New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Mga sir patulong naman...
    1. When you're doing a hilamos, is it necessary that the original base paint be totally removed bago mag-appply ng panibagong primer? I mean dapat ba talagang wala ka nang makikitang any trace ng original base paint nya bago mag-apply ng primer?
    2. What will happen if yung topcoat lang ang tinanggal ng pintor. The base paint was still there, then the painter immediately decided to apply the primer then the base paint? Will it affect the anything?
    Maraming salamat po..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    As far as I know, for washover or 'hilamos', removing the base paint is not done. Why? 1. Cost, less labor, less cost. 2. You'll be painting it with the same color anyway, why remove the original base. Less color paint to use/spray as well since the base color is already there.
    As long as the base paint is still good and no rust issues, then it's ok. If you're going to change the color, it's a different story.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Thanks sir for the info.
    The way I see it, since i'll be painting my car with the same color, it is not necessary (anymore) to apply primer prior to applying the "new" layer of base paint, is it?
    I really don't know in detail, how primer works; but I do know that in the case of scrape to metal project, primer is a must. I guess hilamos is indeed another story.
    I'm planning to get my car a washover and i really don't know what to expect. Any input is well appreciated.
    Thanks and more power to tsikot!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Medyo paki-explain nga rin po what can you expect pag hilamos/ washover lang? Nalilito lang po. Can I expect a new car shine sa hilamos? Same no. of clearcoat? Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillarun View Post
    Mga sir patulong naman...
    1. When you're doing a hilamos, is it necessary that the original base paint be totally removed bago mag-appply ng panibagong primer? I mean dapat ba talagang wala ka nang makikitang any trace ng original base paint nya bago mag-apply ng primer?
    2. What will happen if yung topcoat lang ang tinanggal ng pintor. The base paint was still there, then the painter immediately decided to apply the primer then the base paint? Will it affect the anything?
    Maraming salamat po..
    if the old paint is still in good condition , pwedeng di na primeran yung mga hindi nimalsilyan and only a good qualified and honest painter can make the assessment kung kailanggan primerann o hindi , hindi moo rin kailanggan ubusin ang original paint

washover prep