New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think I'm going to need one soon. My altis is a 2002 model but odo is only 30k and I think I'm keeping it. Problem is dami na paint imperfections that I'm just hiding with wax and sealant.

Nanghihinayang ako to spend for detailing because its really not that nice to begin with.

Questions ko lang sa washover:

1. If I start having my car repainted, am I obligated to do this every 2 years or so? Im thinking that the paint will not be that durable anymore since hindi na original and it might fade sooner.

2. What paint should I use? Nippon is cheaper and I think this is the original paint from toyota. Is this okay or should I use a better one? I'm thinking that this is more durable.

I'm really after the durability of the paint. I'm worried about early fading.

Hope you can help me with this.

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm not an expert but I don't think you need to have your car repainted every two year..when I had my old car repainted it lasted a long time and wala pa naman fading sa alaga lang talaga and I'm a firmly believer na dapat talaga meron roof ang parking para hinde naka babad sa sun...

ok naman yan Nippon but sobrang dami na ng available paint sa market ngayon...dati ang naalala ko ang sikat lang is anzhal ngayon ang dami na dapat polyurethane based ang paint mas durable

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm confused, sabi nung ibang pintor mas malambot daw ang polyurethane making it less durable especially under direct sunlight.

Shadow, polyurethane na din yung ginamit mo before? washover or change color?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I really can't remember but most probably polyurethane yun, wait, I think dupont yun...and btw alam ko meron na rin polyurethane ang nippon...

washover lang... the paint was really still pretty good until I sold the car

weird I never heard of it na mas durable ang acrylic paint, diba nga before pag anzhal ang pag test is nilalagyan ng cigarette and hinde masusunog....

and meron pala dapat tingan rin sa mga polyurethane paint dapat daw "2k" or something yun polyurethane paint

a big part for a good wash over is the painter and yun preparation..dapat talaga magaling yun pintor or else kahit gaano pa kaganda yun paint na gagamitin kung bulok naman yun painter wala rin
    Last edited by shadow; February 16th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks Shadow. One of my hesitations talaga is yung durability ng paint but mukhang depende na nga sa preparations na gagawin ng pintor.

Sabi din na dapat talaga matagal ang curing time before applying the clear coat - -pag hindi ito sinunod, this is the main reason daw kaya after 6 months dull na.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    hi sir, if you are on a budget but you're looking for great quality may i recommend you to kuya nelson ruello, i just had my civic done washover change color. he used anzahl paint from primer to top coat, i have no regrets since i paid him 18k. at first i was having second thoughts but i've seen his work before i had my car done. he can also use dupont but that would cost you a little over 20k which i think is worth it. ill post a picture of my car for your reference! thanks!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks Shay. Where is his shop located? I'm from Marikina.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Tandang Sora, he also does homeservice. 09208434323. contact him and tell him you were referred by Sheilah.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showp...&postcount=248

i suggest you read that thread po. thanks!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if a painter tells you that urethane paint is less durable, don't give him your business. he doesn't know his own trade at all.

urethane (also known as 2-stage or basecoat/clearcoat) is more durable than the single-stage acrylic. it is also easier to use and achieve a perfect finish with it, and it is easier to detail and buff out fine scratches because you can usually work down the clearcoat and not visibly harm the finish. finally, there are some paint effects (like the pearls) that cannot be done with acrylic.

almost all new car finishes are 2-stage urethane because of these reasons.

if you have your paint done at a reputable shop, and keep it clean, plus polish/wax every so often, your paint should last you many years.

finally - different people will tell you that this or that paint brand is the best, but the fact is, the skill of the painter is more important than the paint brand. any reputable brand like Dupont, Sikkens, or Glasurit (just to name a few) will give you a great result if used by the right hands. some painters prefer certain brands because they're familiar with their characteristics (for instance, i only used to use Dupont), but it shouldn't make a difference to you.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    IMHO, please take a second look at detailing sir. ang bata pa ng tsikot niyo.
    swissvax mukhang maganda. (im not affiliated with them ha hehe)

hirap kasi pahilamos, baka may natatagong kalawang na bubula pagkatapos.
    (happened to us)
    strip to metal sana, pero medyo mahal.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Re: Paint Washover