New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hi guys,

I am contemplating for an undercoat since raniy days are fast approaching. Upon searching about good shops that does this service, I stumbled upon a forum that made me think twice.

"I used to work alongside the inventor of the 3M undercoating system and guess what he said..... "Don't use it." Straight from the horse's mouth na yan. Been there, done that, no more undercoating for me. Regular chassis washing/cleaning/detailing is all you need. Rubberized undercoatings will just hide the rust until it's too late to do anything about it. Body repair ang bagsak mo diyan.

Don't listen to media and marketing hype. You don't need to buy lots of fancy stuff to make your car look & run well. Remember, 40 years ago they didn't use undercoatings in Wolfsburg and look at all the VW's that have survived since then. Now look at the recent restorations with undercoatings and crusty floors. Find a pattern? Keep it simple. HTH!"

"The rubberized coating only hid the rust. When the coating hardens, it becomes brittle and when a stone or some object runned over by the tires would hit it, a crack develops and its where water would seep through. The water stays in between the metal and the undercoating, never having the chance to dry up. You would see it more in the wheel well area. "

from http://www.vwcp.org/forum/viewtopic....8912c3ec917923

Since the missing link here is when the undercoat hardens and get cracks, there will be room for water to store which will create rust through time. Now I was thinking if the bedliners being applied into pick-ups are strong enough to be applied undercoat? Or am I being on the wrong path?

Thanks for all your comments!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jarod View Post
    Since the missing link here is when the undercoat hardens and get cracks, there will be room for water to store which will create rust through time. Now I was thinking if the bedliners being applied into pick-ups are strong enough to be applied undercoat? Or am I being on the wrong path?

Thanks for all your comments!
    I myself am wary of undercoats. Parang mas okey pa kung primer and paint na lang.

Gurus, what say you?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    +1 on paint primer and paint. What you have researched has some truth in it. Am for one have not used any undercoating on my vehicles. Regular washing with water and preventive maintenance works wonders for me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    My Lancer itlog has no additional tar undercoating since day 1 only few layers of enamel paint on the wheel wells.

No rust..no peel off paint Regular washing will do

Those elastormeric paints can easily crack after few years and trapped moisture in between will be the starting point for rusting.

This is the reason I decline Casa's offer that I should have an undercoating treatment for additional P4,800 on my new Innova I told the SA that Toyota is claiming and has 3 years warranty against body rust, how could I claim warranty if ever there's rust formation that is hidden by those tar coating???

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Jarod,
    Mapopost pa lang sana ko ng new thread on
    "What could happen if you dont apply Undercoating"

Ilang araw ko na iniisip kung dapat ba ko magpalagay ng Undercoat sa CRV ko..
    Eversince walang undercoat CRV ko 98' model pa ito..

Madalas ko lang sya hinuhugasan (wheel wells) lalo na pag naidadaan sa putik..
    My Problem is ung pang gitnang part.. di ko maabot para malinis..
    Problem kasi eh busy ang schedule pati Sunday..

Sana may makapagsuggest sakin on how to clean it..DIY..
    if not.. the easiest for me is Shell.. (underwash) Okay ba dito?
    May malapit samin.. siguro kahit 30minutes pwede manakaw sa oras ko..

I saw some pictures na in-undercoat.. pati muffler may ganun? springs.. etc..
    medyo untidy lalo tignan.. spray lang ng spray.. and yes mukhang pagtagal magbrittle sya.. by the closer looks of it even di ko pa natry..

Bedliner Undercoat