New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i got some acrylic paint from banawe paint center to touch up some minor scratches. although the color is OK and there's no paint bubbling, the new paint is not shiny. i want it to be shiny. :D

i tried rubbing compound (not turtle, which theveed says is really fast at polishing) unfortunately 10 minutes of work produced no discernable effect. now i'm thinking of using the felt polishing tip on my dremel (30,000 rpm!) to polish the touch-up paint. but i don't know where to buy a felt tip.. and at 30k rpm it might burn off the paint..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    orly... after touching up the paint (since you're using nippon acrylic i assume), you need to let the paint settle down for a day or two coz if you polish, compound or sand it right away, it's going to come off really quick as well... let it fully cure before you proceed sanding it with 1500-2000 grit sand paper then follow up with a compound then a polish.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hi, you are right :D

i tried using polishing compound on one area where the paint chipped (right at the door edge, where presumably the door hit some unfortunate's parked car when opening) and the paint came right off.

anyway the paint has been sitting for a week or two now. will try using polishing compound. i can't find 2000 grit sandpaper in true value though, just 1200 grit.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    dumadami na tayong mga taga north EB tayo one time hehhehe

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Orly, also before you sand the touched up part, feel the new paint if it has settled in to the scratch... deep scratches need a few coats of paint, for the paint to fill in the scratch... also clean the scratch first before filling it in with paint... a little alcohol on cotton will do... and dry it before filling in...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    sir theveed,
    medyo related po sa topic..
    i want to DIY my rear bumper..
    what are the procedures to follow?..
    i am going to use a compressor.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I dont do painting, nor do I know how hehe.

how to polish paint?