New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I would think getting the license for the REVO or similar (including rights to build the whole engine locally) would be be the best idea.
    Ye, I will go for this.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i wasnt enlightened by that

it's vague

“We have long advocated that given the opportunity and the resources, the Filipino engineer can build a truly Pinoy vehicle.
    ^^^
    we here in tsikot forums also keep saying that

what's new?

Villareal said the proposed PBV must be locally-designed, developed and assembled vehicle for the mass market, low priced, with high local value added labor and materials and compliant to standards.
    ^^^
    sounds great

but it's just some guy talking about a dream project

"the proposed PBV must be so and so..."

it's so vague it's not even an actual plan

it's like the discussions here in tsikot

"the pinoy car will have so and so specs... it will also have so and so features... it will be this... it will be that..."

it's like a guy talking about what kind of car he's gonna build one day... when he gets the chance to build it... and when he has the money

According to the study Deloitte Economics (Australia), the Philippines could be the best bet as the second regional hub for the global auto players provided the right government incentives support and commitment of players to invest and expand operations to attain a global manufacturing scale of 500,000 units by 2020.
    the association must have paid a lot of money for those words of wisdom

couldnt they have figured that out by themselves?

they just had to visit China, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and study the motor vehicle manufacturing operations in those countries... talk with the CEOs... talk with local government officials

now that the consulting firm has handed over its research to the association, are the association members gonna follow the recommendations?

as long as the recommendations are in line with the interests of the members

if there are recommendations that go against the interest of some of the members (i'm sure some members are pissed off), the association will fracture
    Last edited by uls; January 6th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    i wasnt enlightened by that

it's vague
    we here in tsikot forums also keep saying that
    Read it again. It was already spelled out.

what's new?
    Its new.
    Its the 2010 MVDP. With new incentives to compete in an almost zero tariff regime. Plus the PBV plan. Unlike the old one. Read carefully the articles I have posted so that you can make some accurate conclusions.

sounds great
    Indeed.

but it's just some guy talking about a dream project
    "the proposed PBV must be so and so..."
    Hmmm...and err..pardon me but who are you to dismissed his statements? Are you a member of the PACCI, CAMPI, MVPMAP or BOI? Underestimating his importance and his comments?

The guy at least knows what he is talking about, being the president of MVPMAP, a major stakeholder of the auto industry and proponent of the new MVDP.

How about you? Are you a major stakeholder of the auto industry in this country? Fact is, he can speak with authority regarding this MVDP plan unlike you.

it's so vague it's not even an actual plan
    Hmmm...you are so good in the art of negativity you failed to realize that the articles I posted are just excerpts of the program. If you want to know more wait when the program is completed by the end of Jan.2010

it's like the discussions here in tsikot
    "the pinoy car will have so and so specs... it will also have so and so features... it will be this... it will be that..."
    To help you with this problem, I suggest you ask for the assistance of the guys who are designing the Tsikot PHUV. Maybe they may explain their proposed "pinoy car" to you.

it's like a guy talking about what kind of car he's gonna build one day... when he gets the chance to build it... and when he has the money
    See. You are right. Ask the one who wants to build the car. And building a car starts from designing it. If you are so impatient about the prototype, I suggest why not provide the money to build it?

the association must have paid a lot of money for those words of wisdom

couldnt they have figured that out by themselves?
    Maybe they are humble and practical enough to know that they are other factors to consider and a reputable research firm can do it for them. They dont assume they know it all.

Unlike other people here in Tsikot, who thinks they know it all and keeps on putting down efforts and abilities of fellow tsikot members.

they just had to visit China, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and study the motor vehicle manufacturing operations in those countries... talk with the CEOs... talk with local government officials
    Brilliant! How come these multinationals with operations in these countries you have mentioned failed to do this or think about this?

now that the consulting firm has handed over its research to the association, are the association members gonna follow the recommendations?
    Perhaps.Or better yet, ask them. Its hard to make assumptions without verifiable basis.

as long as the recommendations are in line with the interests of the members
    Obviously.

if there are recommendations that go against the interest of some of the members (i'm sure some members are pissed off), the association will fracture
    Cant please everybody.

And let the association become fractured. I rather see those pure CBU traders to just close shop because they are not doing anything really good for the local auto industry in so far as its development (investment, employment and local manufacturing) is concern.These CBU traders only makes the Philippines overly dependent on expensive imported auto parts.Making Pinoy consumers hostage to their parts and prices.

But the government's desire to maintain auto manufacturing or assembly operations here should prevail.
    Last edited by jpdm; January 6th, 2010 at 08:55 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    my post:

reply to my post:
    Brilliant! How come these multinationals with operations in these countries you have mentioned failed to do this or think about this?
    huh?

what was that?

what i meant was --- if the local motor vehicle companies wanted to find out why the local motor vehicle industry is so anemic and how to pump up the industry, instead of hiring a consulting firm to tell them what's wrong and what to do, they should have just gone on trips to Asian countries where the motor vehicle industries are on steroids (like China, Thailand)

that's what investors do

wanna learn about the best airport/airline security in the world, go to Israel

wanna learn how to produce massive quantities of ethanol, go to Brazil

wanna learn all about rice, go to IRRI

wanna know why foreign automakers prefer to manufacture in Thailand?

go look for answers in Thailand

go find out what incentives the Thai govt gave automakers that encouraged them to invest in Thailand and come back here and tell the our govt what the Thai govt did and HOPE our govt would do the same

decades ago, the Japanese went to the US to learn how to make TVs and stereos

---

Consulting...

you get paid a lot of money so you can tell people what their problems are and offer them solutions

but you don't give them all the solutions

that way when they fail to fix their problems, they'll keep coming back to you

great racket

if people only tried hard enough, they can find out what their problems are all by themselves
    Last edited by uls; January 6th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    what i meant was --- if the local motor vehicle companies wanted to find out why the local motor vehicle industry is so anemic and how to pump up the industry, instead of hiring a consulting firm to tell them what's wrong and what to do, they should have just gone on trips to Asian countries where the motor vehicle industries are on steroids (like China, Thailand)

that's what investors do

wanna learn about the best airport/airline security in the world, go to Israel

wanna learn how to produce massive quantities of ethanol, go to Brazil

wanna learn all about rice, go to IRRI

wanna know why foreign automakers prefer to manufacture in Thailand?

go look for answers in Thailand

go find out what incentives the Thai govt gave automakers that encouraged them to invest in Thailand and come back here and tell the our govt what the Thai govt did and HOPE our govt would do the same

decades ago, the Japanese went to the US to learn how to make TVs and stereos
    Obviously, you didi not get it.

Again for you to understand.

The local companies the articles (or I'm mentioning) are talking about are local subsidiaries of Japanese and American auto companies that dominate the Asian auto market (except Korea and China) and of course Thailand and the rest of the Asean countries...
    In the Philippines they dominate and control 90% of the market. So your brilliant idea is nothing more but elementary concept to them. They hired the consulting firm from Australia maybe because they what to scientifically prove something what they know via research. At the same time, it will confirm their assumptions and enriched their knowledge of the prevailing conditions in the Philippines.

As I say, they are smart enough to say they dont know everything or other factors that affect the auto industry in the PHILIPPINES and the probable solutions applicable to this country. You cant find all the solutions in other countries. You can only use them as reference. That's why the consulting firm came up with a model using prevailing Philippine situation vis-a-vis our foreign competitors.

I hope you will understand now.

---

Consulting...

you get paid a lot of money so you can tell people what their problems are and offer them solutions

but you don't give them all the solutions

that way when they fail to fix their problems, they'll keep coming back to you

great racket

if people only tried hard enough, they can find out what their problems are all by themselves
    Oh, really.
    Spare me this speculative statements of yours.
    And this issue is definitely irrelevant.

As an observant and reader, Im definitely inclined to believe the authors and proponents (namely the PACCI, MVPMAP and the government's BOI) of the MVDP and the PBV because aside from being the main stakeholders of the auto industry, the program is backed up by a commissioned study/research.

Obviously and very clearly, you are not an authority and not even credible enough to speak about the MVDP and the making statements dismissing the efforts made by the major auto industry players to develop the local auto industry through MVDP.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    In the Philippines they dominate and control 90% of the market. So your brilliant idea is nothing more but elementary concept to them. They hired the consulting firm from Australia maybe because they what to scientifically prove something what they know via research. At the same time, it will confirm their assumptions and enriched their knowledge of the prevailing conditions in the Philippines.
    elementary explanation

they hired the consulting firm so they'll have credible results to show the Phil. govt

our govt will not simply act on recommendations from the business group coz it comes across as too biased when recommendations come from the business group itself

the opinion of a third party like a foreign consulting firm will make the recommendations more credible and less biased

that's why the business group would pay a lot money just for a "study"

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    elementary explanation

they hired the consulting firm so they'll have credible results to show the Phil. govt

our govt will not simply act on recommendations from the business group coz it comes across as too biased when recommendations come from the business group itself

the opinion of a third party like a foreign consulting firm will make the recommendations more credible and less biased

that's why the business group would pay a lot money just for a "study"
    Oh...really...

...definitely sounds like another pure elementary speculative assumption with no basis at all.
    Last edited by jpdm; January 7th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    haha

like you said

you are just an "observant" and "reader"

and you're exactly right

all you do is observe the local auto industry and read news articles

and that makes you what?

an expert on the local auto industry?

someone with "authority" and "credibility"?

haha

wannabe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Cool it boys...

jpdm and uls, both of you are in the same boat.

Neither of you are experts.

No amount of "observation" & "reading" will make you one.

------------------------

*jpdm - no number of cut & paste articles you post in tsikot.com forum will make you an expert in any field.

------------------------

enough said.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    sorry GH

my last post here in this thread

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
The 2010 MVDP: Feat. the "Filipino Car" or Philippine Brand Vehicles