New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi,

If anyone is interested to volunteer his/her talents to help design a mobile laboratory kindly send me your email address through PM. The purpose of the vehicle is to travel nationwide and test our groundwater for drinking safety.

This is also being considered as a possible Rapid Response vehicle for calamities that result in pollution of water sources etc. (possibly to provide safe potable water etc.-- all components not yet defined).

I basically need assistance with the design and the projection of the costs. Will provide more info through email.

Salamat!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Is this a government project? design or design and fabrication?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OyiL View Post
    Is this a government project? design or design and fabrication?
    hindi po. environmental NGO po kami.

well, originally i was just looking for some help on the design...but eventually when we implement this...we will have to source a manufacturer as well.
    Last edited by itchywitch; August 10th, 2007 at 05:58 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a little clarification...

imagine a nice pick-up..kelangan 4x4 so that it can travel to remote and rough areas when needed... how would you convert a pick-up into something like a water patrol vehicle?

Feel free to suggest also the brand of the pick-up. But budget cannot be sky-high. We will be raising the money for this once we have the design ready.

We have no expertise in cars. In my group I may be the only gearhead. That's how lost we are.

Please send me a PM if you are interested to help.

Thanks in advance!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by itchywitch View Post
    Hi,

If anyone is interested to volunteer his/her talents to help design a mobile laboratory kindly send me your email address through PM. The purpose of the vehicle is to travel nationwide and test our groundwater for drinking safety.
    This is also being considered as a possible Rapid Response vehicle for calamities that result in pollution of water sources etc. (possibly to provide safe potable water etc.-- all components not yet defined).
    I basically need assistance with the design and the projection of the costs. Will provide more info through email.
    Salamat!
    Hi itchywitch. Your group's project has the fullest endorsement from this Forum.

Yup! How ironic that while we are a tropical archipelago - surrounded by water, raining almost half the year - yet, 60% of our people have no access to safe drinking water, and we need to buy the stuff in bottles pa! It's a situation that cries to heaven for redress and action. (The sadder part of this tragedy is that our people have become addicted to soft drinks, which they pay for even in the farthest-flung islands!)

:groupwave: FYI, there is already a roundtable of fine gentlemen in this Forum who will mobilize to take on your project -- two of whom are involved in health care delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by itchywitch View Post
    a little clarification...
    imagine a nice pick-up..kelangan 4x4 so that it can travel to remote and rough areas when needed... how would you convert a pick-up into something like a water patrol vehicle?
    Feel free to suggest also the brand of the pick-up. But budget cannot be sky-high. We will be raising the money for this once we have the design ready.
    We have no expertise in cars. In my group I may be the only gearhead. That's how lost we are.
    Please send me a PM if you are interested to help.
    Thanks in advance!
    Your project will require a DESIGN BRIEF, which is essentially a qualification and quantification of your requirements.
    If you envision driving nationwide, and at times offroad, we recommend you go for a no-frills, medium tech vehicle. Try getting a sponsor whose cause is eco-friendly.
    For your 4x4 pickup platforms, the choices are limited: Isuzu DMax, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Hi-Lux, Ford Ranger. Not a Humvee, coz you might be mistaken by NPA to be military. OR, you might not even need such a big 4x4, if your lab equipment is not that bulky or complex anyway. It also depends on how many pax will be in the party ... er, team pala. (FYI, there was a concept lab vehicle the Terranaut, exhibited in the 2006 Geneva Auto Show. Then there's the Jurassic Park motorpool, remember? Just imagining. Van types: 1 | 2. Camper type 1)

EBs will be necessary. Very important to bring your lab specs in bag, and sortie scenarios and behavior circuits in mind.
    Fortunately, custom fabricators still exist in the suburbs.
    Let us know your timetable and where you are based.
    Identify your NGO by PM, and let's explore some possibilities.
    Last edited by dprox; August 11th, 2007 at 01:55 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I suggest SFA Hilux for the job... Its not that comfortable but will surely do the job!

You go anywhere, new diesel engines of new pick-ups are very sensitive. So I suggest the no-computer no electronic diesel engine, no computer box.

2nd hand Toyota Hilux is the way to go...

If the Hilux is not that big, I suggest you go for like this one...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/840825

You can always have your space in the back for everything that your team needs! Bed, Table, Lab etc.

I think Almazora can do something like this...

YOUR TEAM WILL DEFINITELY LOOK COOL ON THIS ONE!
    Last edited by drey; August 11th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
    iam3739.com

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dprox & drey: Wow! Great pics!!! Very very interesting. Guys thanks for your replies. We need all the help we can get. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Noted all your comments on the vehicle type etc.

dprox: sent you a reply

Salamat ulit!!!
    Last edited by itchywitch; August 13th, 2007 at 12:19 PM.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    May nakikita akong isuzu fuego dito na may mini laboratory. Post ko yung pic pag nakita ko ulit.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Best nga if it's a secondhand vehicle (for price concerns)...

How capable a 4x4 do you need? Will something like a 4x4 KC-truck do, or will you need a pick-up with locking differentials?

What you need is fairly simple, and can be done by many local shops. The primary problem is what vehicle you will use as a base.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    I think Almazora can do something like this...
    YOUR TEAM WILL DEFINITELY LOOK COOL ON THIS ONE!
    I don't think Almazora will go out of its way to do this. Kaya natin 'to, di ba romski123? After all, I think I saw your photo in a meeting with itchywitch's friends already.

BUT before we even think of how it's gonna LOOK, we need to sit down and find out exactly how it's gonna WORK. Design Brief muna.
    Last edited by dprox; August 13th, 2007 at 04:24 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Design for mini Mobile Laboratory (on back of pickup or camper)