New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I will share my own experience with such products I had a leak in my radiator and engine block freez plug (water jacket) in my 1st gen Kia Sportage with R2 diesel engine loosin coolant about 6 ounce a week. Freeze plug in itself is very cheap but hard to reach. You have to remove a lot of engine components in order to reach it. Very time consuming and labor intensive.

I decided to use a stop leak product. I tried locally available stop leak products (abro, cyclo, quaker city, etc...) in the past in my other car but they do not work well. They stop the leak for a few days then the leak reappears. There are also many negative comments about stop leak products. Some are just like grains that plug the holes and others clog up the system.

That being said, I tried to research and found out that the best product I could get in a short time is Bar's Leaks liquid copper block seal intake and radiator stop leak. It is basically sodium silicate (liquid glass) and copper particles with some other ingredients. It hardens when heated and comes into contact with air. Now there are also negative comments about this product, that it works TOO WELL and seals your radiator fins.

Anyway I used the product and it sealed my leaking freez plug and radiator in less than five hours. The secret is a clean radiator, I flushed my cooling system first before applying the stop leak. Then I added just about 3 ounces into the radiator (not the whole bottle). Run the engine for 15 minutes until it reached operating temperture then let the engine cool down to cure the sodium silicate seal. Check the leak if it is still there and added 3 more ounces of the Bar's Leaks Then run the engime again and letnit cool down. Checked the coolant again the leak is gone and the cooling system was not clogged.

Anyone here have any experience with stop leak products? I would like to hear your experiences.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    distilled water user?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    distilled water user?

No, i used Prestone Radiator protect. It has UV dyes that will light up when exposed to UV light. Easier to detect leaks

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Condotiere View Post
    I will share my own experience with such products I had a leak in my radiator and engine block freez plug (water jacket) in my 1st gen Kia Sportage with R2 diesel engine loosin coolant about 6 ounce a week. Freeze plug in itself is very cheap but hard to reach. You have to remove a lot of engine components in order to reach it. Very time consuming and labor intensive.

I decided to use a stop leak product. I tried locally available stop leak products (abro, cyclo, quaker city, etc...) in the past in my other car but they do not work well. They stop the leak for a few days then the leak reappears. There are also many negative comments about stop leak products. Some are just like grains that plug the holes and others clog up the system.

That being said, I tried to research and found out that the best product I could get in a short time is Bar's Leaks liquid copper block seal intake and radiator stop leak. It is basically sodium silicate (liquid glass) and copper particles with some other ingredients. It hardens when heated and comes into contact with air. Now there are also negative comments about this product, that it works TOO WELL and seals your radiator fins.

Anyway I used the product and it sealed my leaking freez plug and radiator in less than five hours. The secret is a clean radiator, I flushed my cooling system first before applying the stop leak. Then I added just about 3 ounces into the radiator (not the whole bottle). Run the engine for 15 minutes until it reached operating temperture then let the engine cool down to cure the sodium silicate seal. Check the leak if it is still there and added 3 more ounces of the Bar's Leaks Then run the engime again and letnit cool down. Checked the coolant again the leak is gone and the cooling system was not clogged.

Anyone here have any experience with stop leak products? I would like to hear your experiences.

where did you get it and how much? is what you did indicated in the procedure printed in the container?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post
    where did you get it and how much? is what you did indicated in the procedure printed in the container?
    Online. In Lazada. Pero from overseas pa. 1,883.00

In the instructions it says half the 18 oz. Bottle for small 4 cylinder engines and one bottle for bigger engines. But reading in their website they say the ratio is 3 oz. Per gallon. Capacity of my cooling system is a little more than 4 litres. I do not want to add more than what 8s needed ng system ko because i want to avoid the clogging that many people complain about.

Instruction says 5 minutes lang in idle. But since walang thermostat yung engine ko it took longer to reach operating temperature, 15 minutes.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I wouldnt use it long term. copper and aluminum in a circuit will corode over time.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Yeah its a stop gap measure until I have reason to dismantle my intake and exshaust manifolds, alternator and AC compressor in order to reach that little freeze plug