New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Shall there be any benefits by installing a rear spoiler into your car?The reason for me asking this question is because I see a few sedans and sports utility vehicles having rear spoilers and I was just wondering on what they are for.
    Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Shall there be any benefits by installing a rear spoiler into your car?The reason for me asking this question is because I see a few sedans and sports utility vehicles having rear spoilers and I was just wondering on what they are for.
    Thanks.
    Nothing except for styling.spoilers are designed for aerodynamics.which means they are meant for racing cars not unless you always pass by the NLEX or the south at high speed.but on city travels, it's just a thing which adds good looks to your car.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dagdag...on city driving, it just adds good looks AND weight to your car. hihihi

...ako meron
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

oy oy dagdag 10HP yan

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    talaga 10 HP din pala un.. asteeg.. question ano maganda ilagay na spoiler sa 95 ESI?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    alin 10hp kasi nakakabigat?buti nalang meron din yong oto ko

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Rear spoilers can either provide downforce (for extra traction at the rear) or can be used to smooth out airflow.

On some SUVs and trucks, they are functional because they smooth out the turbulent airflow at the back, leading to better fuel economy and less drag.

On some cars, they do the same. On others, they're meant to give a little bit of downforce and stability at high speed. They're useless, however, unless there's a front chin spoiler to balance out the effect.

But: This is only if these were designed and tested for such purposes. Most spoilers are purely cosmetic, installed by local dealerships instead of the factory... same as with bodykits. Most of these do nothing but produce extra drag and lower speeds... nothing more.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tabub0y15 View Post
    talaga 10 HP din pala un.. asteeg.. question ano maganda ilagay na spoiler sa 95 ESI?

may parang duckbill spoiler yung esi e. imho, looks good.
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On sport utes and vans, some spoilers are not designed for downforce. Instead they are designed to alleviate the negative pressure that forms on the back of these vehicles (owing to the upright tailgate).

The benefit of which is said to be less dust and dirt accumulation on the tailgate glass when travelling at expressway speeds.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    My rig has a rear spoiler. I doubt if it has any positive effect with regard to aerodynamics, but IMO it adds to the looks by giving the illusion of an extended roofline, instead of having just an abrupt slope at the top of the tailgate. Plus, it's where my third brake light is mounted.

Nothing wrong with having a spoiler for show, as long as it's not one of those ridiculously huge contrivances that make the car look like a baby carriage. :D
    Last edited by Bogeyman; July 18th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.

Rear Spoiler