New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I got my CR-V (new) just last 23 Mar 2006. No problems so far except for this one:

The really rusty piece of metal is the U-shaped bracket located right under the rear seats, supporting what looks like a part of the muffler/exhaust pipe(?) When I showed it to the salesmen at the dealership they said that it's only surface rust caused by exposure to the elements (similar "daw" to the rust that builds up on disc brakes), and even pointed out that most of their stock had the same. They offered to fix it up during the 1000km PMS, although I don't know how just yet. So far it seems isolated, no other visible signs of surface rust anywhere else.

Was thinking of spraying the area with WD-40 and wiping it off; would this be a good idea? I am not that concerned at the moment, just upset to see rust (any form) on a new vehicle. So is this a genuine cause for me to worry, or am I just wasting everybody's time? Is this really normal, as the salespeople say? Should I take further action against the dealer? Looking forward to reading what the experts here have to say. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You could sand it and spray paint it if its really bothering you. Looks like surface rust to me. I just don't know how it'll progress if left unattended.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it will definitely bother me. just sand it then paint it with anti rust primer. bosny has one.costs 100 bucks.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoku
    I got my CR-V (new) just last 23 Mar 2006.
    Was thinking of spraying the area with WD-40 and wiping it off; would this be a good idea? I am not that concerned at the moment, just upset to see rust (any form) on a new vehicle. So is this a genuine cause for me to worry, or am I just wasting everybody's time? Is this really normal, as the salespeople say? Should I take further action against the dealer? Looking forward to reading what the experts here have to say. Thanks.
    i sprayed mine w/ hitemp spray paint (your choice of color ). muffler pipes yan kaya umiinit tapos pag nag splash ng water / salt water. kaya mabilis kalawangin. hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    like they said, this is a common thing sa cars since exposed sa elements and hindi naman stainless yung part na yan. Just sand it and spraypaint it if it is bothering you that much. But it is not a rusted spot area that you can complain about sa kasa since normal lang yan.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Ayos. Ngayong nalaman ko nang normal lang ito, medyo nabawasan na ang inis ko. Salamat sa mga tip. Galing talaga ng mga tsikoteers!

Surface Rust: Should I be worried?