New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I need some tips on how to clean a black car. I've never owned one until now. Just want to have an idea on how to apply wax, etc. Thanks. It's been months since the last time I visited this forum. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    black is sooooo nice but sooooo difficult to maintain they are particularly prone to swirl marks!

i have a dark maroon pick-up truck and i do the following to avoid swirl marks and prolong the luster and shine between polishing/waxing:

1) before shampooing, water down the car very well to take off the dust, mud and other solid contaminants. do not attempt to wipe the car while watering it down. just water it down completely.

2) shampoo the car. first, have two pails/containers- one to contain shampoo for the body and the other for wheels/tires, and the under fenders. do not interchange the two since the intention is to avoid solid contaminants in the tires/whees/underfenders scratching the body. then, use a soft shampoo applicator like a wool-type of applicator sold at S&R or Mequires and shampoo away starting from the top down to the bottom of the car. then water down the shampoo.

3) lastly, wipe down using a good quality chamois. regularly rince the chamois to take out any solid contaminants that might scratch the body.

4) if you have the luxury of time, you may spray the body with a quick detailer (the ones in a spritzer) like that of meguiars and buff lightly using a soft terry cloth or a micro fiber (3M or flitz) sold at truevalue.

5) to prolong the luster and shine, i make it a point to polish and wax my truck every two months

moral lesson - to avoid the same tedious process with my two other vehicles, i had one painted bright silver and the other one white hehehe :lol:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfire
    moral lesson - to avoid the same tedious process with my two other vehicles, i had one painted bright silver and the other one white hehehe :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. PapaJoe Guest
    If I may add to woodfire's comments, I suggest that you only use the chamois to rinse off the water. The best way to do this is not to fold the chamois but instead pull the entire length (spreadout) of the chamois on the wet portion and wring it each time. There will naturally be leftover water but this time, try using 100% cotton terry cloths (no pranelas pls.)to "dab" over the remaining water and try not to "wipe". In this way, you avaoid scratches and swirlmarks. Chamois and pranelas are the same-- abrasive in nature given its flat surface and small dust particles have nowhere to hide. U can use Cannon bathtowels for drying but be sure to take away any potruding logos as this will scratch your paint. :wink:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Cali Duster is manna from heaven for any car owner.... especially for Blackies :wink:

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for all the input. You guys are really great!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ate Tess, buhay ka pa pala, hehehe. I too have owned a black car..... traded it in immediately after more than 6 months. Tama silang lahat..... always remember not to go to any public car wash kahit hand washed pa...... dun nagsimula yung swirl marks ko. Buy a big quality chamois or yung silicone-made na water remover to dry up your car (California Blade yata ang brand nun). Wag mong tatanggalin yung mga alikabok hangga't hindi mo sya hino-hose ng tubig. Hirap at matrabaho talaga ang itim pero ang ganda talagang tingnan pag malinis. Eleganteng-elegante. Bili ka na rin nung Meguiar's Scratch Remover..... sulit sa itim yan dahil hindi mo talaga maiiwasang hindi magkaroon ng swirl marks yan (like when travelling at high speeds, nahahanginan ng malakas yung mga alikabok specially sa hood kaya nagkaka-swirl marks).

8)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang hirap nga mag maintain ng black! sana nag silver na lang ako...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    if i may add to the discussion, i too have a black car. unfortunately, namana ko ng daming swirl marks na :arghhh: what i did most recently is applied meguiar's scratch x swirl remover like what macky said, wow tanggal mga swirl marks or at least na minimize. then i applied wax to protect the new finish, a lot better than it was before. definitely follow woodfire's advice din when shampooing your car

hey, have a black car too.

unfortunately, don't have the luxury or the time to wash/clean the car myself. kaya i have to go to the car wash.

i usually go once a week, although for some strange reason, ngayong rainy season, everytime na nagpapalinis ako, nauulanan on my way home! kaya madumi kaagad ulit. darn it.

dapat ba pinapa-wax ko din? my car is just 4 months old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to clean a black car