New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    mga paps i just need help with my radiator problem.almost 1 week na nito pinapasakit ulo ko

last week kasi i noticed na nauubos yung water sa reservoir ko,so upon checking,i saw na may leak yung bottom part ng radiator which means may butas,so i had it repaired,ok na wala na leak,kaso 2 days ago,while driving from makati to paranaque with ac on,wala naman overheat pero nung naisipan ko ihataw nung lumuwag ang daan with the ac off, i noticed that umangat yung temp like 2 lines above the middle/normal part,so what i did was i turned back on the ac,and bumalik sa normal,when i got home, i turned off the ac and revved the engine up to 4k rpm twice,bigla na naman umangat yung temp pero once i opened the ac,bumalik sa normal,so i figured it maybe the rad fan, i checked the switched,ok naman,and then yesterday,tinesting ko,with ac off,traffic,from paranaque to mckinley hills taguig paikot ikot,wala over heat , then bumiyahe pa ko from sucat to trinoma and back wala pag angat ng temp, tand rad fan works ok nag aautomatic siya,then today i opened the rad cap, i noticed nabawasan yung tubig sa rad,so nag add ako ng mga isat kalahating baso,pero yung reserve na lalagyan,hindi nabawasan,i cant see any leaks from the rad,from the hoses to the bottom part,as in wala,i replaced the rad cap na pala and the hose clamps and visually checked everything pero wala talaga ako makita leak,chaka bakit hindi nababawasan yung reservoir ko di ba dapat pag naubos ang tubig sa rad sa reserve siya hihigop para puno parati yung sa rad,?bakit nababawasan pa din yung radiator ko?

sorry kung mahaba ,all inputs will be appreciated,thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check your auxilliary fan bro.
    they might not be working properly.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    sir i already checked the aux fan and the rad fan,both are working properly,both fans switch on when ac is turned on and with the ac switched off,the rad fan is turning on pag mainit then switched back off pag lumamig na,so im ruling it out,nagtataka lang ako bakit yung coolant sa rad mismo nababawasan pero hindi sa reserve,di ba dapat yung reserve ang mababawasan muna?bakit parang hindi hinihigop yung coolant sa reserve,wala naman ako makita leaks talaga,san tumatagas yung nawawalang water sa rad?sakit sa ulo hehe

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chief,

Check your radiator cap (might be defective already) as well as the hose connecting the radiator and the reservoir (check for loose connections on fittings).

Other things you might wan't to consider checking:
    1. Water Pump, check for signs of leak
    2. Fittings, hose, plugs, look for signs of leak
    3. Thermostat - Might be defective already causing flow restriction, thus abnormal temp and water evap.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    *jvnj

sir the radiator cap is already new,it has a 0.9 rating sa cap,i dont know the rating nung dati na cap kasi dilapidated na,i also doublechecked the hoses and fittings,wala tlga leak and bago din yung mga clamps,i doubt its the water pump kasi wala naman ako nakikita leak dun and walang grinding sound,thermostat na lang di ko na check,pero bakit di naman ako nag ooverheat,like ngayon went from paranaque to mandaluyong,no prob and i can hear the fan na nag aautomatic,will check and find out tomorrow if nabawasan na naman yung coolant sa rad,

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chief,

I forgot to ask you. What model, make and year of your car? When was the last time you overhauled your radiator? Do you use tap water for your radiator? How about a coolant? Other than a faulty thermostat, a clogged radiator restricts water flow thus creates inefficiency.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    kung hindi na humihigop pabalik sa radiator and tubig merong butas yan. check sa mga hose kung merong maputi na sign na natuyong tubig, check mo rin ang water pump baka sira na ang seal at may tagas na ng tubig, or radiator mismo. kung mag check ka masmaganda kung tumatakbo ang makina at mainit na ito. check mo rin kung saan ka nakapark baka doon sa floor makikita mo na kung saan ang basa.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos4age View Post
    mga paps i just need help with my radiator problem.almost 1 week na nito pinapasakit ulo ko

last week kasi i noticed na nauubos yung water sa reservoir ko,so upon checking,i saw na may leak yung bottom part ng radiator which means may butas,so i had it repaired,ok na wala na leak,kaso 2 days ago,while driving from makati to paranaque with ac on,wala naman overheat pero nung naisipan ko ihataw nung lumuwag ang daan with the ac off, i noticed that umangat yung temp like 2 lines above the middle/normal part,so what i did was i turned back on the ac,and bumalik sa normal,when i got home, i turned off the ac and revved the engine up to 4k rpm twice,bigla na naman umangat yung temp pero once i opened the ac,bumalik sa normal,so i figured it maybe the rad fan, i checked the switched,ok naman,and then yesterday,tinesting ko,with ac off,traffic,from paranaque to mckinley hills taguig paikot ikot,wala over heat , then bumiyahe pa ko from sucat to trinoma and back wala pag angat ng temp, tand rad fan works ok nag aautomatic siya,then today i opened the rad cap, i noticed nabawasan yung tubig sa rad,so nag add ako ng mga isat kalahating baso,pero yung reserve na lalagyan,hindi nabawasan,i cant see any leaks from the rad,from the hoses to the bottom part,as in wala,i replaced the rad cap na pala and the hose clamps and visually checked everything pero wala talaga ako makita leak,chaka bakit hindi nababawasan yung reservoir ko di ba dapat pag naubos ang tubig sa rad sa reserve siya hihigop para puno parati yung sa rad,?bakit nababawasan pa din yung radiator ko?

sorry kung mahaba ,all inputs will be appreciated,thanks
    Pare use paragraphs naman, nakakadokleng. :P

Normally the reservoir is attached to the overflow outlet of the radiator to act as a surge tank in instances wherein overpressure situations occur. Given your cooling system is a closed loop and is pressurize by your radiator cap by 1 atmosphere, when the temperature goes down the coolant is drawn back into the radiator.

Now, since you're losing coolant, with no visible leaks or drips, and the reservoir levels aren't going down, it may well be a situation that your system isn't sealed and adequately pressurized, ie. your radiator cap, is no longer sealing properly. Check this and see, there's a chance your coolant is leaking out of the cap on the road during high temp/pressure situations. There should be residue from the coolant present on surfaces.

Secondly, check your oil, there's a good chance that cavitation has occurred well enough that your cooling channels have been corroded and is leaking into the engine's internals. This normally explains any mysterious coolant disappearances. I hope though that this isn't the case for you, as it normally means you need a new cylinder head.

Now overheating. When cruising, ram air going through your grill will provide you roughly the equivalent air volume of your grill at a slightly higher velocity depending on your grill configuration. Personally, I'd prefer more volume after 32kph.

But I digress.

Your A/C is normally dependent on an auxiliary fan, in situations where you're not moving The radiator fan alone is normally designed just to work for the radiator. The thing is, if the auxiliary fan isn't on, it will end up blocking airflow to you radiator. That is why you experienced a temperature drop when you activated your A/C.

Radiators work on fluid heat transfers. Liquid to solid to air. If any of these are blocked, then heat transfer is impeded.

But given your initial experience, I'm assuming your car is at least 8 years old, and you do drive quite a bit it seems. I suspect that your radiator is already corroded internally and that your fins are blocked. Given the number of times you've lost coolant, I have a feeling its only been water used for topping up.

Now if budget allows, I recommend just getting a new one. That way you get an excuse to flush your engine and refill it with a proper coolant mixture.

I mean think of the math.

You use your car for work. If you stall because your radiator blows out on you, you have to pay for towing. You can lose a day of productivity. Get bummed on a date and miss out on ***y time.

Worse, a top overhaul at the very least if this keeps going. All these -way more expensive than a new rad.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos4age View Post
    *jvnj

sir the radiator cap is already new,it has a 0.9 rating sa cap,i dont know the rating nung dati na cap kasi dilapidated na,i also doublechecked the hoses and fittings,wala tlga leak and bago din yung mga clamps,i doubt its the water pump kasi wala naman ako nakikita leak dun and walang grinding sound,thermostat na lang di ko na check,pero bakit di naman ako nag ooverheat,like ngayon went from paranaque to mandaluyong,no prob and i can hear the fan na nag aautomatic,will check and find out tomorrow if nabawasan na naman yung coolant sa rad,
    The filler neck may have been compromised that a seal between its opening and that of the cap is no longer viable.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    Pare use paragraphs naman, nakakadokleng. :P

Normally the reservoir is attached to the overflow outlet of the radiator to act as a surge tank in instances wherein overpressure situations occur. Given your cooling system is a closed loop and is pressurize by your radiator cap by 1 atmosphere, when the temperature goes down the coolant is drawn back into the radiator.

Now, since you're losing coolant, with no visible leaks or drips, and the reservoir levels aren't going down, it may well be a situation that your system isn't sealed and adequately pressurized, ie. your radiator cap, is no longer sealing properly. Check this and see, there's a chance your coolant is leaking out of the cap on the road during high temp/pressure situations. There should be residue from the coolant present on surfaces.

Secondly, check your oil, there's a good chance that cavitation has occurred well enough that your cooling channels have been corroded and is leaking into the engine's internals. This normally explains any mysterious coolant disappearances. I hope though that this isn't the case for you, as it normally means you need a new cylinder head.

Now overheating. When cruising, ram air going through your grill will provide you roughly the equivalent air volume of your grill at a slightly higher velocity depending on your grill configuration. Personally, I'd prefer more volume after 32kph.

But I digress.

Your A/C is normally dependent on an auxiliary fan, in situations where you're not moving The radiator fan alone is normally designed just to work for the radiator. The thing is, if the auxiliary fan isn't on, it will end up blocking airflow to you radiator. That is why you experienced a temperature drop when you activated your A/C.

Radiators work on fluid heat transfers. Liquid to solid to air. If any of these are blocked, then heat transfer is impeded.

But given your initial experience, I'm assuming your car is at least 8 years old, and you do drive quite a bit it seems. I suspect that your radiator is already corroded internally and that your fins are blocked. Given the number of times you've lost coolant, I have a feeling its only been water used for topping up.

Now if budget allows, I recommend just getting a new one. That way you get an excuse to flush your engine and refill it with a proper coolant mixture.

I mean think of the math.

You use your car for work. If you stall because your radiator blows out on you, you have to pay for towing. You can lose a day of productivity. Get bummed on a date and miss out on ***y time.

Worse, a top overhaul at the very least if this keeps going. All these -way more expensive than a new rad.

^^haha ang haba!pero thanks anyway

car is a 1994 corolla gli with a 4efte engine swap,
    i use coolant,radiator is religiously overhauled every year,new clamps,no leaks on hoses,water pump is fine,and definitely no coolant mixed with oil,i think the problem has been solved,the rad cap wasnt locked in tight,hahaha,now i will just need to observe it for a few days, thanks sa mga inputs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast