New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    In the process of painting, common practice na yung wet sanding ng putty after it dries. Is it true that this could do harm as the moisture would seep into the putty and eventually be a cause of corrosion?

TIA.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    no. not true at all. you're supposed to wet sand a puttied surface or else sanding marks will show up even if you dry sand beforehand with 1000 grit.

wet sanding, preferably with 2000 grit paper, will smooth it out and ensure an invisible repair

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    kasama sa process ang wet sanding.

or you won't get a good finish.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I see...so Honda's claim is pure BS? Thanks.

http://www.hondaphil.com/frontnews/hondatech.htm

See the fourth item...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    misleading is more apt.

if properly done, i'd believe that it wouldn't cause corrosion, contribute to it or even approximate and accelerate corrosion.
    Last edited by chain; March 25th, 2006 at 03:25 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    honda talaga...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    wet sanding process, kailangan yun para mas madaling liha-in yung putty di ba? kasi in my experience, sanding a painted surface with dry sanding paper seems so tedious unlike when the sanding paper's wet.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i'm having second thoughts. baka ang ibig sabihin ng honda is wet sanding done by hand. otherwise, their process seem to use something like a sanding device. may hawakan e.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, using a palm sander will speed up the process and usually make it more even, but that doesn't mean you can't do it by hand...

Is Wet Sanding Bad?