New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2008
    Is there a way to keep the radiator fan working until the temp has gone down after the engine has been shut down. My bigbody's rad fan turns off once the engine is off. It should prevent coolant loss into the overflow tank due to boil over. Without a PCM for control, it would probably have to be some sort of thermostat or timer. Maybe something similar to a turbo timer. Ty.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    running the rad fan with out the water pump is useless.. what you need is a manual override so you can turn on the rad fan when you are nearing your destination.. that way your engine can cool down and avoid heat soak

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just a thought... the rad fan is powered by the alternator or the battery. if you turn off the engine, there would be no power.... san ka kukuha ng pang popower mo sa rad fan?

4. Join Date
    May 2008
    . It's meant to cool down the radiator after the engine had been shut off. I have had instances that boiling coolant filled the overflow tank and spilled out the breather hose. Never had the trouble with my trooper as the radiator fan stayed on until the temp had dropped even after the engine was turned off. Noticed that newer cars also have this function because it's PCM controlled.
    the switch will have to be wired directly to the battery for power to bypass the ignition switch. Maybe a timer would suffice.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Normally if your engine is properly maintained, it should operate well within the performance range of your radiator.

So much so that when you shut it off it should no longer require your fan to be continually running as the engine isn't adding any more heat to your system.

Those fans, depending on capacity, can draw quite a bit of current and will take its toll on your battery life.

I would instead recommend that you flush your engine and radiator thoroughly. Blowing air through your radiator (max 10 psi) on a dry day might help dislodge dust and debris from your radiator fins.

Manually engaging the fan post shut down is a band aid solution at best and an invitation to overheating at worse.

Supposing your air side is clean, your radiator's efficiency drops dramatically if and when internal corrosion occurs. This becomes more prevalent in systems where water is exclusively used.

Radiator fan Auto control