New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi. I read the car detailing thread for newbies but I'm very disappointed because it seems that all posts on that thread are for experienced/professionals car detailers. There are so many terms that I don't understand such as "orbital", "clay", "buffer", "prepping". Newbies such as myself could not definitely relate to those terms. Is there anyone here who could give help on do-it-yourself car detailing for REAL noobs?

I'm about to get my first car this march (brand new Honda Civic 1.8S) and since it will be my first car, I want to take very good care of it. I want to keep it clean and shiny all the time. I hope someone could help me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you take time to read the posts there (and try to use google once in a while) you'll learn a lot. Most of the noob questions that you'll ask probably already has an answer there.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    If you take time to read the posts there (and try to use google once in a while) you'll learn a lot. Most of the noob questions that you'll ask probably already has an answer there.
    You are somehow correct, but for so many reasons I prefer getting help from members of tsikot. Googling isn't always the best way to get answers. And I am sure a fellow Filipino will be more helpful since he/she may know what and where to get the tools of the trade locally.

Can someone help me please. Or is this site for pros only and not for newbies? I'm kinda new here.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    well detailing should be accompanied by time and patience…. Do take time to read and google once needed as m2 suggests. you are also very welcome to post / ask questions there whatever you think that hasn't been discussed.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just for you, I've posted a frequently used terms hehe... check the sticky.

Seriously, thanks for bringing it up, I know we have a glossary somewhere but probably got buried somewhere.

But as to how things are used, I'm 1000% sure that they are well covered, especially simple things like shampoo, clay, wax etc... Just use the search function.
    Last edited by theveed; February 18th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hcdangan View Post
    You are somehow correct, but for so many reasons I prefer getting help from members of tsikot. Googling isn't always the best way to get answers. And I am sure a fellow Filipino will be more helpful since he/she may know what and where to get the tools of the trade locally.

Can someone help me please. Or is this site for pros only and not for newbies? I'm kinda new here.
    Errrr... *fellow Filipinos* are the ones who have posted/replied in "other thread".

As to the usefulness of google... I just tried googling the term "clay bar":
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html (pretty extensive explanation).

Googling "prepping + detailing" yields:
    http://www.howtodothings.com/automot...l-your-vehicle

I'm also a noob at detailing... I just know enough for the weekly maintenance of my vehicle... and what to expect when I have my vehicle detailed by professionals.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    how about wet sanding or buffing it? these are some of the detailing techniques that i've searched with the help of google....

http://www.mobileworks.com/wet_sanding.html

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Can you give me a simple step by step procedure, then I will search the details on google. For example: 1. washing, 2. claying, 3. waxing (if this is correct). Then perhaps I could search "washing", "claying", and "waxing" on Google. And thanks for the glossary post.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.web-cars.com/detail/index.php

This site helped me a lot in understanding some terms. May pics pa.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hcdangan View Post
    Can you give me a simple step by step procedure, then I will search the details on google. For example: 1. washing, 2. claying, 3. waxing (if this is correct). Then perhaps I could search "washing", "claying", and "waxing" on Google. And thanks for the glossary post.
    It's in the Detailing thread... Read it CAREFULLY... No point asking us to re-write things we've already written years ago.

If you can't invest some time searching, don't expect others to waste their time re-writing what's already written just to spoon-feed.
    Last edited by theveed; February 19th, 2008 at 09:48 AM.

Car Detailing: I need help. The other thread wasn't very helpful.