New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...like once a week when the car is parked in a dust bowl parking lot everyday?

masisira ba yung paint or something (not protected by wax)? super sandy/dusty kasi ng parking in school e (as in the car is practically colored gold at the end of the day), and i just wash it every weekend. is that ok?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you don't wash your car, then you'll have a DIRTY CAR!!! (sorry... couldn't resist)

Seriously though, wash your car on the weekend, and try to wax it to protect it. You see, the dust on top of the car might cause scratches:

1. If there's a lot of dust, and mini whirlwinds happen, or gusts of wind, the dust gets moved around and micro-marring might happen. Enough micro-marring is like the proverbial drop in the bucket -- enough of it will fill the bucket eventually, though one drop might not be noticeable at all.

2. People might lean on the car and the dust will scratch the car for sure when they do.

3. Idiots might write "WASH ME", and when they press their fingers against the dust (which is against the paint)... scratches.

Waxing/sealing your car will at least give you a sacrificial layer -- scratches/micro-marring will, hopefully, be limited to the sacrificial layer only.

So, wash your car in the weekend, then wax it (maybe twice a month) to give it protection.

Cheers!

--Alf

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    What happens naman if you wash the car too often? Any bad effects, especially on the paint/luster?

I usually pass unpaved, dusty roads to and from work so my car is always covered with dust/mud at the end of the day and I cannot resist washing it afterwards with water during weekdays and with shampoo+wax on weekends.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mbt: if your car is not protected by anything, masisira paint mo regardless kung dusty or not coz your paint will oxidize really fast (dry out and fade, eventually crack).

Like what Alfa said, having a thick coat of dust is very detrimental on your paint. Especially when people start writing on it (don't be surprised, this is VERY common).

Avatar: you can wash your car as often as you want as long as you're using paint safe products and use common sense. your routine is fine. personally if i'm not lazy or anything, i wash my car every other day. the more often you wash, the less chance for any dirt to bond onto the paint.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ok lang ba punasan ng moist chamois ang dusty car? have no time to wash it every AM, so madalas e naspu naspu lang

:twisted:

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    buknoy,
    that's a definite no-no. a moist chamois will just press the dust and dirt onto the surface of the car. leaving fine scratches (if it's too dirty) on the surface.

take it from me. ganyan dati ginagawwa ko kasi tinatamad ako. ayun ... scratches galore.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If in doubt... WASH... If in doubt... WASH... If in doubt... WASH...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dapat talaga sa kotse ang turing mo ay parang
    anak mo na rin...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok thanks... i do try to wash off the dust at the very least during weekdays. kailangan nga ng wax protection, the last time i waxed my car with 5 coats of meguiars carnauba, 5 days lang ata nag-dissolve na yung wax! 8O there was definitely something wrong, right?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mbt: well, depende rin yan, if you applied the wax and the paint isn't totally clean (meaning, clayed, polished), wax will wear out a lot faster. Also, if you use a shampoo that's too strong (like dishwashing soap, laundry soap, etc), your wax will be stripped. If your area of travel has high concentration of acid rain, then your wax will suffer as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
what will happen if you don't wash your car often?