New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hi Everyone,

I noticed that the chrome emblem in my car is starting to tarnish. I think this is because we live beside a river. This is also happening to the other car parked beside mine in our house. What are my options? Anything I can wipe to protect the emblem? It's hard to remove the tarnish right now. My dad applied metal polish to clean the emblem on the other car but it came back in a few weeks. I would rather maintain the stock look but if I don't have a way of protecting the chrome pieces, can you guys recommend a shop for painting? Maybe plastidip? A decal shop quoted me 4500 to have the chrome pieces blacked out which seems to be expensive.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mousemouse View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I noticed that the chrome emblem in my car is starting to tarnish. I think this is because we live beside a river. This is also happening to the other car parked beside mine in our house. What are my options? Anything I can wipe to protect the emblem? It's hard to remove the tarnish right now. My dad applied metal polish to clean the emblem on the other car but it came back in a few weeks. I would rather maintain the stock look but if I don't have a way of protecting the chrome pieces, can you guys recommend a shop for painting? Maybe plastidip? A decal shop quoted me 4500 to have the chrome pieces blacked out which seems to be expensive.

thanks
    Buy a new chrome emblem, and stock it until maasar ka na sa faded bit hehe. What car / emblem is this exactly?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Buy a new chrome emblem, and stock it until maasar ka na sa faded bit hehe. What car / emblem is this exactly?
    its an altis which I bought this past february only and now, 7 months after, it is already tarnishing. I'm not sure of the toyota logo can be replaced by itself since it seems it is part of the entire front grill. any experience with wraps or painting emblems?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    its an altis which I bought this past february only and now, 7 months after, it is already tarnishing. I'm not sure of the toyota logo can be replaced by itself since it seems it is part of the entire front grill. any experience with wraps or painting emblems?
    not familiar with toyota loga/badge but usually pag hindi naka screw then most probably naka double-sided tape yan.
    Meron mga nag co-chrome plating na mga shop if gusto pa rin ng chrome.
    If you want to change it into another color then strip the chromes muna. Paint and chrome doesnt go along very well. Bleach(unscented) is a good chrome stripper or oven cleaner. Pero pina ka the best is mixture of 1part muriatic acid 3part hydrogen peroxide. Bilis ma tanggal ang chrome nyan. Then pag plastic na lang matira sand a little and paint it with whatever color you like.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Matrabaho pala hehe. I think the air is a little saltier in our area due to the river. Sa emblem ko, i noticed na sa mga singit na laging may water nagsastart mag tarnish. Dati may 10+ year old car kami na ganito din nangyari then slowly pati yun mga straight lang na panel nagka konting tarnishing na din. How about plastidip? may nakapag try na?

Quote Originally Posted by D3nb3r View Post
    not familiar with toyota loga/badge but usually pag hindi naka screw then most probably naka double-sided tape yan.
    Meron mga nag co-chrome plating na mga shop if gusto pa rin ng chrome.
    If you want to change it into another color then strip the chromes muna. Paint and chrome doesnt go along very well. Bleach(unscented) is a good chrome stripper or oven cleaner. Pero pina ka the best is mixture of 1part muriatic acid 3part hydrogen peroxide. Bilis ma tanggal ang chrome nyan. Then pag plastic na lang matira sand a little and paint it with whatever color you like.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Matrabaho pala hehe. I think the air is a little saltier in our area due to the river. Sa emblem ko, i noticed na sa mga singit na laging may water nagsastart mag tarnish. Dati may 10+ year old car kami na ganito din nangyari then slowly pati yun mga straight lang na panel nagka konting tarnishing na din. How about plastidip? may nakapag try na?
    Tried using plastidip dati pero di ko gusto ang durability. Masagi lang ng konti ng kahit anong matigas na bagay sira agad ang paint job and yung na gasgas na area ay dun mag umpisa ang peel off if di mo ma retouch. Also pag nag retouch ka kitang kita yun imperfections. Mas maganda and matibay pa ang outcome ng 100pesos/can na bosny spray paint if for permanent paint job and kung ma gasgas man pwede mo i sand konti then ma spray ka lang on top of the previous coating. If temporary lang ok ang plastidip.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Actually madali lang...

Go to the parts section ng casa, or call up a casa and ask magkano yung chrome grill logo for your year model vehicle.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    I meant the painting ang matrabaho so malabong ma DIY ko. I guess punta na lang ako ng shops to ask around. I want to avoid having to replace the emblem every 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Actually madali lang...

Go to the parts section ng casa, or call up a casa and ask magkano yung chrome grill logo for your year model vehicle.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ok thanks D3nb3r! ikutan ko muna mga shops dito para malaman options ko.

Quote Originally Posted by D3nb3r View Post
    Tried using plastidip dati pero di ko gusto ang durability. Masagi lang ng konti ng kahit anong matigas na bagay sira agad ang paint job and yung na gasgas na area ay dun mag umpisa ang peel off if di mo ma retouch. Also pag nag retouch ka kitang kita yun imperfections. Mas maganda and matibay pa ang outcome ng 100pesos/can na bosny spray paint if for permanent paint job and kung ma gasgas man pwede mo i sand konti then ma spray ka lang on top of the previous coating. If temporary lang ok ang plastidip.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I meant the painting ang matrabaho so malabong ma DIY ko. I guess punta na lang ako ng shops to ask around. I want to avoid having to replace the emblem every 6 months
    call up the casa and ask for availability and price.
    or, go to an auto parts and accessories store, and inquire for one.
    who knows, the replacement part may be much cheaper than having yours repainted, retouched or plated. after all, it's just plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Chrome emblem tarnishing/ painting questions