New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi guys, I am new to this and I would like to ask for advise regarding re-painting, we have an old imported Lucida van and I would like to have it re-painted. I really love to see it look like new something like a wet look paint. What is the usual price range I should consider and what are the shops in Quezon City or manila that offer the best quality paint job but at a very reasonable price, and is it still possible to make it look super shiny?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at the average of 25-30k for strip to metal.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Lucida van would cost you at least 30k, same color repainting. If change color, add 10k or more.

Remember, you will always get what you pay for.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi guys! Thanks for the replies, mahal pala pag Lucida van... anyway if it is strip to metal would that make the vehicle look new again? I might check Alex Restoration, however, I have a feeling it is more expensive than others. Do you guys know of other shop that provides re-painting service around Quezon City?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bring it to AutoRx Carworks at 111 Kamuning Road, QC for an estimate.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The quality of repainting first depends on the skill of the one doing it. Preparation is key.. and this is also why stripping to metal is preferred. It gives the talyer a "blank canvas" to work with. Factors such as trying to trying to get as close to original OEM paint (on washovers) is usually based on the experience of the talyer in mixing paint to get the correct blend.

Sa totoo, there's no such thing as a "best" paint job at a "reasonable" price. Economics will dictate that if the talyer is good and that there's a constant stream of customers.. the most reasonable way is to simply jack up the price to equal that of the utility of your workmanship.

There are some who does oven-baked, dust-free environments but... this isn't really much of a requisite in getting quality paint. It helps though like that of closed aircon-ed tinting rooms because it prevents contamination. However, like with the tints, sa skill and experience parin yan ng tao.

My suking talyer is HMT Motorworks near C3, Quezon City. We go to them from repainting to collision repairs since I know the owner personally and.. well.. I appreciate their pricing naman with regards to the work done.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    If its first time repainting, DONT strip the paint to metal.
    Stripping it to metal will expose the steel to the environment even though its oven baked blah blah blah.. and iba ang kapit ng oem primer and metal panels are chemically treated sa planta so stripping it upto the metal will also strip the chemical/coating
    If you notice, mas madameng back job tuwing "strip to metal" mas bumubula..

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    People ask to strip metal kasi para makuha yung "kanto" ng body/panels.. para hindi mag mukhang mataba and theres a big chance na bumigat ang panels mo dahil evenly sprayed ang primer sa car manufacturers unlike sa mga manual paint shops.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenThing View Post
    If its first time repainting, DONT strip the paint to metal.
    Stripping it to metal will expose the steel to the environment even though its oven baked blah blah blah.. and iba ang kapit ng oem primer and metal panels are chemically treated sa planta so stripping it upto the metal will also strip the chemical/coating
    If you notice, mas madameng back job tuwing "strip to metal" mas bumubula..
    But even if you expose it to the environment, hindi mo naman problema corrosion on a short-term basis. For a newer car which is first-owned, I would understand the need of not stripping it down. The car's OEM finish is one of the best "canvass" for painting is because it was applied with perfect preparation on billion-dollar factories who churn them en-masse (kung may mali sa painting nila, sobrang sakit sa bottom line nila when warranty returns comes in.. so they have to do it right.)

However, for an old car, much of the original paint has been weathered through the ages na. How much layer-over-layer repainting has been done? How about the eventual rusting? This is why the very best automotive restorations would require a strip to metal approach -- it gives them a blank canvass to do what they need. This is also the reason why most show cars of Concours_d' Elegance go for this route -- simply layering paint over paint will create an uneven paint preparation in some areas for example. Of course, you also have more labor and more costs if you do strip it.

Still, repainting is.. like I said... highly skill-dependent. There's a reason why Alex Restoration charges a lot more than your typical talyer.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; January 28th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    for a 12 year old car, recommended na ba ipa-strip to metal? or just get standard wash-over service? this car has no rust problem yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
what is the acceptable price range for re-painting old vehicles?