I don't give a rat's ass how people look at me and my car. But I do enjoy driving a good car I can afford. I'm happy with it.

Would you advise in buying a 2nd hand BMW, specifically yung 316i 95-99 model?
    It depends a lot on what you expect to get from the car.

Looks? It's old.
    Prestige? It's a BMW.
    Parts and services? Dearer.
    Fuel economy? Not much different from other 1.6li cars of the same age.
    Speed? No way.
    Handling? Oh, yes!

Weigh them up and decide.

---

My take on de-badging (no offense, AY): Any moron won't be able to tell the difference between a 316 and a 328. However, bimmer enthusiasts can tell if you're trying to hide 4 cylinders in your E36. Why go through the trouble?

Some people debadge their bigger bimmers ... just to enjoy smoking racer boys who assumed it was a 316 or 318.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
2nd hand bimmers