New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

car is lancer glx 2k (pizza). there is no heater core installed right from the factory. in the engine bay, there is this one hose that is simply looped back as a form of bypass of the heater core.

question is, what if i simply remove this hose and just block off both holes? what would be the effect? will the coolant be trapped resulting to overheating?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    if that's intended for heater core there shouldn't have a negative effect on your cooling systems if you decide to remove it

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. Many cars without heater cores come with plugs on those attachments.

If there's nothing wrong with the hose, though... just keep it as is... changing it for plugs won't give you any extra security... in fact, pressure building up behind the plug might make it worm its way loose over time... happened to us in a Civic a few years back... we replaced the plug with a rubber cap meant for the leg of a footstool and fastened it with an O-ring (this happened on a Sunday... no auto-shops). Far as I know... now that the car is with the next owner... that cap is still there...

Keep the hose... or just replace it with another one.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    actually, there is no problem with the hose. ka ek ekan ko lang kasi harang sya e. its hard to reach the parts under the hose. hassle kung baga.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah. Ok. You can plug the outlets... some cars come from the dealership with plugs instead of a bypass... but IMHO, it's not really worth doing.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yup. Many cars without heater cores come with plugs on those attachments.

If there's nothing wrong with the hose, though... just keep it as is... changing it for plugs won't give you any extra security... in fact, pressure building up behind the plug might make it worm its way loose over time... happened to us in a Civic a few years back... we replaced the plug with a rubber cap meant for the leg of a footstool and fastened it with an O-ring (this happened on a Sunday... no auto-shops). Far as I know... now that the car is with the next owner... that cap is still there...

Keep the hose... or just replace it with another one.
    This happened to me yesterday on my wrangler with 4JG2 engine it seems that the hose used to bypass the heater core got a crack in it.good thing i noticed my engine temperature fluctuate so i pulled over and took a look at it and to my luck it happened in front of a auto repair shop.It does look kind of ugly and the bypass hose also gets in the way. It is very important to check and replace radiator hoses regularly dont wait for them to leak or break.this little things if left unattended can lead to more expensive repairs (overhaul).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

car is lancer glx 2k (pizza). there is no heater core installed right from the factory. in the engine bay, there is this one hose that is simply looped back as a form of bypass of the heater core.

question is, what if i simply remove this hose and just block off both holes? what would be the effect? will the coolant be trapped resulting to overheating?

What is your objective?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    my objective is to simply clear that particular area. mahirap mangalikot kapag me harang.

remove heater core bypass hose and simply plug it