New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Sir, just a tip of advise lang po. Since my radiator havent been touched almost 5yrs now, Im planning to have it flushed and cleaned then lagay ng coolant, but the radiator guy insisted to have it overhauled even if he havent seen my unit.
    Kelangan na po bang ipaoverhaul agad ang radiator vs flush? Mejo tight po kasi ang budget kaya cleaning lang sana ang ipagagawa ko. The reason kung bakit ko po ipapalinis muna at lagay coolant ay lately mejo mabilis umakyat ang temp but not to the extent na nag-ooverheat (I believe dun na rin po papunta yun sa kalaunan)...also, 4 yrs ago pa nung huli akong naglagay ng coolant.

FYI, bago po ang radiator cap, just bought it over a month ago.

May kinalaman din ba ang alternator sa overheat problem? Drop po kasi ng 2 lines ang rpm ko everytime I open up my headlights (from 900 to 700). Also, in one of the threads Ive read, sir speedy suggested to "replace all ground wires of the car and clean off the surfaces na pinaglalagyan"..applicable din po kaya ito sa slight overheating issue ng auto ko?
    Alam ko gasgas natong tanong na to.Overheating problems

Ride is nissan 86. Ty

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    If your radiator is the original one, go for an overhaul. Its about 1000 to 1500 pesos only. The refill with 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant. Dont forget to burp the car. While your at it, check the t-stat and replace of needed. Do the same with the water pump, rad hoses, fans and v-belts.

Flushing is good but it wont clean out your rad 100%. A overhaul should also inc checking and fixing any minor leaks.

A grounding kit should help your car. You can diy or get a shop to do it. Use real 8 awg wire. dont get those that comes in its, they are usually undersized. Or better yet, go for a big 3 upgrade. The big three upgrades your bat neg to ground, engine block to ground and alt to bat + wires with 4 awg or bigger wire. The big 3 should cost about 1500 pesos. No idea how much for grounding kit. Either way, you need to clean and remove any paint from the grounding point.

Speedyfix is a very good shop. if he is taking care of your car, your in good hands.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    If your radiator is the original one, go for an overhaul. Its about 1000 to 1500 pesos only. The refill with 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant. Dont forget to burp the car. While your at it, check the t-stat and replace of needed. Do the same with the water pump, rad hoses, fans and v-belts.

Flushing is good but it wont clean out your rad 100%. A overhaul should also inc checking and fixing any minor leaks.

A grounding kit should help your car. You can diy or get a shop to do it. Use real 8 awg wire. dont get those that comes in its, they are usually undersized. Or better yet, go for a big 3 upgrade. The big three upgrades your bat neg to ground, engine block to ground and alt to bat + wires with 4 awg or bigger wire. The big 3 should cost about 1500 pesos. No idea how much for grounding kit. Either way, you need to clean and remove any paint from the grounding point.

Speedyfix is a very good shop. if he is taking care of your car, your in good hands.

Negative sir userfriendly, hinde si sir speedy ang naghahandle ng auto..but I would love to, Ive heard several good feedbacks to his shop :-)
    I also have a high respect to the person esp in helping newbies like me.

Sir wala pong thermostat un auto when I bought it..tsaka dati nmn pong walang overheat issue, lately na lang :-(
    Un bang big 3 upgrades sir eh advisable sa lumang modelong like mine? Pwede po bang isa to sa culprit? Gusto ko po sana mag-umpisa muna sa cheapest. TY

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Start with rad overhaul and check the rest of the cooling system. Hopefully that solves your temp prob. I doubt that your electricals have anything to do with your temp problem. Fix your temp first. From your description, it seems like a clogged or dirty rad or weak/slow fan.

The big 3 and the grounding kit basically does the same thing which is to improve your grounds and electrical flow. That should solve your dropping rpm.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CarPainter View Post
    Sir, just a tip of advise lang po. Since my radiator havent been touched almost 5yrs now, Im planning to have it flushed and cleaned then lagay ng coolant, but the radiator guy insisted to have it overhauled even if he havent seen my unit.
    Kelangan na po bang ipaoverhaul agad ang radiator vs flush? Mejo tight po kasi ang budget kaya cleaning lang sana ang ipagagawa ko. The reason kung bakit ko po ipapalinis muna at lagay coolant ay lately mejo mabilis umakyat ang temp but not to the extent na nag-ooverheat (I believe dun na rin po papunta yun sa kalaunan)...also, 4 yrs ago pa nung huli akong naglagay ng coolant.

May kinalaman din ba ang alternator sa overheat problem? Drop po kasi ng 2 lines ang rpm ko everytime I open up my headlights (from 900 to 700). Also, in one of the threads Ive read, sir speedy suggested to "replace all ground wires of the car and clean off the surfaces na pinaglalagyan"..applicable din po kaya ito sa slight overheating issue ng auto ko?

Ride is nissan 86. Ty
    Wala naman po sir kinalaman yung alternator sa overheat problem, natural lang dahil gumagana yung alternator, regarding naman sa radiator, not enough yung procedure na balak mo, mas ok kung ipa overhaul mo na, mas malilinis yun dahil lahat ng tube malilinis pati mga bara matatangal, yun din kase ang cause mabilis umakyat yung temp dahil hindi na maganda yung circulation ng tubig, mura lang naman yung overhaul ng radiator, nasa 400-600 lang

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KIANTOT View Post
    Wala naman po sir kinalaman yung alternator sa overheat problem, natural lang dahil gumagana yung alternator, regarding naman sa radiator, not enough yung procedure na balak mo, mas ok kung ipa overhaul mo na, mas malilinis yun dahil lahat ng tube malilinis pati mga bara matatangal, yun din kase ang cause mabilis umakyat yung dahil hindi na maganda yung circulation ng tubig, mura lang naman yung overhaul ng radiator, nasa 400-600 lang

Noted sir KIANTOT. Thanks

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CarPainter View Post

Ride is nissan 86. Ty
    Kung minsan may kinalaman din ang alternator kaya nag overheat, Kasi po maluwag yong alternator belt, dumudulas na yong belt sa water pump pulley, kailangan higpitan. kapag nag i stick na yong bearing sa alternator, apektado ang belt at ikot ng mga pulley sa makina. kung nag overheat ang engine, huwag agad titingnan sa radiator. tingnan kung may mga leaks sa mga hose, sa fan (motor), thermostat, at baka kulang lang sa coolant water. kung mahigit 2 years na yong radiator, puede ng ipa overhaul.

Radiator overhaul or just cleaning will do?