New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I had to remove mine kasi nag stuck-up na.. advise din ng mechanic. any negative effects since continuously flowing na ang coolant from radiator to engine and back? mine is B20B, honda cr-v '98 auto. tnx guys..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Your engine wont run at its optimal temperature is one...

I'd suggest you change it with a new one as thermostats arent that expensive.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the thermostats in your engine cooling system have several uses:

1. it closes and diverts coolant to the by-pass port when the engine is still cold, allowing the engine to warm up faster -- so removing it will result to longer warm up time, and thus more fuel loss due to less efficiency at lower operating temperatures.

2. it opens and channels the coolant to the radiator when the maximum operating temperature is reached -- removing it actually divides the coolant flow between by-pass and the radiator. therefore, the cooling capacity of the cooling system is DIVIDED INTO HALF, OR 50% of its original cooling capacity since only part of the hot coolant is now passing through the radiator. in extreme case this can even lead to an overheated engine when the required coolant flow to the radiator is more than the 50%.

3. it regulates the coolant flow between by-pass and radiator, making the engine always operate at its OPTIMUM operating temperature. it does this by opening or closing as needed, with the required percentage of coolant either going to the by-pass or to the radiator - removing it then makes your engine operate at LESS THAN optimum conditions since the temperature is no longer controlled. result is less efficient engine performance, and thus lower mileage.

mura lang nyan e, palitan mo na lang ng bago.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    thanks for the info..
    now ko lang nalaman na may by-pass pa pala and cooling system, i thought radiator lang pinunpuntahan nun.. they keep on telling me na pang malalamig na lugar lang daw and thermo-valve, and not suited for the tropics... mahirap talaga magtanong sa mga old mechanics na nasanay sa mga 5K engines ang tinitingnan.

well explained po, i now understand. napansin ko nga na napakatagal bago umakyat sa optimal/ normal temperature from start-up , then it will stabilize sa a bit above normal na temp as compared nung may thermovalve pa, may time din na nag-ooverheat lalo na pag uphill ang biyahe.

ang pinalitan ko lang kasi last week ay yung thermo switch para sa fans, sira rin kasi. ok na daw yun sabi ng good 'ol mechanics.

sayang yata ang coolant at bagong labor na naman.. pero in the long run, efficiency at economy pala ang epekto.

ok,, i will order the part na lang sa honda. wala pa daw stock the last time i checked with hnda makati eh.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    second hand ko na nabili ride ko, how would i know kung meron pang thermo valve? pwede ba sya ma check physically? saan ba yun located?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Crossback usually its positioned between the radiator hose return and the engine. Minsan sa taas minsan sa baba na hose.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ako naman mag tanong:

Yung engine ko 4D56 TDIC....napansin ko about 2 months na i have to refill the coolant reservoir about 1 liter every 2 days. Di naman ako nag overheat maximum gitna lang yung temp.

I had the thermostat replaced 6 months ago kasi di na gumagana (laging naka bukas) so ang tagal uminit pag umaga nung engine.

Anyway nung tuesday pag dating sa bahay i left the engine running, got a wet cloth and opened the radiator cap (released the pressure) then checked if the water was flowing. (gitna yung temp gauge at this time).

Hindi gumagalaw! Ni rev ko pa a couple of times , pero wala still waters!

Sira na ba thermostat ko? Mali kaya kabit nung mechanic? Someone told me may jigger valve daw ito to let the air out and baka baliktad kabit?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka taiwan o china nabili mo sir, dami immitation car parts e. hard to tell kasi yung orig sa jafake, parehas na parehas pati packaging. pero pag ginamit mo na dun mo lang makita na peke pala.

pero kung di nag-open yung thermostat dapat e nag-overheat na yan. baka naman na-tyempuhan mo lang na nasa minimum opening ng thermostat kaya di mo kita na nag-flow yung water.

try mo muna palitan yung radiator cap mo, maybe that will solve the water loss problem.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have always removed the thermostat valves of all our cars. they have never caused me problems. in fact, they have proven to be an advantage during heavy traffic.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Na pa check ko na kanina...water hos (naka letter U) sa likod may crack na buti na lang di ako inabutan sa malayo at bumigay.
    Will observe the next few days kung di na magbawas.

Yebo: Tama ka mukhang min. opening nga siguro kaya di ko nakita yung flow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
removing thermo valve ng cooling system, side effects?