New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I need to install a thermofan switch to control my electric radiator fan. I don't want it on all the time kasi. I want the switch to automatically turn it on or off based on the coolant temperature. This would mean installing the thermoswitch on the engine block or on the radiator itself by boring a hole. If you guys know someone or a shop with experience, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In my limited capability as DIY, the sensor can be placed in the slot of the water INTAKE of the radiator comming from the engine. I'm not sure with a zuk but my frontier have a provision for a sensor (covered ito ng rubber "stopper" na na ka clamp). I think that is the water pump exit.

The principle is that the water/coolant that exits the engine should be hot enough to make the sensor (which is a switch) turn ON.

I think you could DIY it (knowing na mabuting-ting) ka rin naman sa ganyan.

Ang problem ko lang is where to get the sensor. I haven't bought one myself kasi. Baka available sa auto supply store or A/C supply store.

Power up the sensor, when it gets hot enough the sensor engages and the power will trigger a bosch relay and then the relays turns the fan ON.

Ang hindi ko lang alam ay kung ang temperature ng sensor can be adjusted so you can determine when does it turns on and when does it turns off.

my 2 cents.
    Last edited by wildthing; June 30th, 2004 at 07:30 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Finding the thermoswitch is not a problem. Yung para sa Honda and Mitsubishi pwede. Rated siya to open at 84 degrees C. Meron din 88.

Balak ko rin sana is cut my upper radiator hose into 2, insert in between a 3-inch stainless steel pipe. In this pipe, bore ako ng hole then put a thread, and this is where I screw in the thermofan switch.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That is not a bad idea....kaso medyo mahirap humanap ng stainless pipe na makapal for that purpose - beside mahal ang stainless pipe.

Why not start with a standard GI pipe na coupling 3" diameter...wala pang bente pesos siguro ang 4" haba nito.

Then sa machine shop mo ipalagay ang mounting ng sensor.

Pag nagwork, atsaka mo ipakopya to stainless steel ... o kaya ipachrome mo na lang yung ginawa mo o kaya ipa-powder coat mo na lang.

OT
    Ako nga ang balak ko ay lagyan ng radiator ang engine oil and transmission oil ng pick-up ko e. I saw how simple was it in the show of Net 25 - The car guys....when they did that.... napaka simple lang....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wild: I was able to get a 6-inch stainless steel tubing from a shop near Mayon Ave. that specializes in making bullbars. Extra piece lang nila. P20 hiningi sa akin :-) I bought already an extra radiator hose for the Vitara which I will cut into two. Just have to buy the sensor nalang sa Banawe once I have time to go there.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not bad. mounting the sensors na lang ang problem mo. I think you'll need to have a fitting for those sensors para screw on lang...maybe copper fittings na meron thread....or magpasadya ka sa machine shop...mahirap iweld yan kasi manipis ang pipe for stainless TIG welding....balitaan mo kami sa progress....

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think I found what I've been looking for...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/vsc.html

8. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    I've rerouted the coolant flow in a miata based on a project on the net. Some things i picked up from the mod:
    1)Copper tubing conducts heat better than stainless and is easier to weld.
    2) you'll have to put a "ring" on the copper tube as a stopper for the clamp and to prevent the rubber hose from sliding off.
    3) look for a brass fitting to house the thermo switch rather than a simple nut.

Shop specializing in cooling system modification...