New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon119 View Post
    By high performance I mean, a vehicle that compares in performance to that of a Lotus Elise, Alfa Romeo 4C, Alpine A110, and Porsche Boxster.

Sent from my Flare S5 Plus using Tapatalk
    OK... I can now see what you're looking for... Sadly, I don't think we have what you need locally...

Normally, small industries you will see will fabricate something from you that's made of steel - which will be too heavy

We have local shops that can weld/fabricate aluminum, but I think the metallurgy is not yet there.
    (Even yung local steel natin is not as good as the Japanese/Europeans, heck even the Koreans and Chinese cannot compete with them)

To have something that compares with the brands you mentioned, you will need carbon fiber...

Next, local registration... I think you will need a proper chassis number (used by OTJ, Trucks and PUJs), body number for cars... If you build your own... Walang basis and LTO for documentation.

If performance is not required (ok na yung looks), hanap ka lang ng magaling na latero...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    get a civic type-R crate engine

TIG welded chro-moly steel tubing

doable

better yet make it electric

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post

doable

Spoon crate engine

4. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

i understand what you're planning to build

re chassis fabricators

what you will find in the provinces are shops that make chassis for jeepneys and buses

maybe you can contract them to fabricate chassis according to your specifications
    That is exactly how the prototype chassis will be. Albet, mid engined. I am still designing the rear engine cradle but as for the passenger compartment and front suspension box it is well set up. I would be using square tube, however i would prefer round but for now I need a test bed chassis for prototyping drivetrain and construction purposes.

I heard of the jeepney shops but I am still trying to locate the welders for them and see if they could point to someone who could assist me. I would like the tubing to be 308 stainless steel, which would be further powder coated for extra degree of rust prevention for now.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    lots of good pinoy welders

you just have to provide the blueprint, capital, equipment, materials

-

get those female welders trained by TESDA

they say female welders are even better than male welders
    Understood, will keep that in mind. I was in talks with a welder who quoted me all that he would need but the fact that I would need to ship the chassis from Manila to Mindanao for assembly kind of scared me so I am not looking for people closer. I might put an ad up again on the facebook groups and see if anyone is interested.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    i like the idea of a boutique car company

those supercar makers not owned by major car companies

like Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc

if i was a dollar billionaire i'd build a car company like those
    Thank you, my hopes is that the company can share the show space with the best of the sports car marques and become a symbol of pinoy talent.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    OK... I can now see what you're looking for... Sadly, I don't think we have what you need locally...

Normally, small industries you will see will fabricate something from you that's made of steel - which will be too heavy

We have local shops that can weld/fabricate aluminum, but I think the metallurgy is not yet there.
    (Even yung local steel natin is not as good as the Japanese/Europeans, heck even the Koreans and Chinese cannot compete with them)

To have something that compares with the brands you mentioned, you will need carbon fiber...

Next, local registration... I think you will need a proper chassis number (used by OTJ, Trucks and PUJs), body number for cars... If you build your own... Walang basis and LTO for documentation.

If performance is not required (ok na yung looks), hanap ka lang ng magaling na latero...
    Actually, not quite. Noble, BAC, Radical, and even Ariel are creating cars from steel tubing. The trick is in the chassis design and tubing used.

Dont worry I wont need welded aluminum in the chassis just welders that could work with stainless steel and possibly chrome moly, but if I used that in would need to heat treat it to prevent it from being to brittle afterwards.

Yes I am still studying what would be required by the LTO to register it. Since I would have the cars road tested before being delivered to customers and dealerships.

For now though the steel tube chassis should suffice. But i am already working on a composite monocoque chassis idea that if works would allow the car to be built in a few shorter days and allow thr technicians time to focus more on the fit and finish of the car.

However the rear subframe would still remain steel for crash safety and modular use of the tub.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post

doable

When I was first starting this project i had the idea to build an open top roadster, in the same way that the Europeans were building their track day cars. However after I took into consideration the environment, weather, and various unique factors to the Philippines. I made a new design which is now a closed top coupe. The first design would of been with the Civic type r engine. Since the money saved on interior appointment would be directed to the drive train but with the change in design i also changed direction on the engine.

Furthermore Honda is only releasing the Type R engine to racing programs. So I looked else where and decided to go a hybrid route for this vehicle to gate Euro 4 compliance for export into the EU and America.

If the welders i hire can heat treat i would be glad to work with chrome moly but if not 308 ss it is.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Spoon crate engine

I would love to but this car is being exported so must meet safety, emissions, and noise regulations and unfortunately the spoon engine wont meet the stringent requirements in Europe for a 2018-2019 automobile.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    you sure about stainless? it's about as weak as mild steel. probably more brittle than mild steel when welded.

as for the weldable aluminum alloys they need heat treatment which involves a quenching tank

i'm now building an electric dirt bike from scratch. all-original frame design and motor placement. i chose mild steel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast