New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Im not from here and was wondering what you guys do with your europlates/japan plates. Do they always stay behind the actual plate thus hiding it effectively or do you take it out from behind sometimes? I havent noticed this phenomenon in any other country and was just curious:D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, I don't use those europlates (even if my ride is identically the same that they ship to euro from japan - heck, it even has warning stickers written in german all over it). For european cars, it might be understandable - but for jap cars, I don't get it. As OTEP said in another thread, this trend was originally used by expats who did import their steeds for europe while staying here - sort of a secret handshake to see who's who.

But here's my observation:

- most put a the euro/jap plate behind their PH plates, showing off only the first and last digits

- some have it customized and use it instead of PH plates. I have even seen a Defender with customized Jap plates. most only do this for their rear plates where it cannot be easily seen by a traffic officer.

- some just take off their regular plates off during car shows, club meets, etc. to add

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hmm nice info. I guess its just the desire to identify oneself in a sea of sameness! Using these plates at the rear in full view is illegal, or is it accepted practice or just ignored by cops?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes... using it in full view in lieu of the regular plates is illegal:

18. Improper display of Motor Vehicle plates by owner (permanent) plates to accommodate a better display of commemorative/other plates
    The cops can apprehend you over that if they see it (especially if they are riding in a motorcycle or in traffic - I've seen this a lot).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What do I do with them? I hang them on the wall since I collect license plates and other automotive junk.

Japanese plates are narrower but taller than local plates. When you use them behind local plates only the top and bottom edges are visible.

Europlates vary depending on the territory. But they are generally wider than local plates. On most genuine Europlates, you can only see part of the first and last character (around 1/2 of the character) of the Europlate if you superimpose a local license plate on it. Then there are also 'tall' type Europlates.

Btw, most Defenders used customized rear plates because the standard local plates are too wide and portrude beyond the vehicle's body work. This is because the plate holder was only specifically designed to hold a 'tall' Europlate (globalisation was unheard of in 1948 when the series was born). The other way to fit a license plate onto a Defender was to hack or fold the ends which is also technically illegal. :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    used to have a pair of europlates, installed them behind my LTO plates. sold them a couple of months back, harang sa intercooler eh

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OTEP,

The Defender parked here in our office uses a standard plate (which protrudes just by a bit).

Also saw another Defender this lunch break, he attached his regular plates on his bumper instead.

This speaking of europlates... saw this during lunch break:

Didn't have a chance to see if it has plates up front already. Baka wala pang regular plates.
    Last edited by mazdamazda; May 31st, 2007 at 05:15 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It used to be kinda cool, when it was only ex-pats who did it, or when you could only see it on the back of actual imports from Europe... but it kinda loses coolness if almost anyone can go out and buy a Europlate and stick it on their car.

Me? Seeing as my car was only sold in this trim in the Philippines, I'm happy to keep my Fili-plates...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    this is the most useless thing that i've ever bought. i removed them already. i want to go jdm LOL. hehehe.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    HAHA why just euro and jdm maybe some exotic plate to be different, why not cambodian or some african plate..hmmmm The accord Im buying has a europlate, i guess ill just remove that..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What do you guys do with your europlates?