New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    is it true that pearlized and candy colored paints easily fade or easily lose their luster and sheen?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No. But it depends on what kind. If you spend less than 30-40k on the set-up, you're generally screwed. It's those cheapo-cheapo jobs that fade easily.

The expensive ones, like on showcars or those that come stock on Hondas and Isuzus aren't prone to fading.

Meng's Violeta (fordclubph.com's purple Lynx showcar) has been going on the circuit for over a year, and still looks okay. But that's a 150k plus paint job. But midpriced jobs are okay... My dad's pearlescent green Crosswind is four years old, and is never parked indoors... still looks the same as ever... that job is only worth about 40-50k at the dealership, so it's not really expensive paint.
    Last edited by niky; May 2nd, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^hmmm...i was quoted a paintjob of 30k. the paint that would be used is dupont. i saw their preps and products and pulido ang trabaho plus malinis and covered iyong shop. but what's giving me anxiety is the fade easy issue i heard w/ regards to the pearlescent color (any pearlescent color for that matter) i'm favoring

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it's dupont, it should be okay (but I could be wrong... try to find out what Honda/Isuzu use for their cars). It really depends on how well it's done. I've seen some really crappy pearlescent fading, but it appears that the paint itself didn't stick well to the primer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ok bro. salamat

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Chime in lang ako.

Your observation is correct actually, most "candy" tone colors like red na bright (see 2001 Honda Civic, BMW Z3 and other "stock" bright red) paints are usually painted with a PRE-MIXED clearcoat + pigmented paint and not a typical 2-stage Base + Clear method.

NOTE: I'm talking about OEM, out-of-the-factory finishes, not repainted cars

I don't know what certain paints aren't treated with a more-common Base+Clear layered painting method, but bright red, white, and certain greens are sprayed with a single-mixed method.

With this method, paint SEEMS to oxidize faster compared to a 2-stage process, but in fact, it doesn't oxidize any faster than the usual method. Mas pansinin lang ang pag oxidize dahil yung color layer agad ang tinamaan ng oxidation as opposed to a 2-stage method na yung clear ang tinamaan (which is less visible).

There must be a reason why these shades are painted in such a manner, di ko lang alam why.

DuPont, PPG, etc all have this "pre-mixed" clear+base paint available.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^sir, does your explanation and observation also apply to pearlescent tone colors too?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baludoy: Honestly, I'm not quite sure since OEM pearlescent shades are usually limited to current models like the ones released by Toyota and Honda... and those 2 use a 2-stage approach in painting pearlescent finishes. So I haven't experienced or worked with an OEM single-stage pearlescent finish.

As noted, repainted cars are not counted.
    Last edited by theveed; May 2nd, 2007 at 08:12 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    what brand of paint ung ok na pearl colors..

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks bos theveed. btw, what does the paint protection service you offer in your shop do? would it help maintain the luster of the paint? how much does it cost and for how long is its effectivity? and does it take long to apply?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Pearl & Candy Colored Paints Fade Easy?