New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    ...to (at the least) wash "their" car on their own? Detail it would be a bonus.

A colleague asked me this question earlier. He says, fine, they help him out when he's around (with his suv and the "kids'" car). But when he's not around, they don't have the initiative to atleast do "their" car.

I reckon his kids aren't too OC about cars themselves -- 'coz usually his stories about them are about their latest gig, their latest instrument, the latest change in their home band room, etc. So I didn't answer him with how I got into detailing (or at the least doing my own washing) -- to 1. protect my investment, my car, and 2. to make it look prestine most of the time.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    It seems to me like that these kids are not interested in cars so I guess that's why they don't take the extra mile in taking care of it.

For as long as I could remember, Sundays was car wash day for our family. My Dad used to tell me that I can't have my own car until I learn how to take care of it so I was 8 or 9 pa lang I was already helping my Dad out. It taught me to be responsible plus it was great bonding time for us. I also know that it makes my Dad happy when he sees me cleaning the car so I usually do it voluntarily esp when I need to make lambing my Dad.

I guess what your friend could do is to show his children that it really pleases him to see them cleaning their cars or if he's a car enthusiast, he could introduce the children to his passion.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Haha. Your statement's similar to what he told them before allowing them to use his old car. Unfortunately their "enthusiasm" died down eventually. :D

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Bomber View Post
    Haha. Your statement's similar to what he told them before allowing them to use his old car. Unfortunately their "enthusiasm" died down eventually. :D
    its quite hard to sustain their enthusiasm. this is the challenge. there are so many things out there that they tend to focus on. "dad and son" teamwork seems to be under threaten now a days. persistence/patience is badly needed here.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Bomber View Post
    ... So I didn't answer him with how I got into detailing (or at the least doing my own washing) -- to 1. protect my investment, my car, and 2. to make it look prestine most of the time.
    Unless a person reaches this mindset, initiative could not be expected from him to care for, much less detail, the car like we car crazy guys do.

I guess we could only plant the seeds of responsibility, so to speak, to our kids at an early age. While this would not necessarily translate to caring for their parent's cars, at least they will come to value their own belongings and will consequently take the initiative to care for whatever it is they value most - which incidentally may be their own cars later on.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    i think the key to a child's heart is to know what their interests are and show them that you're interested in it, too, then slowly incorporate what you want them to learn/acquire with their interests. it will not make them feel like you're forcing something that they don't like. IMO

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    ok. will pass this on to him. and probably book mark this too for my future ref when my time comes. :-P

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    sh*t! i felt so old after i've reread what i just posted! :old:
    Last edited by iho250; September 1st, 2008 at 04:45 AM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Should have started early when they're younger..... Much more like fun play than work then (and hopefully now)....

6610:secret:

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    General rule when it comes to inspiring children:

1) know what their likes/dislikes are, interests. Sol that you'll know when you're treading in dangerous territory.
    2) Never compare them to others specially if you're telling them about their shortcomings.
    3) Lead by example.
    4) From time to time stop being a parent and act like an older sibling or even a friend.

I was motivated to be more productive in life when my dad started treating me this way. I'm happy to say na malayo na rin ang narating ko sa buhay because of the guidance given to me by my parents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast