New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    You can change waxes from Nanoglos/Nanosliq to Collinite. Remember that a wax or sealant's primary duty is to protect the paint. I'm thinking of an appropriate analogy but my brain isn't functioning well 3:48 in the morning

Jerome of Autobisyo (near Southwoods) is the distributor of Collinite products locally. You can easily acquire one just by searching Collinite in sulit.. the wsc211 seller there is Will of Bluemile and Big Berts does not sell them (if memory serves right)

Yes. Collinite #845 is pure liquid wax and does not have any cleaners on it. Collinite #840 is their dedicated cleaner while their #SS126 is their cleaner-wax (AIO).

It's much easier to "feel" your paint if you insert your hand in a plastic bag then glide it over the paint. This way, your touch mechanism is more sensitive to the imperfections and is a more accurate representation of it ;)

Also remember to feel the hood rather than the lower side panels of the car. Why? Well, your lower body panels are susceptible to asphalt. I usually clay bi-annually but asphalt removal.. hell... I do it almost every month thanks to rampant post-election road renovations

--

For most people, here's what I recommend:

1) Haven't been to a detailer yet? Car's more than 1 year old?
    - Clay. Step 2/3 detail. Then maintain the wax on your own to save up on costs.

2) Car's fresh out of the CASA?
    - Step 1 detail then DIY maintain or if not, just wax it.

3) Car's heavily abused, always under the sun, haven't been detailed?
    - Hoping that the paint's still "alive", Clay, Step 3 and a roof please.

If anybody wants to ask me, here's my regimen: A yearly Step 3 compounding detailing session, a thrice-yearly Step 2 polishing session, an a bi-annual claying session. Wax? Well.. usually 90 days after the detailing sessions. When to wash the car? Only when I can't stand how dirty it is. Asphalt removal? Almost twice-a-week thanks to stupid Quezon Ave. renovations.

Once you buy the products and start paying for labor (well, I am lazy most of the time), costs per year significantly goes down thanks to your "investment".
    What cleaner is good for prep? Okay na ba ang cleaner wax ng mothers?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Trust me, lahat naman okay. Ask any detailer what's "good" and, most cases than not, they'll give you answers that aren't really objective but rather what they feel is good and what they prefer to use.

Mother's Cleaner wax is great. Although personally, I use KAIO for as my overall dedicated cleaner. Although for one-step AIO products, I like Collinite's SS126, Optimum's Poli-seal, and Meguiar's ColorX.

I don't know why but Mothers never really grew on me. Meguiars' did. But Mothers.. not too much. They're great products for the price though and quite accessible to purchase too!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Trust me, lahat naman okay. Ask any detailer what's "good" and, most cases than not, they'll give you answers that aren't really objective but rather what they feel is good and what they prefer to use.

Mother's Cleaner wax is great. Although personally, I use KAIO for as my overall dedicated cleaner. Although for one-step AIO products, I like Collinite's SS126, Optimum's Poli-seal, and Meguiar's ColorX.

I don't know why but Mothers never really grew on me. Meguiars' did. But Mothers.. not too much. They're great products for the price though and quite accessible to purchase too!
    Baka pambabae kasi mothers? Haha! Ang mahirap kasi sa KAIO. i dont know where to purchase them and i dont have any orbitals/polisher.hand application lang ako. Hehe

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by timykoo View Post
    Baka pambabae kasi mothers? Haha! Ang mahirap kasi sa KAIO. i dont know where to purchase them and i dont have any orbitals/polisher.hand application lang ako. Hehe
    KAIO works with hand application naman eh :D

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Was surprised there was no mention of Nanosil. I believe this serves as a polish of some sort. Cheap and widely available so I suggest you try it.

If your paint is in good condition and you just need to maintain it, suggest to just invest on the below...

Car Shampoo
    - either Microtex Wash or Wash and Wax
    - ONR (Optimum No Rinse)...quite pricey compared to Microtex but it's a rinseless wash...ever since getting one, I never used my Microtex Wash and Wax again

Mother's Clay Bar System
    - to remove those tiny spots/ imperfections...you should be able to feel these when you run your hand on your car panels
    - correct me if i'm wrong, but you usually just clay the horizontal portions of your car (hood, roof and trunk)
    - it sounds difficult and overwhelming but just say to hell with it and start doing it...it's easy and fun

Nanosil (until you get an AIO)
    - next step after claying
    - very easy to apply and buff off even by hand...it's not the best polish out there but for starters, you can immediately see its effect
    - i just don't like the smell

Collinite 845 or OCW (Optimum Car Wax)
    - both are good liquid waxes...but if you're after durability and ease of application, go with OCW
    - OCW is so easy to apply, smells great and is considered one of the most durable spray waxes in the market...it's such a joy to use I got myself a gallon ;)

Just start with this. When the results don't satisfy you anymore, then go buy some more stuff. Check out Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum ...you'd learn a lot about detailing as well. BUT be warned...you'll be spending on things you had no clue you'd spend on...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    No extra elbow grease required? Baka after ko mag KAIO manhid ma braso ko sir. Haha.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Tama boss. One thing with microtex products that i dont like is the smell. I believe nanosil was not included because it works best with polisher? E considering that the owner is a lady, baka mahirap masyado kapag by hand lang ang application ng nanosil.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by timykoo View Post
    Tama boss. One thing with microtex products that i dont like is the smell. I believe nanosil was not included because it works best with polisher? E considering that the owner is a lady, baka mahirap masyado kapag by hand lang ang application ng nanosil.
    One get optimum results with a polisher but applying it by hand is still workable. And it's not that hard to buff off

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    It is more tedious to make your silver car so shiny if you don't have buffing tools like a polisher.
    It is very doable but set aside time, say whole weekend morning.

This is what I did to my car after winter: Car Wash>Claying>Polishing>Waxing

Products are: Meguiar's Gold Shampoo, Mother's Clay Bar System, Meguair's Ultimate Polish and Meguiar's Gold Class carnauba wax.

I used an 8" buffer with white pad and this is the result:

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The difference between machine and hand application on the Nanosil isn't what we call negligible. Using a machine is a huge jump in the swirl-filling quality.

Nanosil works as a cleaner and a glaze. It isn't a polisher.. it's simply a supercharged glaze wherein it conceals swirl marks and light scratches by "filling" them up. And thanks to its filling action, if you're doing it by hand, you'll be applying more elbow grease than usual to break up the fillers. Definitely not recommended to a lady.

For most people, I would still recommend a polish or a compound (depending on how heavy the scratches are) because they level the paint to completely remove scratches rather than concealing them as compared to Nanosil.

Technically, Nanosil IS an all-in-one (AIO). It cleans and it protects. Durability will be around a week or so I believe in our rainy conditions.

Actually, the reason why I didn't go for OCW is because... 845 wins hands-down. There's actually a trick behind it. The price difference is justified once you factor in the jump in durability the #845 offers you (a month versus a week for the OCW). The trick is to move the #845 into a spray bottle. Problem is, you need to make sure it's in liquid form and not in its more paste-y form.

To do this, simply heat up the #845 by placing it under hot water or just let it bake in the sun for a couple of minutes. You then transfer it into a spray bottle then spray panel 1 -> spray panel 2 -> buff panel 1 -> spray panel 3 -> buff panel 2 -> and so on. However, the downside to this is that #845 MAY jam the sprayer so better clean it well afterwards. And if you're going to be using it again, better let it bake outside on the sun while you go prep your stuff

So yes, for an additional hundred pesos (and a sprayer), I'll have an awesome spray wax that will last me longer than OCW. Of course, OCW is still technically easier to apply since you don't need to buff it (spray -> spread using MF towel) but over the long run, #845 still trumps it in bang-per-buck ;)
    Last edited by jhnkvn; July 20th, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast