New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    For older cars and cars with smaller engines, the drag of the AC compressor is greater... leading to higher fuel consumption with the AC on (heck, with Nissan Sentras with the Calsonic compressor, it could rob a ton of horsepower). For bigger-engined vehicles, it seems like less of a problem... but setting the AC to the lowest comfortable setting (highest temperature at lowest fan speed that still feels cool from all seats) is always a good idea...
    Highest temperature? Or you mean cooler setting with low fan speed?

You have a point either way, but for optimum fuel economy, the higher the temperature setting, the less work the compressor has to do. The colder the desired setting, the more work the compressor has to do. More work leads to more fuel consumed.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    More often when I'm leaving the house very early in the morning (ie. 6AM or whereabouts), I leave the A/C off for about halfway to my destination or until I start to feel a little discomfort. I try to save up some gas, at least during this leg of my daily commute. It all adds up eventually.

At idle, my car uses about 40-50% more fuel while the compressor is engaged. Though a bit OT, even leaving the shifter on Drive, Reverse, or any gear other than Park or Neutral (A/T only), will use about 20-30% more fuel when idle. I tested this on my 2007 Civic FD 1.8S A/T.

I have a video about the test which I made. Unfortunately, I can only show the link when my post count reaches 10 or above. I'll update this thread then.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    UPDATE from my previous post, the link to the video I was talking about: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPF4NPrz2Q"]YouTube - 8th Gen Civic FD (R18 - A/T) idle fuel consumption[/ame]

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Nice toy... how much does the ScanGauge cost nowadays?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Nice toy... how much does the ScanGauge cost nowadays?
    Thanks. Landed price is about Php 8-9K. It should be about 2K cheaper if not for the additional shipping and taxes.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    For bigger-engined vehicles, it seems like less of a problem...
    yup pansin ko to. sa 1.1L at 1.6L gas cars, may difference talaga sa mileage (mga 1-2 kpl normal driving). pero sa 2.7L na diesel, parang wala. same ang mileage kahit on or off.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Thanks. Landed price is about Php 8-9K. It should be about 2K cheaper if not for the additional shipping and taxes.
    Ah... pero it's OBDII only, right? My car is OBDI...

Here's a tip... next time you buy overseas, check the price on express door-to-door delivery. Next day delivery is very expensive, but there is "regular" door-to-door... sometimes it's cheaper to ship this way (no taxes if it doesn't go through regular mail) ...and sometimes it's just the same... but the package gets there earlier.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm, Niky is looking for a new toy for his car... too bad it won't work on his Ford RS.

OBD II compliant na ata yung SR20... hehehe

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Ah... pero it's OBDII only, right? My car is OBDI...

Here's a tip... next time you buy overseas, check the price on express door-to-door delivery. Next day delivery is very expensive, but there is "regular" door-to-door... sometimes it's cheaper to ship this way (no taxes if it doesn't go through regular mail) ...and sometimes it's just the same... but the package gets there earlier.
    Yeah, only works with OBDII. Sorry.

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely keep that in mind. Though the thing is, most stores/sellers doesn't give you much choice when shipping abroad.

Pardon for going OT.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a little OT:
    easy lang sa mga nag off ng aircon at nagbababa ng windows pag gabi na. an officemate of mine got robbed by two motorcycle riding baddits, one cut and stop infront of his Revo while the other brush up on his side and poke a gun on him. it happened along Q. ave eastbound infront of sto. domingo church.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Turning Off the car aircon, does it help in saving on fuel?