New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Agree, slimline rain-visors.

If you get mags, don't go very far up.. 16 or 17 inchers will be fine, but not chrome ones, as they'll turn your car into a gas guzzler again. Actually, almost any mag upgrade will make your fuel consumption worse.

What color is your car? The mesh grille conversion looks great on darker colored Optras with the 3-piece grille. Use that, a subtle lip and side skirts, and a ducktail spoiler... you won't need to change anything else.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hey BR14,

A brother of mine has a silver Optra like yours, been with him for 2 years now and he likes it a lot. He's had some reprogramming done at Chevy Q. Ave and Bosch Super 4 sparkplugs installed to improve the fuel efficiency - he says those mods worked. Other mods he's done: 17 inch wheels, wrap around (full) skirts, EGR rear visor and "leather" seatcovers.

Here's his car with a set of wrap around skirts he got last September:

He replaced the skirts with a set he got from A-Toy last November, here's how his car looks now:

He still has the skirts from the first pic, if you are interested you can pm me.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    *niky

Chief, black po ang kulay ng akin. hehe... pwede pala akong maging before and after sabay before uli sa gas guzzling ng sasakyang 'to pag magpalit ako. Argh... gaano po ba kalaki ang babawas sa fuel efficiency with bigger mags? If possible, in km/liter po?

*glockmeister26

sir nakita ko po yang body kit sa first pic nyo po sa casa before. Worth 56k po ata?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14
    *glockmeister26

sir nakita ko po yang body kit sa first pic nyo po sa casa before. Worth 56k po ata?
    Ooops, sorry, I thought yours was also silver. He got the body kit for 24k last year from Envy customs.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    the atoy skirt looks better! :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Black... nice. Yung nakita kong grille conversion, Black Optra sa Alabang. Looks good from a distance, don't know how good it looks up close.

Fuel consumption increase depends on how big the mags are. Typically 1-2 km/l for standard 17"s.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    *glockmeister26

oks lang po sir! wow! ang mura ng kuha nya ah? laki talaga ng difference pag casa... tsk tsk. Pero gaya nga po ng sabi ni nugundam93, mas ok nga po ung sa atoy, nagmumukhang wider ung sasakyan.

Kaso, parang di ko trip ung pagkalowered nung showroom vehicle nila. Sa opinyon ko lang, 1" drop eh sobra-sobra na sa Optra. Kung dadalhin ko ung ganyang kababang sasakyan sa probinsya eh kawawa ilalim ng body ko. Paniguradong gasgas lagi pag sumayad.

*niky

1-2km/liter? Medyo di naman po pala masama. Hehe... kung nakaka 9.5 na ako on average, so around 7.5 to 8.5? Kaya na po siguro un! Kala ko kasi balik to 2.5 eh? =D

Saka chief, maganda nga kung palitan ko ung grille ko to bago, kaso nung pinansin ko, ung grille eh directly nakakabit sa front bumper? Alam ko dapat may hati in between the grille at front bumper eh? Kaso wala akong makita! Ano ibig sabihin nun? Para mapalitan ung grille papalitan ko rin ung bumper? O pwedeng madiskartehan sir???

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmm... can't answer that, I'd have to see it to reply.

You could always just black out the chrome and cut out the plastic inserts, but destroying stock trim makes it difficult to return the car to stock when you get tired of the "modded" look.

Depended talaga yung consumption effects, ha. It's more dependent on the weight of the mags and width of the tires than on the size alone. I've had mags that absolutely sapped power from the car, and I've had mags that actually made the car feel lighter and faster than stock.

Generally, you lose maybe 1 hp for every 2 pounds or so heavier each new mag is over the stock one. A ten pound difference per mag-wheel combo might equate to a 5 hp loss, dependent on engine size.

EDIT: I've just looked it up... according to testing by Sport Compact Car, there's an apparent .4 hp loss per additional pound. (hehe... I was close!)

17" mags with tires typically weigh between 35-38 lbs (common ROTAs) to 40-45 lbs (for fancy ones). Compare this with a typical stock combo of about 29-33 lbs, and you have a possible power loss of 4-5 hp. Which may not seem like much, until you consider your car only makes about 80-85hp at the wheels... this loss translates to about 6 bhp at the crank. You'll really feel it slow down incredibly at launch, but it's less noticeable once you're at speed.

Medyo obsessive-compulsive ako about wheel weight. I take a scale with me to the mag shops. Basically, for combined wheel weight, take the weight of a 17" mag, then add 20 lbs (for the tire). For 15" or 16", add 18 lbs.
    Last edited by niky; May 1st, 2006 at 02:11 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    *niky

chief, eto po baka makatulong:

at tungkol po sa mags, mukhang papatimbang ko po muna ung bibilhin ko bago ko bilhin. Though that would make me low on options, baka makatiyempo ng magaan na set ng mags. Hehe. =D

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Mga bossing nag-inquire ako sa Minerva, Westgate Alabang, kung magkano ung Rota P45 nila. Eto pricing na binigay saken:

Mags: P19,500.00 (Rota P45)
    Tires: P 26,536.40 (Yokohama ES100 Silica)
    Total: P46,036.40
    Minus: P5,000.00 (Eto lang kuha nila sa mga gulong ko? =( Maayos pa naman)
    Remaining: P41,036.40 (Eto babayaran ko for 4pcs.)

Tama lang po ba ung price or absurd? Ung tires gusto ko po sanang kagaya lang muna ng stock (Yoko S306) na 17" nga lang para di naman ako masyadong mabigatan kaso ung ES100 Silica talaga ang pinipilit saken kesyo Silica daw at maganda daw talaga. Alam kong maganda kaso mag-upgrade na lang ako ng tires from S306 pag magkapera na. IMO, mahigit 15k din ang mababawas sa gastos kung S306 muna ang kunin ko di ba?

Libre na daw po dun ung mounting, balancing, nitrogen air (eto dahilan kung ba't napadayo talaga ako dun), pero ung alignment 10% discount lang.

Ano tingin nyo mga sir? Dun ako bili or sa Evangelista/Banawe na lang? Di naman po ako completely P45 lang eh. Basta lipped na 5 spoke ok na po saken. Any clues po ba kung san marami display ng mags at mura? Specific shop po sana. =D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Questions on modding an Optra notchback