New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    I have tried to search the forums, but the search function does not work more than one time per computer power up, exactly the type of website programming I would expect living here in the Philippines.
    I need to source a cheap preferably used radiator for my owner type jeep, toyota 4k engine. I dont care if it is not a simple 'drop in and fit', if I need to drill some holes and make it fit, so be it.

Bit of a rant here:
    Took my current one to a radiator shop after it exploded and they charged me 350 peso (that's a days pay for the average Filipino, of course I got the skin tax) to clean the tubes, and resolder the top tank on.
    Got it back, it was leaking. Took it back, he added more solder.
    Now the fins are leaking so I'm not game to take it to a repair shop again, they just screw me to the ground because of my skin.
    I am the poorest foreigner in this country. I'm unemployed, have next to no money, the Jeep is not even mine, its my fathers. They jsut see me rock up in it and their eyes light up with dollar signs and the stupid figures just start to get thrown around like im a f#$%ng idiot.

Please someone help me, where can I get a cheap replacement?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    You can try getting a replacement plastic or aluminum top radiator, this is usually made in Taiwan, Thailand or other S.E. Asia countries. They are much cheaper than copper-brass radiators. Another option is using second hand radiators (surplus in the local lingo) but you may again encounter the similar issues you're having.

Try scouting at any auto supply shop near you. Places like Banawe st. in Quezon City, Evangelista st. in Makati, and LRT EDSA Taft in Pasay City have quite a large selection of auto supply shops and you can also haggle a bit.

Last year I was quoted a Nissan Pathfinder radiator for Php2000, this was in Banawe

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    First, where is your location?
    There are some shop that they called " pinoy surplus" spare parts from locally chop-chop vehicles, you'll find it more cheaper than the usual surplus spare parts.
    Secondly, when I still had a jeep like yours they charged me 700 pesos for the repair. So, i can say that 350 is a great bargain.
    The usual price you can get for a surplus radiator is roughly 2k up to 3k depends how you bargain.
    Lastly, take some local friend to bargain for you.
    Goodluck!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Sorry I forgot to mention, im in Cebu, currently in Toledo on the east coast, but always crossing the hills to visit my dad in Consolacion.

Particle X, I'm struggling to find any supplier that sells radiators, i dont really understand what kind of store you need to go to here to get a radiator. It's not something an automotive parts store sells. They just look at me with a disgusted face and tell me WALA, with no hint as to where I might try, just point their lips to the sky and nod their head as if to say, "move away from the store sir"!!
    I do like the idea of a plastic tank though!

Things are very hard to find here. Everything is just re-used and repaired, but never repaired properly.
    Everyone drives around without radiator caps and just fills their radiators with tap water as it evaporates or spills out, causing a build-up of lime that you wouldn't believe is possible.
    I took my 4k apart and did the rings, head gasket, valve seals and carby, and in the process, i found the cylinder head was 100% clogged with lime. no water passage at all.
    Also, the head gasket taht was on there did not have all the holes stamped in it for water to get from the water jackets into the head on cylinders 2 and 4, proving the mechanic just threw a head gasket on without checking that it was appropriate.

Hey Mentis, they see me and my white skin, and the price doesn't budge, hahaha.
    Unfortunately Ako Uyab is not experienced enough to ask for the part that I need. Whenever we try that, its a disaster, we end up with the wrong part and no possibility of a return. Not to mention I dont like the idea of using her to save me money.

Side note:
    I even had an automotive parts store here in Toledo try to sell me a 60 PHP fuel filter, for 180. When i asked Pila Ni, they all looked at each other as if to say "wow how much are we going to F*&k this guy". Then when he said 180, the girls with him laughed and smacked his bum. The most disgraceful attitude.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Upon approaching any store, try to speak loud first a cebuano words so it will send out a clear message that you are not a tourist anymore and you are a permanent resident now, and were just like them that count every cents that goes out from your pocket 😄

6. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Forgot to add, inquire the price of any part 3 or more shop before you buy and try to haggle the price even though it is the lowest price quoted

7. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    oh yes ive learnt that trick, haha. and thats good advice too, for anyone moving to the philippines.
    I am learning bisaya, but its silly to walk in somewhere and start with Bisaya, as they then start talking in bisaya and I can only understand so much.

ANd Yep, i used tht trick to get the headgasket and rings, i have a piece of paper, and i scribble down the storename and prices in front of them, and then move on too the next store, it gets cheaper and cheaper the more text they see written down on the page.
    First shop wanted about 1250 for a headgasket and 900 for rings
    Second wants 1450 for gasket and 800 for rings (allbeit a better quality gasket)
    Third shop, I put the paper down in front of them and didnt let the see the prices in any detail, they spent some time walking around obviously asking each other if they should charge me stupid silly foreigner prices. The price ended up coming down to a total of 1200 for both parts.

Cant seem to have such luck with prices on a radiator though.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    You may have more luck finding a radiator in other cities... Have you tried downtown Cebu City? You can also ask an auto supply shop if they can acquire a radiator for you, they usually have contacts on other shops.

Try contacting Evercool radiators (i do not have any relation with them): Contact they sell locally made radiators and accept shipping. Can be pricey though.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiliKoAmericano View Post
    Bit of a rant here:
    Took my current one to a radiator shop after it exploded and they charged me 350 peso (that's a days pay for the average Filipino, of course I got the skin tax) to clean the tubes, and resolder the top tank on.
    Got it back, it was leaking. Took it back, he added more solder.
    Now the fins are leaking so I'm not game to take it to a repair shop again, they just screw me to the ground because of my skin.
    I pay close to Php1000 for radiator overhaul (4K engine also). It lasts for years. In fact the radiator braces are the ones breaking down but the radiator itself is not leaking.

Try looking for a good radiator repairman.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    yeh ok. Perhaps these guys were just twats.
    Seems crazy to think that it could cost that much. 1000 pesos is over 2 days labour. and labour is pretty much the only thing involved, maybe a bit of tin and lead and some gas.
    I have a feeling these guys didn't clean one of the tubes at the end, where it is now leaking, causing that tube to stay cool while the others expanded as the hot coolant flowed through them, pushing the top tank up and leaving the clogged tube cold and short pulling it out of the top tank causing the leak. (i hope that makes sense)
    I have put 2 stop leak treatments through it about a month ago, which seemed to do something, but I feel that will no longer work as the damn thing is probably a wobbly mess now.

I will try to find this Evercool mob, but finding stores in Cebu is always a hassle. No addresses, no one can give directions, I usually write-off an entire day just trying to find something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast