New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Hi guys,

Wanted to consult you guys about spraying clear coat over an existing clear coat that's damaged in some portions.

A few weeks ago, I had some of my panels repainted in a Toyota Casa. After the job was done, I noticed 2 clear coat defects (that manifested only when it's raining hard) on a panel that was not supposed to be repaired. One was a piso-sized spot near the door handle, and the other one was on the edge of the door itself, which admittedly previously had some dings, but whose clear coat was definitely not damaged in this manner before.

I raised the issue to my service adviser and they agreed to repair the door, so I brought it back to the Casa.

According to the SA, they fixed it by spraying a new layer of clear coat over the existing one, because they wanted to preserve the factory finish of that particular panel. Now, the piso-sized spot has disappeared and looks perfectly fine, whereas in the case of the door edge, I can still see the outline of where the previous clear coat started peeling off, but looks otherwise fine as well. I am certain they did not repaint the whole panel because I was able to get the car the day after I brought it in.

My concern - I've been trying to read about this process of spraying clear coat over existing coat, but overwhelming, what I read is that it doesn't seem to be recommended at all. The SA claims that this process is okay as long as the existing clear coat is not that badly damaged, and that this is a permanent fix.

Could you please share your thoughts about this? Should I be worried that the clear coat will peel off prematurely some time in the future, and that the casa just tried to cut costs? Or is this a standard process that I'm just not aware about?

Thanks in advance, you guys!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Should have repainted the whole panel.

Katamaran lang yung excuse nila "to preserve the factory finish"

3. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUninvited View Post
    Should have repainted the whole panel.

Katamaran lang yung excuse nila "to preserve the factory finish"
    Yes, I suspect it had something to do with that as well, but is this something I need to be worried about long term? That is, is it something worth going back to them to try to get it fixed properly?

Aesthetically, it looks fine, except for that edge of the door where I see (upon close inspection) the outline of the previously peeling clear coat.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Since sa edge and problema, it may start there eventually.

Just insist to repaint the whole panel.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by polemicducky View Post
    Hi guys,

Wanted to consult you guys about spraying clear coat over an existing clear coat that's damaged in some portions.

A few weeks ago, I had some of my panels repainted in a Toyota Casa. After the job was done, I noticed 2 clear coat defects (that manifested only when it's raining hard) on a panel that was not supposed to be repaired. One was a piso-sized spot near the door handle, and the other one was on the edge of the door itself, which admittedly previously had some dings, but whose clear coat was definitely not damaged in this manner before.

I raised the issue to my service adviser and they agreed to repair the door, so I brought it back to the Casa.

According to the SA, they fixed it by spraying a new layer of clear coat over the existing one, because they wanted to preserve the factory finish of that particular panel. Now, the piso-sized spot has disappeared and looks perfectly fine, whereas in the case of the door edge, I can still see the outline of where the previous clear coat started peeling off, but looks otherwise fine as well. I am certain they did not repaint the whole panel because I was able to get the car the day after I brought it in.

My concern - I've been trying to read about this process of spraying clear coat over existing coat, but overwhelming, what I read is that it doesn't seem to be recommended at all. The SA claims that this process is okay as long as the existing clear coat is not that badly damaged, and that this is a permanent fix.

Could you please share your thoughts about this? Should I be worried that the clear coat will peel off prematurely some time in the future, and that the casa just tried to cut costs? Or is this a standard process that I'm just not aware about?

Thanks in advance, you guys!
    If you're not 101% happy with the paint job... Don't accept it, bring it back, insist on what would make you happy. This is the only sane reason why people have their repairs/services done by casa... Total customer satisfaction is what you pay for.