New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Since the Philippines can't manufacture curved sheet metal, maybe the local manufacturers can go for an alternative material, fiberglass (as shown by BAR).

TVR cars are generally a limited production sports car with a mix and match of parts taken from different manufacturers and assembled together into a tubular frame chassis and wrapped in a beautifully sculptured fiberglass body.

I would think with mass production, fiberglass panels will be cheaper. Engines can be sourced as needed/required but limited to maybe two to three types to ensure proper fitting in the chassis along side other engine bay components.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I like the idea. Hopefully we can design and produce something distinct enough that can become an identity for Philippine (sports) vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Question but quite off of the topic. I`m just curious though.

How much does each vehicle of TVR costs ?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    I like the idea. Hopefully we can design and produce something distinct enough that can become an identity for Philippine (sports) vehicles.
    Yes, agree with the idea too.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Koenigsegg

wiki
    History

The initial design of the Koenigsegg CC was drawn by Christian von Koenigsegg. He then went with his sketches to Industrial Designer David Crafoord in order for him to realize the sketches into a scale 1:5 model. David then laid his personal touch to the design brief and finished the model. This model was later scaled up by Sven-Harry Åkesson in order to create the base plug for the initial Koenigsegg prototype that was finished in 1996. During the next years the prototype went through extensive testing and several new prototypes were built.

Von Koenigsegg got the idea to build his own car after watching the Norwegian puppet movie Pinchcliffe Grand Prix in his youth.[3] However, he took his first steps in the world of business in his early 20's running a trading company called Alpraaz in Stockholm, Sweden. Alpraaz exports food from Europe to the developing world. The success of this venture gave von Koenigsegg the necessary financial standing to launch his chosen career as a car manufacturer.

Initially, Koenigsegg Automotive was based in Olofström. In 1997, The company needed larger facilities and moved to Margretetorp, just outside of Ängelholm. However, on February 22, 2003, one of the production facilities caught fire and was badly damaged. From 2003 and on Koenigsegg has converted two large fighter-jet hangars and an office building into a car factory. Since the factory is located on the still-active Ängelhol"m airport, clients can arrive by private jet right next to the factory. Furthermore, Koenigsegg controls and uses the former military runway for shakedown runs of production cars and high speed testing.
    ^^

make your money first

when you're loaded, then pursue your passion

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Question but quite off of the topic. I`m just curious though.

How much does each vehicle of TVR costs ?
    Last I remember, the equivalent of about 4-5 million pesos. And that's before importation costs. Of course, since they're made in the UK, a lot of that cost is local taxes in the UK... if they built a LHD version for export (they've been planning to for the longest time, but it never seems to materialize), I'd say it would cost about 6-8m to bring in.

6-8m for a car that's faster around a track than an M3 but probably not as fast as a Nissan GT-R, built of fiberglass and smelling of horse. Fantastic looking cars, though...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Since the Philippines can't manufacture curved sheet metal, maybe the local manufacturers can go for an alternative material, fiberglass (as shown by BAR).

TVR cars are generally a limited production sports car with a mix and match of parts taken from different manufacturers and assembled together into a tubular frame chassis and wrapped in a beautifully sculptured fiberglass body.

I would think with mass production, fiberglass panels will be cheaper. Engines can be sourced as needed/required but limited to maybe two to three types to ensure proper fitting in the chassis along side other engine bay components.
    There may be a market for a cheap locally made sports car with second hand mechanicals because:

1) There is no low cost sports car in the local market today. Anybody making an inexpensive sports car will have no competition in that category.

2) Sports cars are emotional purchase items. But a properly made cheap sports car can also be a logical choice as a second car. It can be economical to run because it is lighter. Parts are readily available since these are from existing cars.

3) A locally made sports car with the right styling can be desirable. Park any foreign made 4-door sedan to Bar Stunner's car and the foreign car looks boring by comparison.

4) Sports cars are fun to drive because of better power-to-weight ratios.

The question is - if a locally made sports car is such a good idea, why didn't Binky Victa succeed with his Conge cars? I don't know. Maybe the Conge did not have that panache that sports cars are supposed to have, that "gotta have one" factor (example: Miata). I remember the Conge roadster looked boxy and the Conge mid-engine car had weird proportions. (Apologies to Mr. Victa. At least he was able to make cars, while most of us, myself included, just dream.)
    Last edited by donbuggy; November 6th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Di bale, Don.
    Everybody just keep dreaming.
    Maybe some day we will wake up ...

... and make cars.
    Last edited by dprox; November 6th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    tvr used to create the sculpted body of their most expensive car with kevlar in the late 80's. kevlar on curve surfaces was unstable as most cars have to be rebodied within a year after purchase. the typhon (first pic? or is that the tuscan-r) if i'm not mistaken is made of of carbonfibre- using conventional technology. same goes for sagaris (2nd pic). young graduates were those responsible for those wild shapes coming from the not-at-all-glamorous styling studio in bristol. a bit shoddy pa nga like a shed. pero egalitarian yung workplace nila as in everybody chips in whatever they can. like anything else they weren't taken seriously locally and by the germans bec they weren't expensive enough blah blah blah. sounds familiar ah.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    maganda nga yan!!!

Textured Vegetable Roadster hehehe (joke) :D

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
TVR cars