New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My car will be released next week from the CASA, it had to get the hood, doors, trunk, and 1 quarter panel stripped and repainted due to vandalism.

What are some ways that i can care for my car until I'm able to wax it after a month or two?
    -is claying ok?
    -what shampoo is recommended?
    -is quick detailer ok?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisKros View Post
    My car will be released next week from the CASA, it had to get the hood, doors, trunk, and 1 quarter panel stripped and repainted due to vandalism.

What are some ways that i can care for my car until I'm able to wax it after a month or two?
    -is claying ok?
    -what shampoo is recommended?
    -is quick detailer ok?
    Is claying ok?

Might be best not to clay yet - the paint is still not fully cured, which means it's not as hard as it will be, so it'll be easier to induce marring than usual.

What shampoo is recommended?

If the wax doesn't leave any residue on the car, it should be ok, but to be completely safe, better to just water wash - means you'll need to keep the car garaged to prevent it from getting too dirty from exposure. Definitely none of those combo shampoo and wax products.

Is quick detailer ok?

Generally speaking, no. Most QDs leave polymers on the surface that could interfere with the outgassing of the paint. Meguiar's Final Inspection is certified as body-shop safe, so you can use it on newly painted surfaces. Also, Optimum have confirmed that their Optimum Car Wax is also safe for use on new paint.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    umi001:
    Thanks for the reply.
    So there's not much I can actually do except for a water wash?
    no other shampoo out that that that won't complicate the curring proccess proccess?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    You can also use meguiars #80 Speed Glaze to temporarily protect your finish while its curing. No issues with using car shampoo on a newly painted panel just use car shampoos that are wax safe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    umi001:
    Thanks for the reply.
    So there's not much I can actually do except for a water wash?
    no other shampoo out that that that won't complicate the curring proccess proccess?
    I would suppose most car shampoos would be ok - personally I'd still wash with a shampoo, because I can't bear the thought of just a water wash if the car is dirty. Just be sure to pick one that's just a shampoo - again, no combo wash and wax products - and be sure to rinse well to ensure that no residue is left.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys. I'm going to the Casa tomorrow, my car is getting released with new fresh paint.

Thanks for all of the input.
    By thew ay..where can i find meguiars #80 Speed Glaze?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm going to the Casa tomorrow, my car is getting released with new fresh paint.

Thanks for all of the input.
    By thew ay..where can i find meguiars #80 Speed Glaze?
    Hmmm, not sure - maybe at Simex? Alternatively, there are also 3M products - Imperial Hand Glaze and New Car Protector (?) - which are also ok to use on newly-painted cars. You can get them by sachet from Ace and other hardware stores.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    As per checking, Meguiar’s #80 Speed Glaze is a polish and removes light swirls and oxidation to restore a “new paint” shine, it has a cut of 4 form their scale of 1 - 10.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+BSP+32
    http://www.autogeek.net/mg80.html

You should check with the CASA how many days is the curing/drying time before a wax/sealant can be applied. You can apply glaze weekly like Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze to keep it looking good till it cures.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SHOW+16
    http://www.autogeek.net/meg7showcarg.html

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for all of the input =) can't wait til after this curring process so i can start back up with regular waxing and quick detailing again, then avail Optiguard.
    I got the car back yesterday. Looks great. Brand new again.
    but there was a light glare/haze on the hood..which i hear goes away after some buffing.
    I wasn't able to find those products mentioned. but i did find 3M's paint protection (says it's good for newly painted cars)

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all of the input =) can't wait til after this curring process so i can start back up with regular waxing and quick detailing again, then avail Optiguard.
    I got the car back yesterday. Looks great. Brand new again.
    but there was a light glare/haze on the hood..which i hear goes away after some buffing.
    I wasn't able to find those products mentioned. but i did find 3M's paint protection (says it's good for newly painted cars)
    Heh, that's the one I was referring to, got the name wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to care for newly painted car?