New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Our van's temperature rises when the vehicle is at a stand still or at a crawling pace but goes back down once it starts moving at highway speeds. That means that i would have to shut down my engine during heavy traffic.
    When I check the water/coolant reservoir it's always full, but I constantly need to fill up the radiator with at least 500-1000 ml of water every other day. The radiator has already been overhauled. The aircon on the other hand does not shut off automatically. I don't know if the thermostat is busted or if the temperature is not cold enough to signal the thermostat to shut down the compressor. In any case, does the continuous operation of the compressor contribute to the overheating? Is it also bad for the compressor?
    Hope you guys can help. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    A/C problem:
    Could be the A/C relay is stuck, have it check.

Overheating at traffic or idling:
    Is the fan coming on? At your home, let idle your car for at least 10 minutes or so w/ the hood open and watch the temperature gauge as rises to almost overheating, if the fan doesnt kick in that is your problem. Could it be the motor, relay or sensor. If you have a secondary fan for A/C check that thing too. You have to replace your thermostat also, replacing it will not harm your engine and they are cheap.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    have your cooling fan circuit checked as well as the cylinder head . there is a chance that the head is damaged since you've been loosing coolant. good luck

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My nanay's L300 had the same problems. Solution: we replaced the radiator with a new one and this time, we replaced with a "2-row" type. Ayun, problem solved.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ganyan din ung l300 namin dito fb diesel walang aircon pero over heat din,, nasira na nga yung sensor ng temp gauge???

hangang sa ma-overhauled na ang makina,.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the inputs! Will have the AC checked this weekend. Ruled out
    radiator since it's just been overhauled. Regarding the fan, the van is equipped the mechanical type, the one attached to the engine, so that it's constantly turning. I checked the fan this morning and tried to turn it. To my surprise you could make it spin with a flick of the finger. I read somewhere that this shouldn't be the case. That the fan should only turn once you start the engine. Meaning if the fan is loose then it's not really spinning as fast as it should at idle or at low speeds. Hence the over heating. Cause once you travel fast then the outside air compensates for the weak fan.
    Does anyone know how to fix the fan? Can this be DIYed? Or do you know of a reputable shop here in Las Piñas who can fix this?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    silicon oil lang katapat nyan sir kahit sa gasoline station kayang kaya yan?

madali lang namn baklasin ang fan ng L300

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Ok Thanks! Any idea how much this would cost. Mahirap na mataga ngayong mataas na presyo ng gasolina. hehehe

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    if its the mechanical type na fan, the fan's clutch could be the problem.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Removed mechanical fan myself. Fairly easy just four screws. Much like removing a tire. Tricky part is removing the plastic cover around the fan. I can only remove the two screws which were exposed but not the other two which were hidden under the driver's seat. Since one side of the plastic was already broken, I just broke the other side so that i could easily lift the fan clutch out. Brought it to Roger Auto care. They charged me 150 for the labor. I just had to buy 3 vials of silicon oil costing 65 each. 345 total cost. Not bad!
    Just had to mighty bond plastic cover though!

Will be testing the van tomorrow. Hope this solves the problem!
    Will post the results tomorrow.
    Abangan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
L300 Exceed Overheating Problem