New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I'll have my car repainted in the coming months..

Orig paint pa din ung nasa car, medyo faded na sa tagal and i got a suggestion from one of my friends na lihain na lang nang todo and wag i scrape tutal orig paint pa.

And process lang kse na alam ko is..

- Scrape or Liha
    - Latero if may gagawin
    - Primer
    - 1st coat of paint
    - 2nd coat of paint
    - buffing

ilang coat po ba gagawin? and usually ilang liters ma uubos?

Considering DUPONT or PPG, which is good? And, usually saan meron po nito? I mean, mas mura ba kung ako bibili nang paint and dalin ko na lang dun sa shop? or let the shop handle it.

May option pa kse ako as of this time (canvass and research pa kse), but i rather let the shop do all the talking sa supplier nila.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    some additions

Quote Originally Posted by lm723
    I'll have my car repainted in the coming months..

Orig paint pa din ung nasa car, medyo faded na sa tagal and i got a suggestion from one of my friends na lihain na lang nang todo and wag i scrape tutal orig paint pa.

And process lang kse na alam ko is..

- Scrape or Liha scrape to metal
    - Latero if may gagawin
    masilya or automotive putty application, then liha
    apply ng sealer
    - Primer
    - 1st coat of paint colored paint
    - 2nd coat of paint same color paint- shempre
    - -last part, if desired, clear coat acrylic for a glossy finish
    - buffing
    - waxing to protect the clear-coat topcoat

ilang coat po ba gagawin? and usually ilang liters ma uubos? depends on the size of your vehicle, mahina na ang 1 gallon

Considering DUPONT or PPG, which is good? both brands are good. try mo rin nippon paint if available

And, usually saan meron po nito? I mean, mas mura ba kung ako bibili nang paint and dalin ko na lang dun sa shop? or let the shop handle it.

dami paint centers catering to automotive paint. hanap ka lang, usually parang hardware yan na dediated sa paint. pintura lang binebenta nila at may signboard naman sila na "Paint Center". meron din silang parang brochure ng mga common paint colors ng mga kotse of various models. canvass ka muna, then go to your suking pintor/latero then compare prices

May option pa kse ako as of this time (canvass and research pa kse), but i rather let the shop do all the talking sa supplier nila.
    if you trust your latero/pintor well enough, you can let him do all the canvassing. discuss mo muna sa kanya kung ano gusto mo gawin. daanin mo sa diplomasya para ayusin nya trabaho.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    unless the paint has completely failed (cracking and peeling off), there's no need to strip it off before repainting. actually, it's far better to keep the original paint on because it improves the durability of the new finish and makes it much easier to do an excellent job.

in general, the steps of painting a car are:
    1. sand and repair any damaged areas, and replace any parts
    2. prep the surface - must be completely clean and lint-free, but also scuffed with fine sanding scratches to allow the paint to hold
    3. apply basecoat
    4. apply clearcoat
    5. buff and detail if necessary after completely dry/cured

if i were to paint that mazda in your avatar, it might take a gallon of basecoat and maybe 2 gallons of clearcoat. usually the painter applies 1 light basecoat (with the color), which is only enough to ensure uniformity and coverage (nothing visible underneath), and 1 nice wet and shiny clearcoat. any more will just create sags and drips.

imho, if you already know the color you want, let the paint shop do the shopping for you. it's what you pay them for and this way there are no excuses about getting shitty materials. it's not just a matter of buying paint also - you need to get separate base/clear mixtures, different grits of sandpaper, body putty, reducers, fisheye removers, etc. etc.

unless you know a lot about painting, i'd advise you to pick a trustworthy, reasonably priced shop...ask to see a car they painted and inquire about what guarantees they will offer with their work....and once you make a decision on who to go with, give them a sample "chip" of the color you want, and come back when they're done!

How repainting is done?